The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Atmos Home Theater Mix Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Trinov Altitude 32 (32 channels) and Storm Audio ISP 3D.32 ELITE I think go beyond 11.1
This is an older thread and reflects the market at that time, although I still can count on one hand the number of civilians I know who even have 5.1 systems and if anyone I know has Home Atmos they never mentioned it to me and I've never seen one. I suppose that says more about my friends than consumer trends.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
This is an older thread and reflects the market at that time, although I still can count on one hand the number of civilians I know who even have 5.1 systems and if anyone I know has Home Atmos they never mentioned it to me and I've never seen one. I suppose that says more about my friends than consumer trends.
The main way I see Atmos entering the home market in a big way is via sound bars. Most people just will not or can not put up with all the extra external speaker gak involved with Atmos (incl "bouncy-house" speakers, which only work in rooms with relatively low, flat ceilings). They will buy an Atmos-capable bar and plug it into their TV and forget all about it. If TV makers figure out a way to put something like a sound bar in their TVs most people will go for that, esp if it works automatically and doesn't require any peripherals.
Old 5 days ago
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
The main way I see Atmos entering the home market in a big way is via sound bars. Most people just will not or can not put up with all the extra external speaker gak involved with Atmos (incl "bouncy-house" speakers, which only work in rooms with relatively low, flat ceilings). They will buy an Atmos-capable bar and plug it into their TV and forget all about it. If TV makers figure out a way to put something like a sound bar in their TVs most people will go for that, esp if it works automatically and doesn't require any peripherals.
This and even more so IMO the headphone virtualization.
This is where our consumers are mainly these days.

As a broadcaster, to make a business decision to invest into the Atmos ecosystem (and the big factor there is AC4 licensing costs I'd assume) based on a handful of hi end home cinemas would be madness economically.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Among some people I know, myself included, Atmos is part of a fancied up MOVIE experience, in other words kind of the same thing we've had since the Lumiere Bros. but better in all ways that the Lumiere films were not great at. But really the same thing: a screen, in front of you now with sound that can be all around but that has to support action that's on that same screen, that is in front of you, still. That's why viewers (correctly) see it as an add-on to the same basic medium. For many of us the real action is in real "immersive" formats like forms of 360 etc, where you really ARE in the middle of the movie, this is seen as a genuinely new medium that is in its infancy. Surround sound takes on new meaning in a 360 project. I wonder if it will always be confined to headset/headphone playback, until we get "holodecks"?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Quote:

So true, no one that I know in the industry or friends/family have ATMOS and non industry have no idea what it is. I have to always literally explain in details from scratch, stereo to 5.1 to 7.1 to 7.1.4 to my 9.3.4.

In my smaller theater I have a 5.1.4 ATMOS Soundbar. It has separate wireless subs with 2 wireless surrounds and it does NOT come ANYWHERE close to what a real ATMOS sounds like.

On the other AVS hometheater forums, this is a normal set up and some are set up with 9.2.6. But outside of that world it seems non existent.

ATMOS makes regular surround feel like its stereo.
I don't have Kardashian money, but my dream is to one day go 9.1.6
Or what ever new speaker/channel lineup they come up with. I started out with Dolby Prologic in the 90's and thought that was an awesome experience! Then came true 5.1, then 6.1 (center rear speaker, I only know of EX having that) and I thought WHAO! center rear? it did add some depth, well for that time. Then 7.1 was the new guy.
Now were in the ATMOS world and some super high end systems can go up to something like 16 ATMOS which is two rows of 8 ATMOS. And of coarse most receivers now do 2 subs (I just used a splitter on mine to get the .3

I feel Dolby will sit on ATMOS for a while till it full trickles down to the home audience. After all Netflix offers ATMOS.

So it's just a matter of time till our newest format evolves and something new comes out. I really can't think of what they'll come up with. Since 20 years ago non of us thought of cutting 10" holes in our ceiling and putting speakers above our heads in the home.

Last edited by SDDP; 4 days ago at 07:04 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I don't have Kardashian money, but my dream is to one day go 9.16
That's a lot of subs, but I can relate. I have 7
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Cain't have too many subs!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
That's a lot of subs, but I can relate. I have 7
Lol

Sorry, I meant 9.1.6
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cain't have too many subs!
Kinky.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search