The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RX4
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddguy View Post
Then you will get the free update.
The webpage says after 8/7 which was just two days ago, although sometimes an appeal to the company for leniency on the date works. It has worked for me in the past in other situations.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
I've used every EQ matching plugin ever made. Non of them get me anything close to what I can do with my ears.
Have you tried Roger Nichols Digital Frequal-izer?
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
There was no audio differences I could notice between RX2 and RX3 standard edition….. just a nice GUI.. so I didn't upgrade.. now version 4 they throw in the
the Dia Denoiser.. the upgrade is a no brainer… jumped straight on to the deal.
I get better results with 3 vs 2, and it seems to run smoother as well.

The website now says anyone who bought RX3 after July 1 will get RX4.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

Unfortunately I upgraded in June.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

I must not have been the only one begging for some slack. They changed it the day after i emailed them.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
The best reason, IMO, for going with the upgrade to Advanced is that they throw in Insight, which is a really incredible meter plugin.
That addition was a nice surprise. I was just upgrading for the dialog denoiser, some advanced settings and the deconstruction stuff. Upgraded before the deadline, so I'll be taking a very hard look at how much an upgrade is worth to me.

Since I use Reaper for most of my work these days, I don't require any kind of roundtrip solution. It's built in to Reaper, as I can work on the complete item, save under new name and just swap out the source file for the offending items, or just work on a copy of the current item.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear
Somewhat related. Anyone know any good resources or crash courses for RX3? Some reference for "I've got this issue I've not seen before, what's a sensible way to tackle it?" Got to get some new people up to speed.

Speaking of which I've got an off camera door slam that times perfectly with a plosive B the actor is saying. I've tried deconstruct, spectral repair, and nothing sounds as good as just EQing out the worst bits. Any ideas?
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

wow, bitch fest.
How about, buy or don't.
Remember when avid did this with PT9 to 10. It's business.

From a home regular user (not advanced) the addition of the dx denoiser in the regular version is a much appreciated addition. Insight is also great and who knows, maybe they've worked on the sample buffer and made it more efficient.

It's a great product and it's good news to see them working hard to keep it relevant.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Maniac
I've been using RX since V1 and learned a lot by reading this: http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/...udioRepair.pdf
The focus is on RX3 but it has a lot of good audio info in general.

I had something similar to that issue last week and was able to improve it a lot with EQ and then Spectral Repair in the attenuation mode. The above link taught me how to read the spectrogram much better and I feel like it improved the results I could get with Spectral repair.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

The spectrogram is awesome. Once you know how to read it the amount of info it contains is so useful. I always use the multi-color mode and then play with the contrast and FFT window size to zero in on a problem.

Insight also has a real-time spectrogram, which I find is very useful while I'm mixing. It helps to identify frequency domain issues very quickly so you don't have to hunt, you can go right to the problem frequencies and deal with them. Even though I'm pretty good at identifying frequencies by ear, a spectrogram really just cuts to the chase, especially when you have to deal with both the fundamental and harmonics.
Old 15th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
I've got an off camera door slam that times perfectly with a plosive B the actor is saying. I've tried deconstruct, spectral repair, and nothing sounds as good as just EQing out the worst bits. Any ideas?
I'd try to look for another "B" and maybe a little de-reverb to clean up any tail left by the door slam.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Not gonna sit on this upgrade train. Does this mean we now only get a year of support on our products from these guys?
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
wow, bitch fest.
How about, buy or don't.
Remember when avid did this with PT9 to 10. It's business.
if nobody ever told companies what they liked or didnt like then companies wouldnt be able to provide what the customers want.

The pt9 to 10 thing worked out so well for avid and Im sure they are looking forward to following in that wild success.
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

Just upgraded from v2... Not a lot of difference. De noiser is a bit nicer...
Adaptive mode seems buggy? What I audition is very different to what is rendered?
I preffered GUI declipper in v2
Dia denoiser seems ok .... But it wacks a 10% hit on my CPU.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone has any experience with the leveler in advanced? There don't seem to be that many controls on it, could you instruct it to not raise the gain on lower amplitude stuff like breaths? I'm thinking audiobook/podcast editing and such.
Cheers
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone notice a change I learn functions when moving from pt 10 to pt 11? Not I have to hit the audition bottom and then hit learn. In pt 10 I could just hit learn and then render. Anyone else?
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone notice a change I learn functions when moving from pt 10 to pt 11? Not I have to hit the audition bottom and then hit learn. In pt 10 I could just hit learn and then render. Anyone else?

+1 its been an odd trick to have switched the access to some functions.
Old 20th October 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
I was told by iZotope that that was how it worked in PT11. I'm not a fan of having to it that way and is pretty much the reason I work in 10 still. For what I do 11 doesn't add much otherwise.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

sucky
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

I've been searching for an RX specific user forum, without any luck.
I'd love to figure out how to use the RX4 advanced leveler in my particular situation;

I am dealing with a L & R stereo track ( OMF from Avid MC ) and it is a stand up recording of a person.
Length is about 45 minutes, and it comes in many clips from the editor.
That is all fine, I deal with similar audio daily, but I was going to speed up my process by going over to RX4 via the connect thingy.

What I did; highlight ( select) all audio ( both tracks ) and set up a repair send to RX. Now that process took quite a long time...5 or so minutes and it did open in RX.
Except...only 1 single mono clip. The last one.
What is going on ?? I am so clueless and frustrated.

I do regularly use RX4 as a plugin ( NR, Declip, Deverb ), works superb. Just wanted to do a full offline job this first time to see if I could save some time.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
I'm on W7 64 bit /Nuendo 6.5.2 .
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
I've been searching for an RX specific user forum, without any luck.
I'd love to figure out how to use the RX4 advanced leveler in my particular situation;

I am dealing with a L & R stereo track ( OMF from Avid MC ) and it is a stand up recording of a person.
Length is about 45 minutes, and it comes in many clips from the editor.
That is all fine, I deal with similar audio daily, but I was going to speed up my process by going over to RX4 via the connect thingy.

What I did; highlight ( select) all audio ( both tracks ) and set up a repair send to RX. Now that process took quite a long time...5 or so minutes and it did open in RX.
Except...only 1 single mono clip. The last one.
What is going on ?? I am so clueless and frustrated.

I do regularly use RX4 as a plugin ( NR, Declip, Deverb ), works superb. Just wanted to do a full offline job this first time to see if I could save some time.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
I'm on W7 64 bit /Nuendo 6.5.2 .
What you posted is very bizarre since it took a long time to process but only gave you the last clip. The short version is this:

Connect in Nuendo 6.x isn't working all that intuitively or conveniently. Contrary to in PT you can't (as far as I know) import multiple clips, it'll only grab the last one (which implies import time should have been shorter).

I think the quick solution for you is to a) convert to stereo and b) consolidate ('bounce' in Nuendo language) into one long file, then connect.

For a more comprehensive read on what I found you can read this post.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Have you tried Roger Nichols Digital Frequal-izer?
That company's been defunct for years, no?

That plugin worked v well for me. Not feeling nearly as comfortable with Ozone's match EQ… no matter how hard I try to love it.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Thanx mattiasnyc,

Well, I was expecting a similar answer.
Just find it a bit annoying to advertize a great product to be a time saver and supported in Nuendo.

Of course there are other ways to deal with the job, I've been doing the same weekly show for ages without RX4.

I don't want to paint myself in the corner by consolidating the edits, this is a post mix, that needs to be flexible.

Back to my old ways I guess then..manually set clip gains, run NR, EQ and limit.

Many thanx again for clearing this up.
Hoping iZotope working on a solution.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
Back to my old ways I guess then..manually set clip gains, run NR, EQ and limit.

Many thanx again for clearing this up.
Hoping iZotope working on a solution.
You're welcome.

I think it's still potentially useful, it's just that you'll have to adjust your workflow. So if you need flexibility because you perhaps allow yourself say a 5-10% error rate on your passes before leveling then of course it's a problem if you edit first, then 'freeze' that by 'bouncing' and then leveling. So the solution in such a case is make the first pass(es) 100%, and then you don't really "need" that flexibility.

I'm not so sure iZotope can fix this. If you think about it the geniuses at Steinberg decided that once we process a clip offline the plugin window closes. This is also true if you're running RX DeClick as an offline plugin for example. You open the plugin 'from the event', adjust settings, hit process and it'll do that - and then close the window. Since connect runs as an offline plugin I bet that's the problem. It won't properly allow for all clips to be transferred because it "closes repeatedly" (or equivalent since we can't see it) during that transfer process and only the last clip is transferred.

In PT when I dialog edit I keep the DeClick open at all times during my first pass and get rid of as many clicks as possible. It's super fast because I never have to re-open the plugin each time I want to use it. In Nuendo I have to, which is just daft. You'd think that by today these guys would have figured out a way to let offline plugin windows remain open.

I've requested this be tweaked but as you know no answer is the way they do things at Steinberg. So who knows if this will ever work.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

"I think it's still potentially useful, it's just that you'll have to adjust your workflow. So if you need flexibility because you perhaps allow yourself say a 5-10% error rate on your passes before leveling then of course it's a problem if you edit first, then 'freeze' that by 'bouncing' and then leveling. So the solution in such a case is make the first pass(es) 100%, and then you don't really "need" that flexibility."

Yes..wish in real practice that would be an option. Producers do change picture cuts on me , so all the extra steps to consolidate. etc...would have to be redone.
Arrgghhhh

I do manage for now..
However, I had a truly annoying bug (?) just a few hours ago;

I had a small mono ( 7-8 sec ) clip, and processed via RX4 decrackle , rendering the result in a new folder, then bringing it back to the origin in the timeline.
The top is missing/chopped !
By adding extra length at the selection to be rendered, I could gain back the missing portion.
Hoping I can explain this fairly clearly.

Anyone knows what gives ?
This is RX4 advanced/64 bit/ Nuendo 6.5.2/W7
And the plugin was in the regular insert slot, not sent via connect.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanx
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Are you saying that you had a track with an instance of RX DeCrackle instantiated in an insert, and then did an "export audio mixdown" into a new folder after which you imported that file onto the timeline? And you ended up with a missing top? And the solution was adding space at the top?

Only thing I can think of is if delay compensation is screwed up or turned off (?). It sounds as if it takes time for the plugin to process the audio but Nuendo doesn't compensate for it. Was this realtime or offline export?

I'd investigate those issues; realtime/offline and delay compensation. I'd also test RX3 if you have it. Perhaps it works properly. Do other RX plugs exhibit the same behavior?

I'll try to find time to double check this as well.
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Are you saying that you had a track with an instance of RX DeCrackle instantiated in an insert, and then did an "export audio mixdown" into a new folder after which you imported that file onto the timeline? And you ended up with a missing top? And the solution was adding space at the top?
Exactly, and thank you for the response.
Next morning the same process didn't have any issues ! [ ??? ]
Puzzles me, and I need to pay careful attention in the future.
BTW, there is an RX4 update available. I'll get it installed, as soon this job is done.

best,
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

my friend showed me his RX4 workflow on his system - he owns RX4 advanced.

after transferring audio to RX4 application and selecting frequency range pressing PLAY auditions only selected frequency range. so i can hear only the selected frequencies.

i have the "regular" RX4, and i my application i ALWAYS hear the whole audio. it's impossible to hear only the selected frequncies.

is there a switch, an option to select to allow me audition only the selected frequencies? or it works this way only in ADVANCED?

couldn't find response in manual
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Maniac

There are 2 different play buttons right next to each other. The one with the square around it only plays your selection.
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

thanks. it was THAT easy!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search