The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need program to add drm (digital rights management) to mp3 files
Old 4th March 2014
Gear interested

need program to add drm (digital rights management) to mp3 files

Hi, I want to stream mp3 files using JW Player on a website, but programs like Internet Download Manager allow people to download the files. I want to try to add drm protection to the files to see if this will keep IDM from being able to download them. Does anyone know of programs that will let me add drm protection? Internet searches don't seem to come up with much.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Hi, I want to stream mp3 files using JW Player on a website, but programs like Internet Download Manager allow people to download the files. I want to try to add drm protection to the files to see if this will keep IDM from being able to download them. Does anyone know of programs that will let me add drm protection? Internet searches don't seem to come up with much.
You can't add DRM to MP3 files - anyway, DRM has nothing to do with downloading files or not - DRM is actually a licence required to playback the file. What you're after is a protected streaming service where the original file can't be accessed - only streamed.

Look in to Amazon CloudFront - if your file can be streamed through RTMP, that should sort you.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

And SoundCloud can be configured for streaming only with downloads disabled.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear interested

According to this article (HowStuffWorks "How DRM Works"), drm is something added to a cd to confuse ripping programs, so it should be something that you can add to a mp3. But thanks for your replies.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
According to this article (HowStuffWorks "How DRM Works"), drm is something added to a cd to confuse ripping programs, so it should be something that you can add to a mp3. But thanks for your replies.
Long answer:
There are different types of DRM. Early iTunes files had DRM embedded that meant the machine had to be authorised to playback files bought from a certain iTunes account. That's still the case with the films and videos from iTunes. This won't prevent someone from downloading the file - just they won't be able to play it without knowing the account details of the account used to make the purchase. This could also easily be removed from iTunes AAC files. This is entirely different to DRM on a CD which is simply there to prevent it being ripped, which is more akin to CSS (and latter methods) protection on DVDs.

The MP3 standard has no (inherent) support for DRM so I'm not sure why you say "it should be something you can add to a mp3" just because some CDs have this added to them. Considering you want to protect an MP3 file, not a CD, this point seems irrelevant. Google Play seem to add some kind of DRM to songs, using ID3 tags, but these are incredibly easy to strip - so pointless.

Incidentally, CDs which have any "anti-rip" applied will stop them being Red Book audio CDs as it's not part of the official CD standard and older CD players can struggle to play them.

Short answer: Stick to SoundCloud.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Maniac

There might be a new plugin out there that can help - even has a time limited offer, that ends today. But I guess porting to AAX will take 365 days though..
Skidmark | Boz Digital Labs
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
And SoundCloud can be configured for streaming only with downloads disabled.
Unfortunately people have found a way to download Soundcloud files to mp3 (even when the download function on Soundcloud is disabled) not sure which program they use though.
Old 4th April 2014
Matt R. Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjek View Post
Unfortunately people have found a way to download Soundcloud files to mp3 (even when the download function on Soundcloud is disabled) not sure which program they use though.
People will always be able to route the output of their playback system to an input on a record at system. Analogue pirates will always exist.

Work with trustworthy people, solidify payment arrangements and discuss delivery of audio before starting work. Everyone is happy

Edit: sorry for slight hijack but I thought it was relevant
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search