The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Atmos Home Theater Mix Studio Monitors
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Trinov Altitude 32 (32 channels) and Storm Audio ISP 3D.32 ELITE I think go beyond 11.1
This is an older thread and reflects the market at that time, although I still can count on one hand the number of civilians I know who even have 5.1 systems and if anyone I know has Home Atmos they never mentioned it to me and I've never seen one. I suppose that says more about my friends than consumer trends.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
This is an older thread and reflects the market at that time, although I still can count on one hand the number of civilians I know who even have 5.1 systems and if anyone I know has Home Atmos they never mentioned it to me and I've never seen one. I suppose that says more about my friends than consumer trends.
The main way I see Atmos entering the home market in a big way is via sound bars. Most people just will not or can not put up with all the extra external speaker gak involved with Atmos (incl "bouncy-house" speakers, which only work in rooms with relatively low, flat ceilings). They will buy an Atmos-capable bar and plug it into their TV and forget all about it. If TV makers figure out a way to put something like a sound bar in their TVs most people will go for that, esp if it works automatically and doesn't require any peripherals.
Old 12th July 2018
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
The main way I see Atmos entering the home market in a big way is via sound bars. Most people just will not or can not put up with all the extra external speaker gak involved with Atmos (incl "bouncy-house" speakers, which only work in rooms with relatively low, flat ceilings). They will buy an Atmos-capable bar and plug it into their TV and forget all about it. If TV makers figure out a way to put something like a sound bar in their TVs most people will go for that, esp if it works automatically and doesn't require any peripherals.
This and even more so IMO the headphone virtualization.
This is where our consumers are mainly these days.

As a broadcaster, to make a business decision to invest into the Atmos ecosystem (and the big factor there is AC4 licensing costs I'd assume) based on a handful of hi end home cinemas would be madness economically.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Among some people I know, myself included, Atmos is part of a fancied up MOVIE experience, in other words kind of the same thing we've had since the Lumiere Bros. but better in all ways that the Lumiere films were not great at. But really the same thing: a screen, in front of you now with sound that can be all around but that has to support action that's on that same screen, that is in front of you, still. That's why viewers (correctly) see it as an add-on to the same basic medium. For many of us the real action is in real "immersive" formats like forms of 360 etc, where you really ARE in the middle of the movie, this is seen as a genuinely new medium that is in its infancy. Surround sound takes on new meaning in a 360 project. I wonder if it will always be confined to headset/headphone playback, until we get "holodecks"?
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Quote:

So true, no one that I know in the industry or friends/family have ATMOS and non industry have no idea what it is. I have to always literally explain in details from scratch, stereo to 5.1 to 7.1 to 7.1.4 to my 9.3.4.

In my smaller theater I have a 5.1.4 ATMOS Soundbar. It has separate wireless subs with 2 wireless surrounds and it does NOT come ANYWHERE close to what a real ATMOS sounds like.

On the other AVS hometheater forums, this is a normal set up and some are set up with 9.2.6. But outside of that world it seems non existent.

ATMOS makes regular surround feel like its stereo.
I don't have Kardashian money, but my dream is to one day go 9.1.6
Or what ever new speaker/channel lineup they come up with. I started out with Dolby Prologic in the 90's and thought that was an awesome experience! Then came true 5.1, then 6.1 (center rear speaker, I only know of EX having that) and I thought WHAO! center rear? it did add some depth, well for that time. Then 7.1 was the new guy.
Now were in the ATMOS world and some super high end systems can go up to something like 16 ATMOS which is two rows of 8 ATMOS. And of coarse most receivers now do 2 subs (I just used a splitter on mine to get the .3

I feel Dolby will sit on ATMOS for a while till it full trickles down to the home audience. After all Netflix offers ATMOS.

So it's just a matter of time till our newest format evolves and something new comes out. I really can't think of what they'll come up with. Since 20 years ago non of us thought of cutting 10" holes in our ceiling and putting speakers above our heads in the home.

Last edited by SDDP; 13th July 2018 at 07:04 PM..
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I don't have Kardashian money, but my dream is to one day go 9.16
That's a lot of subs, but I can relate. I have 7
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Cain't have too many subs!
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
That's a lot of subs, but I can relate. I have 7
Lol

Sorry, I meant 9.1.6
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cain't have too many subs!
Kinky.....
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Good grief. Only two here. In my city it's probably not a good idea to shake the fillings lose off people three floors down, so that'll be my limit for a while.

A lot of my foreign language mixes focus on the lowest common denominator, with 5.1 getting a good balance pass. That has more to do with dialogue rarely being panned about though.

The guy who repaired my mixing sub has at least 3 in his small Atmos-like setup of what I can only assume are at least 18 inch woofers. I wouldn't mind those, if they hurt nobody.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Virtual reality should be the future, 9.1.6 may not be enough
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe - maybe not.

Audio for VR platforms is, frankly, a pain in the ass and really not worth the end result. Unlike an installation, with VR you have to deal with the result of individual HRTF - which means that a lot of the overhead and surround information in a VR encoded audio stream will be heard differently across the user base (IE, some people don't hear the overhead or surround audio properly or at all.) It has a really long way to go. The gaming industry has better tools to deal with some of the other issues (headlocked vs rotating) than we do in narrative content. It will be interesting to see, but I am not holding my breath.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB117 View Post
Virtual reality should be the future, 9.1.6 may not be enough
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I own a Home Atmos system. I think the potential is mostly in video games at the moment. It’s very hard to find content to play that’s actually mixed for Home Atmos, which is a real shame. Most Atmos film mixes seem like 7.1 and an afterthought of objects here and there.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshults View Post
I own a Home Atmos system. I think the potential is mostly in video games at the moment. It’s very hard to find content to play that’s actually mixed for Home Atmos, which is a real shame. Most Atmos film mixes seem like 7.1 and an afterthought of objects here and there.
Depends on what genre of films, I built a custom home theater with a 9.3.4 Dolby ATMOS and was elated to notice a good amount of my 3D Blu Rays and non 3D BR have ATMOS on them. And most HT systems have a built in upmixer from both Dolby ATMOS or DTS-Nueral X that fully utilize the ATMOS speakers.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Absolutely, it’s only the more recent films.

With the new version of Pro Tools, I hope that in the near future editors will start track laying in Atmos instead of leaving a few objects in a 7.1 edit to the mixers.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I know quite a few friends & family with 5.1 systems, but can't recall anyone with a 7.1 system, never mind Atmos. I just don't believe very many homeowners are going to bother with ceiling speakers. I can see Atmos making inroads towards headphone gaming experiences for sure, though!

My thought is that the industry should be working to make surround speakers easier to set-up & install for the average homeowner. ie. more wireless solutions.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd be happy to see 5.1 as the across the board distribution standard for everything "home':film/games/Vr/cellphones,etc. Object stuff only makes sense to me when the consumer is moving through a space such as in 3D games on computers. Seems like all these "surround object standards" have just confused the home market with a hype factor which hasn't got the consumer base to 5.1 in general like what happened in the old days, I like the Netflix and apple standard documents as a guide post on getting all stereo distribution channels moved over to 5.1 as the "new" consumer standard. I like 5.1 if nothing else, because it has clean dialog center, where consumers even on cell phones in transit could adjust the center in noisy environments. Just to me a lot of benefits of replacing stereo with 5.1, and this old thread is an example of problem with consumer deployment of these new fenangled audio standards that never get to mass market volumes so hurt the industry in general.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search