The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I saw Cosmos on TV and the narrator's voice quality was all over the place. Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The "next " generation is all about multitasking. I see students at the local college walking down the street with one earbud in their ear, a cell phone held to their other ear and talking with friends as they walk down the sidewalk. It has been estimated that over 90% of the student here don't have TVs or access to one and do all their watching on line. They say it is because they do not want to watch all the commercials on regular TV and I can sympathize with them.

Look at a typical newscast today. There are all kinds of flashy graphics, a scroll at the bottom of the picture and one across the top and school closing below the crawl on the bottom of the screen. There is also the logo for the network in the bottom right corner and maybe another insert with the local station's logo and time. Just reading all of that is hard for me to do but I guess it is the new thing in TV. I also see the same commercial over and over and over again maybe running three times in a 3 minute commercial break. Advertiser are really trying to hammer their messages home to their intended audiences.

Everything has become more and more flashy. Go to a Cleveland Indian's game or a Cavalier's game and you are bombarded with all kinds of advertising messages on the flashing signs that surround the ball park or arena. Also there is constant audio going on to "rev up" the fans. Maybe people have become so overwhelmed with advertising messages they just turn them all off. I know I usually shut down my senses when I am watching TV and a commercial comes on. I am not sure of the exact number but I have been told that a one hour TV show is actually only 39 to 42 minutes long - the rest is all commercials.

Strange world we live in today with everyone competing for our time and our senses.

When I go camping in Canada it takes me about two days to relax and listen to nature and open up my sense to the world around me. Sometmes it is hard to come back to reality.

Wow Bethe! What you brought up truly deserves its own thread.

And it has affected production values too. Music needs to be constantly louder to hold attention spans(loudness wars) and different TV networks even try to compete on who's picture is brighter, sharper, more colorful(what I call "attention wars").

Go into any sporting venue(national level and even college) and you are bombarded with constant content on jumbotrons, flashy LED ribbons on the cantilevered upper decks, and SOUND!!!

I went on YouTube and pulled up some NBA championship video from the 1970s and 80s, and it was tranquil by comparison. NASCAR: The announcers were just secondary back then. You actually heard more engines and crowd noise back then. Nowadays every second of the race is punctuated by prattle, comparing this year's Bristol race to last years(who cares??), and zonky sound effects when graphics fly in or out. It's so distracting! Do they think viewers are that dumb?

From when I had cable and now just OTA(over-the-air), I still maintain that PBS and its affiliates, and C-Span, have the most accurate picture and the easiest on the ears sound. PBS and C-Span are presently where the big 3 networks were 30-40 years ago in terms of volume level and picture standard(adherance to NTSC/ATSC standards), and tame but professional on-screen graphics.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Most people have no idea what kind of source material we are handed in post....
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I only do radio, but I do know! I am in the midst of restoring an interview done in the field by amateurs, birds, squeaky doors, boomy resonant room, cheap mics, etc. Being from 2009, no cell phoners tho! Without RX3 it would sound even worse.

So, do you use RX3 on the tracks you get? I can hardly imagine life without it...
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post

So, do you use RX3 on the tracks you get? I can hardly imagine life without it...
No. Mostly cedar, notching and eq.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
No. Mostly cedar, notching and eq.
Well, with Cedar you can be forgiven ;-)
For a small time freelancer, RX3 is a godsend!
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Mark, this has been a great opportunity for you to give everybody a reality check about the kind of stuff that dialog mixers have to deal with. It's really a tough chair to sit in. Been there, done that. I specifically chose to go into SFX mixing and editing after I experienced the crap you get handed as dialog mixer. You guys deserve every penny of the pay you receive. It's often a frustrating job, but someone has to do it and it is the one absolutely essential element of every mix.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Mark, this has been a great opportunity for you to give everybody a reality check about the kind of stuff that dialog mixers have to deal with. It's really a tough chair to sit in. Been there, done that. I specifically chose to go into SFX mixing and editing after I experienced the crap you get handed as dialog mixer. You guys deserve every penny of the pay you receive. It's often a frustrating job, but someone has to do it and it is the one absolutely essential element of every mix.
As frustrating as it can be, I love mixing dialog and the challenges it presents.
I'm weird like that.
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

Just out of curiosity, how much compression do you use on the VO? I feel like even just a few dB off the top at a 4.0 ratio would help even out the audio playback on streaming services.
Im sure that the broadcast dynamic compression takes care of any issue that I might hear, but on Hulu, the dynamic nature of his performance is challenging on my ear... otherwise, sounds great!
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbilodeau View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much compression do you use on the VO? I feel like even just a few dB off the top at a 4.0 ratio would help even out the audio playback on streaming services.
Im sure that the broadcast dynamic compression takes care of any issue that I might hear, but on Hulu, the dynamic nature of his performance is challenging on my ear... otherwise, sounds great!
It tickles the UAD Fairchild 660 compressor, before hitting the UAD precision limiter.
And this after fader rides and drastic clipgaining of words and syllables.
Anymore compression, and you'll start to hear it.
Old 20th March 2014
Quote:
It tickles the UAD Fairchild 660 compressor, before hitting the UAD precision limiter.
And this after fader rides and drastic clipgaining of words and syllables.
Anymore compression, and you'll start to hear it.
Good thing you are on PT 10 over there and have clip gain! Can you imagine doing it without it now?!

Have you tried Unveil and Unfilter? I think they do some magic on dialog when nothing else will. Unfilter can fix a buried lav better than Eq.

Congrats on the show, it is a resume booster for sure. Oh I mean IMDB, who has resumes in post
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Most people have no idea what kind of source material we are handed in post....
No sh!t. This weeks exciting job was dealing with a guest's lav buried under a huge necklace consisting of about 50 pieces of whatever makes the brightest most annoying sound in the world.

Luckily the hostess had hers buried behind 2 million layers of clothes so with the lack of any high frequencies from her it sort of canceled itself out... or something... good times.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No sh!t. This weeks exciting job was dealing with a guest's lav buried under a huge necklace consisting of about 50 pieces of whatever makes the brightest most annoying sound in the world.

Luckily the hostess had hers buried behind 2 million layers of clothes so with the lack of any high frequencies from her it sort of canceled itself out... or something... good times.
The most recent favorite for me was an interview recorded in a hospital waiting room. Mother was cradling a crying baby, and of course the baby's mouth was closer to the lav than the mother's (and camera mic was saturated by reverb and other voices talking in the room). The mother then lifted her baby up onto the shoulder to comfort it, covering the lav completely with the baby's body, whose heartbeats are now the most prominent sound...

Of course they wanted to keep it all in...make it sound good they said..
Old 20th March 2014
I did a restoration of a video taped interview done between two people standing in front of a roof top air handler. The air handler was putting out about 90 + dBSPL and the interviewer was talking in a normal voice. This was before RX3. I asked the videographer why he chose that exact spot for the interview and he said "it looked cool" I was able to do a pretty good job but today I could get it almost perfect with RX-3.

We get calls all the time to clean up audio for video and I can only say thanks for the good folks at Izotope. I can do stuff now that I could only dream about 15 years ago. As an aside - why don't videographers listen to what they are doing? If it sounds bad in their headphones it is going to sound the same when you get it back to the editing cubical. They want to stand at the end of a jet runway and have a long interview with someone while +120 dBSPL jets are landing and taking off and then wonder why they cannot hear the interview.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They want to stand at the end of a jet runway and have a long interview with someone while +120 dBSPL jets are landing and taking off and then wonder why they cannot hear the interview.
Now that's what I call a "S.I.S.O." situation! lol
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They want to stand at the end of a jet runway and have a long interview with someone while +120 dBSPL jets are landing and taking off and then wonder why they cannot hear the interview.
Years ago, I did run and gun sound for a Discovery show on private Jets. I had to record that very interview. Fortunately I was not mixing that show.
Old 20th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l View Post
The mother then lifted her baby up onto the shoulder to comfort it, covering the lav completely with the baby's body, whose heartbeats are now the most prominent sound...

The 'mother' of all reality tv-hugs-while-talking/sobbing/crying/trying-to-communicate.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l View Post
The most recent favorite for me was an interview recorded in a hospital waiting room. Mother was cradling a crying baby, and of course the baby's mouth was closer to the lav than the mother's (and camera mic was saturated by reverb and other voices talking in the room). The mother then lifted her baby up onto the shoulder to comfort it, covering the lav completely with the baby's body, whose heartbeats are now the most prominent sound...

oy.....
Old 21st March 2014
Then there are those Shark shows I do... they want to interview the folks WHILE they're vacuuming!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Then there are those Shark shows I do... they want to interview the folks WHILE they're vacuuming!
You do a show about lawyers?
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
HA! Yeah, a many lawyers suck too.
Old 22nd March 2014
Quote:
Actually the funny part is when the lawyers see the script for the first time. Of course, that's after the VO has been recorded. Producer: "He can't say that." "Make him say..(fill in hacked VO lines) Can you do that? We don't want to call the VO talent back"
Fun times. Nice job on the show BTW, Hench... (I know your pain.)
Old 22nd March 2014
Quote:
Do you get paid double when you do a voice over for a lawyer since they have a tendency to talk out of both sides of their mouths??? <GRIN>

Worst VO client I ever had was a guy who was doing a voice over for his own commercial. He came in unprepared and had never even looked at the script before he showed up, he had problems pronouncing the name of his firm, he was somewhat inebriated, his voice was a combination of a death rattle and a wind machine, he did about 20 takes for a 30 second commercial and I pieced the final from about 10 different takes. What a mess.

He also kept looking down at his script and away from the microphone and would weave all over the place when he was reading. He also rocked back and forth in his chair. I was going to get some cable ties and tie him to the chair but I didn't want to spend the money for all the used cable ties.

Oh well it sounded OK on the air.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you get paid double when you do a voice over for a lawyer since they have a tendency to talk out of both sides of their mouths??? <GRIN>

Worst VO client I ever had was a guy who was doing a voice over for his own commercial. He came in unprepared and had never even looked at the script before he showed up, he had problems pronouncing the name of his firm, he was somewhat inebriated, his voice was a combination of a death rattle and a wind machine, he did about 20 takes for a 30 second commercial and I pieced the final from about 10 different takes. What a mess.

He also kept looking down at his script and away from the microphone and would weave all over the place when he was reading. He also rocked back and forth in his chair. I was going to get some cable ties and tie him to the chair but I didn't want to spend the money for all the used cable ties.

Oh well it sounded OK on the air.

"If you've been in a car accident, been burned, or fallen head-first into a toiletbowl, then you need our services!" lmao!!
Old 25th March 2014
I just saw week 3 of Cosmos and was very impressed with the vocals throughout.

Good overall sound and the ambiance was pretty much the same throughout.

One thing I did notice was that the music to voice ratio throughout was very good and the voice sat very nicely with the music. Very skillfully done.

Congrats on a job well done...
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Just wrapping up episode 1 now. Man, I don't envy you. But good job nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

Lol, I just got done mixing a musical (live, not post) in which several of the female characters were wearing big jangly necklaces that liked to bounce around a lot during the song and dance numbers. Good times indeed.

-Dan.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Man, I'll bet Episode 2 around the campfire was brutal. Good job working with what you had, Hench!
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
Man, I'll bet Episode 2 around the campfire was brutal. Good job working with what you had, Hench!
The most frustrating, was that it was the opening of the episode as well.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's all done by our sound designer rick steel.
My mix partner Joel has a tough job to get through it all.
That would be Rick Steele??
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Years ago, I did run and gun sound for a Discovery show on private Jets. I had to record that very interview. Fortunately I was not mixing that show.
Almost as bad a mixing the sound from a Las Vegas slot machine convention.
Thanks Peter Kaikko!!
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Almost as bad a mixing the sound from a Las Vegas slot machine convention.
Thanks Peter Kaikko!!
Peter Kaikko,"We want to make your show in the worst way!"
Hahahahaha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search