The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi-end digital mixer vs PT ITB Equalizer Plugins
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

I'm on the same page on this with Mark H.
I only do TV post and music, and have narrowed down my choices amongst the staggering amount of plugins that are available to us these days.

ITB TV; Equilibrium or Melda Mautodynamic EQ for fine tweaks and UAD2 Pultec or Maag EQ4 for wider shaping.
Music mix is hybrid ; assortment of above and UAD, Waves or hardware Retro Pultec, API and board EQ's.

I'm old and new options have created a major workflow readjustment for me over the old OTB days, so needed to nail down choices to work efficiently.
Just an opinion, of course..
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I'm more concerned with functionality than ergonomics.
What I can do with a plug in, wins over how I can control it.
Agreed and EQ3 just doesn't cut it for me.

Alistair
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

I use EQuilibrium Audiosuite to EQ Sound FX when I cut and predub and EQ3 when I final mix, not because I love it, but because it is available at every facility. No big deal, because I rarely have to use EQ during the final mix and when I do it's usually either for rolling off the highs or lows slightly or else doing a futz.

EQuilibrium is just a much more comprehensive tool and I love that I can adjust the gain of stereo channels separately because a lot of FX are not recorded with the balance I want. I also have a number of notch filters in my default setup so I can get rid of hums and tones without having to use another plugin.
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Agreed and EQ3 just doesn't cut it for me.

Alistair
Agreed. It's woefully inadequate when dealing with poor dialog.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. It's woefully inadequate when dealing with poor dialog.
I don't know mark, I can't mouse around all day long with those other eqs. If the dx I hit is really bad, I will bust out an audio suite eq but if I am just eqing normal dialogue or knocking out a tone, eq3 has the fastest short cuts and I don't have to leave the console. how do you band sole other eqs on the icons? Mouse right?
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
I don't know mark, I can't mouse around all day long with those other eqs. If the dx I hit is really bad, I will bust out an audio suite eq but if I am just eqing normal dialogue or knocking out a tone, eq3 has the fastest short cuts and I don't have to leave the console. how do you band sole other eqs on the icons? Mouse right?
Yep, I use the mouse for pretty much all my eq changes. The analyzer that's built into the DMG eq's for me is miles more important than the console integration.
And I do a lot of eqing on my dialog.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, I use the mouse for pretty much all my eq changes. The analyzer that's built into the DMG eq's for me is miles more important than the console integration.
And I do a lot of eqing on my dialog.
That is a deal breaker for me. I eq all day long. Using a mouse would take too long for me.
Old 2nd August 2015
Gear Addict
Pro q 2 maps great on a d control and is so superior to eq3 (which I used to use and thought was great) it's not even funny. And you get fully parametric bands unlike eq3. And you can notch your hums and do generally shaping on the same eq. It's night and day.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Pro q 2 maps great on a d control and is so superior to eq3 (which I used to use and thought was great) it's not even funny. And you get fully parametric bands unlike eq3. And you can notch your hums and do generally shaping on the same eq. It's night and day.
Can you band solo from the console? I have all the DMG eqs they just take way too long to use for me. It's a work flow thing.
Old 2nd August 2015
Gear Addict
Couldn't say as I would only use it rarely. The spectrum
Analyser means for me I don't need to solo bands as I can see exactly what's happening visually.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Analyser means for me I don't need to solo bands as I can see exactly what's happening visually.
Same here. I used to use it in the beginning, until I realized how much faster it was using the analyzer.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh? Might be time to switch it up. I really like fab filter stuff.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can solo sweep a band in FabFilter, can't do that in Equilibrium.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I'm pretty sure you can.
But because of the Analyser I haven't used that function for so long l so I could be wrong.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
If I understand what you mean correctly, then yes you can do that with Equilibrium too.

Alistair
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been playing around with Fabfilter Pro Q2. Really amazing. Unfortunately for you, my fav thing about it so far is using the mouse to "select" a peak or valley to start tweaking.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

FYI, EQuilibrium maps fine to the control section of both the D-Control and the D-Command.

The first 7 bands will be the ones that are mapped, so you want to make the first band a high pass filter and the 7th band a low pass filter.

The way I configure mine is to set up the first 7 bands similarly to the Avid EQ3 7 band EQ factory default and then I add 9 additional bands of Notch Filters in bandstrip numbers 8 through 16. After they are added I place the Notch Filters at octave intervals starting at 60Hz but with each band bypassed until I need it. That gives me quick access on the console to normal EQ functions as well as pre-positioned notches that I can quickly un-bypass and fine tune with the mouse.

To set up this kind of configuration, I start with no bands and set the frequency sorting order in the GUI Bandstrips preferences to "Click". Then I add the bands in order of low to high frequency by clicking at the approximate frequency I want them to be located, adjusting each bandstrip to my desired default settings. Any additional bands beyond the first 7 can only be manipulated by mouse.

Be sure to set up and save the GUI default prefs first and then save the plugin default preset because plugin presets include whatever GUI settings are currently being used.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can.
But because of the Analyser I haven't used that function for so long l so I could be wrong.
Ah. I stand corrected. Will have to look at it again.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

If you enabled autolisten in setup, a right click will solo any band
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear
But can you do a band solo from a console/ICON though?

I've tried both and the fabfilter pro Q2 is just ever so slightly easier to use on a Fairlight.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
But can you do a band solo from a console/ICON though?

I've tried both and the fabfilter pro Q2 is just ever so slightly easier to use on a Fairlight.
How is the CPU load using the VST on Fairlight?

I like the DMG on PT but I haven't tried the Pro Q2.
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
How is the CPU load using the VST on Fairlight?

I like the DMG on PT but I haven't tried the Pro Q2.
For both the FF and DMG, when on their most CPU efficient settings it's quite low. CPU spike when loading the GUI for the first time but it's fine.

Mind you I don't go nuts on my plugins either, I mostly use the Fairlight built in dynamics & EQ.
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
For both the FF and DMG, when on their most CPU efficient settings it's quite low. CPU spike when loading the GUI for the first time but it's fine.

Mind you I don't go nuts on my plugins either, I mostly use the Fairlight built in dynamics & EQ.
I use the built-ins too unless I have a reason not to. But I get jealous of the frequency display and amount of bands with these plugins. Might try them out on just the dialogue tracks to see how it copes.
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I use the built-ins too unless I have a reason not to. But I get jealous of the frequency display and amount of bands with these plugins. Might try them out on just the dialogue tracks to see how it copes.
For those using Nuendo, the N7 stock Eq has a real-time frequency analyser/display. You can show it in the mixer of course, but also in the inspector on the left side of the timeline. So if you have the track selection that follows the clip selection, you can very easily have a constant display of whatever eq + freq analysis.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search