The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Streaming Blanket License Proposal
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

New Streaming Blanket License Proposal

Due to the lack of sales, I propose that the blanket license structure needs to be revised.

Instead of one blanket license per streaming service. I propose that the end user pays a blanket license. this will increase revenue for rights collection. Take for an example Pandora - they pay a single license for 5 million listeners currently. Now if all those 5 million listeners had to pay a yearly license fee of $120 that would be $600 million collected for rights instead of $2500 for all.

This is just one service, now multiply that by all of the web streaming services.

the sampling method would only apply to broadcast radio. Anything over the internet can be logged so exact accounting can be set up per end user. The end user's blanket license money would be split up between what that person listens to.

What do you guys think?
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

The more interesting question would be, why hasn't this been done already, because that idea does seem simple and obvious, doesn't it.

No agreement on terms is my guess. Some say it's too little, some day nobody can live off that. And the streaming services want to pay as little as possible of course. It's thousands of people for themselves with old agreements and cash flows putting quite a damper on change, because change means someone makes less.

And meanwhile, the people help themselves and/or go for the most convenient solution, whichever they get to first.
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Now if all those 5 million listeners had to pay a yearly license fee of $120 that would be $600 million collected for rights instead of $2500 for all.
Many listeners bounce among services depending on what they want to hear at the moment. That's the big advantage of Internet radio: I'm not limited to just one program source in a particular genre, in my market.

But if I have to pay $10/month for each service, then I'm back at the mercy of the programmers. I have to pick one or two or three services only, depending on my budget. They'll all program for the most popular music only, to attract the greatest number of fee-payers. We'll end up with the tyranny of ratings that now forces out-air TV networks and local radio stations to sound so homogenized…

Oh… and how do you collect on non-US stations? Are you going to build an Internet firewall around the country?

Quote:
The end user's blanket license money would be split up between what that person listens to.
Or does that mean some official agency is going to monitor when and what stations I listen to on my local device, so they can split the fees? Fine, then I'll pay $10/month total, split between the songs and stations I receive. Make sure you send those non-US sites their fees, as well…

But not-so-fine: now the government (or some sanctioned PRO-like entity, beholden to the government) is monitoring my Internet activity.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search