The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best .mov/mp4 converter DAW Software
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Best .mov/mp4 converter

Hiya

What are you guys using as a mp4 (or any other format for that matter) to quicktime mov converter?

what are good and (preferably free) options that you have used and produces a succesful conversion with the right codec to play well with Pro Tools?
Old 11th December 2013
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Maniac

What is the best lo res codec I should use for Pro tools?

I also see i can export mov from mp4 in quicktime... which export should i use? 480? 720? mac & PC?
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Head

If I may suggest, I think that dv (for sd) or apple prores (for hd) would be better adapted to work with protools than mp4 ... They are intra-frame codecs, better suited to frame accurate work.
You might use ffmbc for that.
If your source is encoded in h264, the result won't be extraordinary, but it will ease the load on protools.

Last edited by audionuma; 11th December 2013 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: confusion between aic and apple prores
Old 11th December 2013
Gear maniac

This is assuming you have a Mac. I went round and round searching for converters spending 20 bucks here, 30 bucks there and not really finding anything that was stable and consistent (including Quicktime Pro). Finally decided on Apple Compressor ($50) and have been very happy. Have spent much more that $50 trying different ones, plus Compressor can be loaded on 5 computers. That pays for itself right there with many converters only allowing 1 or 2 machines.

MP4's stripped of H264 have worked well for me in Pro Tools…along with Pro Res and DNxHd.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
What is the best lo res codec I should use for Pro tools?

I also see i can export mov from mp4 in quicktime... which export should i use? 480? 720? mac & PC?
I've had luck with Photo Jpeg, you can go up to 1080 or 720 and with a modern Mac you shouldn't have too many problems; you can still get the old Apple Motion JPEG A by opening a command line and running the following:

Code:
qtdefaults write LegacyVideoCodecs AppleMotionJPEGA enabled
(I think in 10.4-5 there's a checkbox in the Quicktime control panel that does the same thing.)

The universal Pro Tools video caveat applies: Pro Tools uses Quicktime movies to spot audio. Avid is quite clear that Pro Tools, even with a genlocked card, is incapable of playing back picture in dead sync with audio over any span of time.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Handbrake
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

I just use Quicktime Pro. Not free, I think it costs $29 but it works really well for me. Probably Mac only, not sure.
Old 12th December 2013
I use Quicktime Pro in Windows just fine for odd jobs. It's real handy for adding audio tracks for client approvals.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi guys I downloaded stream clip and it's perfect for my current needs.
The apple motion JPEG A runs smooth in pro tools so im happy

I'll probably invest in QuickTime Pro as well in the future

You guys rock thanks for your feedback
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

While we're on this topic, is there a better piece of software out there for marrying a WAV file and a MOV file together to make an MP4? I've been using QT Pro for this since the stone age. Would love to use something with a smoother interface.
Old 12th December 2013
I know Sony Sound Forge can do some of this...not sure on the MP4 export, I'd have to check. But it's a good bit more money the QTPro.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear nut
quicktime pro

p.s. @NReichman, how is : open audio > select all > copy > open video > add to movie - not smooth?

Last edited by gmarinov; 12th December 2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: q
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

I Agree with NReichman. the process of adding tracks to a quicktime is simple but it could be so much simpler.
I do this very often, for discrete 5.1 it is a PITA.
I would buy something with the ability to drag and drop to quicktime tracks.

BTW it can be done with ffmbc/ffmpeg . But the command line is not exactly smooth.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

MPEG Streamclip is about the same as QUicktime Pro, since it uses Quicktime to do everything, both on Windows and OSX.

My preferred codec is PhotoJPEG, 50-75% quality. Fast as hell and not too huge. I'll keep the resolution high if I do dialogue edits. Other than that you're often fine with lower resolutions, such as 960x540, 640x360 or the likes.

Prores also comes to mind, as does Avid DxNHD, which is a Quicktime codec too, and thus accessible from MPEG Steamclip. I've have not yet used them, but plenty of others here have. Those are for specific resolutions only, 720p and up.

Handbrake is great as an inbetweener transcoder for formats Quicktime or MPEG Streamclip can't read. Just go at least 20 MBit for 1080p and then throw the resulting MP4 in to MPEG Streamclip for Photojpeg for example. I've had to do this a few times.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

now I always choose free online video converter, such as online-convert, media.io, keepvid.cc, both of them is free. If you need a professional video converter, you could choose wondershare video converter or freemake video converter, you could find them at Google.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

free video converter

I use VideoSolo Free Video Converter. It can convert MP4 to MOV or MOV to MP4 with ease and no damage to the video quality.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I specify Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy from the editor. Interframe codecs don't play well in Nuendo at all. So it's intraframe only for me.

If I'm supplied interframe, I use Adobe Media Encoder.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I use MPEG Streamclip and convert to DNxHD 36 for use in Pro Tools.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
I use MPEG Streamclip and convert to DNxHD 36 for use in Pro Tools.
I used to too, but always found it to be a slow process. Switching over to an ffmpeg based GUI worked wonders for speed.
I assume streamclip doesn't use all the cpu cores or so... worth a try!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

...the latest version of Apple Compressor can at least encode a DNxHD 36.

Cheers
Maik
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When everything else fails, I turn to Pavtube.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old thread, so I'm updating my previous response.

Lately I've been using iFFmpeg for video conversion. It uses multiple cores for very fast rendering. It's much faster than Quicktime Pro or MpegStreamclip. I think the code that actually does the conversions is freeware, but you pair it with a user interface app that you have to pay for. It's pretty cheap, though, last time I checked.

iFFmpeg
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Xmedia Recode (PC)

My daily "whatever to ProRes" converter, but it can do a lot more than that.

It's free.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanmixr View Post
Xmedia Recode (PC)
Yup. The very best.

Fredo
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

some time ago I found the perfect solution for me, I'm on osx. I have installed the raw ffmpeg software, wrote some scripts in Automator as "Finder services". Then it's a matter of right-clicking a file, select the appropiate Service for the desired conversion and ... done! No need to open additional software, works like a charm.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
some time ago I found the perfect solution for me, I'm on osx. I have installed the raw ffmpeg software, wrote some scripts in Automator as "Finder services". Then it's a matter of right-clicking a file, select the appropiate Service for the desired conversion and ... done! No need to open additional software, works like a charm.
Wow it seems really great and useful.
I don't want to abuse but do you mind to share your Automator script ? I definitly don't know how to script and never use Automator as "Finder services". (In fact I don't know how to use Automator, and never using it…)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Ok, here it goes..
1. Open Automator, it will show some templates, you must choose the "Service" one.
2. On the newly created Service, you must select "Service receives selected : Files or Folders"
3. Then you must drag the Action called "Run Applescript" from the left list to the right area
4. inside the "Run Applescript" action, you paste the actual script. (see below)
5. You save the Service with a meaningful name, something like "ffmpeg_lowres_H264", then it is available when you right-click a file

So the actual Applescript template I use is:

Code:
on run {input, parameters}
	tell application "Terminal"
		activate
		set filesString to ""
		repeat with file_ in input
			set filesString to filesString & " " & quoted form of (POSIX path of file_)
		end repeat
		do script "for f in" & filesString & "; do
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i \"$f\" -ac 2 -s 640x360 -pix_fmt yuv420p \"${f%.*}_lowres.mp4\"
done"
	end tell
	return input
end run
The functional bit is the line that starts with /usr/local/bin/...
That's the specific ffmpeg command, in this case it creates a very small mp4 file. the $f thing is the variable for the filename.
If the source file is called Film.mov, it will create a file named "Film_lowres.mp4" in the same folder.

It also works when selecting multiple files, it will do the same conversion in a batch.

Let me know if you have a specific conversion type, I could try to give you the ffmpeg command

Last edited by nucelar; 3 days ago at 04:59 PM..
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search