The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maverick compatible with Logic 8?
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear interested

Unhappy Maverick compatible with Logic 8?

I have searched high and low and no forum's seem to answer my question.

Like a really not smart person, I installed the free download of OS X Maverick when it first came out without reading reviews. Well, once the download was done, I went onto Logic 8 to record and every time I hit play or record, the playhead tracker moved across the screen covering my workspace in black. Once I hit stop or pause I could see all but this caused a very annoying and potentially serious problem!

So I went back in time machine to my original Mountain Lion and have stayed there ever since.

However, now I have software that I can't use because they are only formatted for Maverick.

Simple question: Will Logic 8 run off of Maverick or will I need to upgrade to Logic X?
Old 4th January 2014
Gear nut
do yourself a favour and upgrade to Logic X. Mavericks compatibility aside, it really runs far smoother than any of its predecessors.
Old 4th January 2014
Gear interested

I'm sure it does georgi but with limited means and the fact that I'm super comfortable with the DAW that I have I want to explore EVERY possible option.
Old 4th January 2014
Gear nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannaG View Post
I'm sure it does georgi but with limited means and the fact that I'm super comfortable with the DAW that I have I want to explore EVERY possible option.
I understand. I had terrible problems with Logic 9 in Mac OSX 10.8, so I wouldn't bet on Logic 8 playing nice with 10.9, especially since the latter has the habit of suspending unsuspecting apps in the middle of work, be it realtime-class or not.. Also not surprised about graphics issues. Too much Carbon in Logic 8.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear interested

That was what I was afraid of :( Just wanted to see if anyone other than me had tried so thanks for the confirm.... At least Logic X is only 200 as opposed to the 5or600 it used to be!!
Old 6th January 2014
I've played around with my old Logic 8 install on 10.9, and while it seems to function fairly well, I've encountered a weird GUI issue where the timeline turns black as the playhead moves.

Also note that the Logic 8 installers do not work under 10.9 (or 10.7+, IIRC).
Old 7th January 2014
Gear interested

Insomaniac,

If I were to upgrade to Logic X, would I be able to go back to old projects that were formatted in 8 and either open as 8 or open with 10?
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

I imported over 70 projects into Logic X over the past two days that were from versions Logic 7 through 9. No issues.

Logic X will open older projects (v7.4 and up), but once imported, you cannot open the new Logic X files in older versions.
I should mention that I am running Mountain Lion. Cannot speak to how that works in Mavericks.

Cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 7th January 2014 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: add
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search