The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How can you simulate how your show will sound on TV
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

How can you simulate how your show will sound on TV

Hi guys More questions! How do you simulate how your show will sound on TV?

"Just play it through your TV speakers!"

True, but after sending it out from our end, it goes through more compressors/limiters etc, so how can I make sure it'll sound okay/simulate those compressors? I'm in Singapore btw, where we're still running on tape.

Thanks guys, you guys are my saviours.
Old 23rd October 2013
DOn't worry , it gets worse than that, it goes thru all sorts of systems and mostly ends up AC3 on a digital cable feed... Make it sound good and Meet the specs ... After that its out of your hands. there is a detailed example of data path for broadcast sound in my "geo's sound post corner".

cheers
geo
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

...and welcome back Georgia, haven't seen you for a while ;-)
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Like Georgia said, make it sound good in your room.
You can't worry about what happens afterwards.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I find it educational to listen to what I've done on a TV speaker or a laptop, but I don't like to do it with clients present unless they insist. (Serious rabbit-hole and time-sink.)

philp
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Listen to as many of your shows as you can on the air. Get used to what the medium and home hardware does to them. Try to understand what the limitations are in terms of dynamic range, spectrum, and spatial image.

You'll still keep on mixing for what sounds good in your room, but be able to concentrate on the things that'll make the biggest impact for viewers.

Of course this is in your own brain. If your client asks "what will it sound like on the air", you'll have to start playing politics.
Old 23rd October 2013
Hi! been on location all summer shooting a couple features. i'm back.

cheers
geo
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I find it educational to listen to what I've done on a TV speaker or a laptop, but I don't like to do it with clients present unless they insist. (Serious rabbit-hole and time-sink.)

philp
Depends on the client I think.
Sometimes it shows them that they worry about stuff no one will hear outside a studio environment anyway and helps to 'keep them on track'.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Although it's true that you just need to worry about your mix sounding good, for me (I mix live TV) it's relevant to realise that details like too much room sound, or too much background noise, disappear to a certain degree on TV speakers.
So I do go for the best possible sound, but I know that making some compromises to sound quality (which is what you do basically all the time doing live TV) will still make for a fine sounding mix on the average TV system.

But I do not check this whilst mixing, this is just something I have learned over the years.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

cheers
geo
Ahh it is good to get out of the studio

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Depends on the client I think.
Sometimes it shows them that they worry about stuff no one will hear outside a studio environment anyway and helps to 'keep them on track'.
I agree, I have one client who insists on tv speakers as she's well aware of the amount of bass you tend to lose from general flat-screen speakers
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

The problem with trying to simulate TV broadcast is that no two systems are exactly alike. Every TV model sounds different and the room acoustics of every watching space is different, not to mention that each local provider can and will do all sorts of horrible things to screw up the broadcast, so there are just too many variables to be able to create a meaningful simulation.

I think the best you can do is to playback through a small stereo system that is reasonably good quality like Auratones or Avantones, which will at least give you some idea how much low end and high end you will lose and how the dynamics might be compromised. If you go too low end, you risk being tempted to degrade the mix more than you should. Try to avoid mixing to the lowest common denominator, if you can.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I always give my mixes a listen on some small speakers that I'm familiar with. I will also listen to mixes as they are being broadcast, and take mental notes for next time. Over the years there are less and less surprises when I hear them broadcast. Clients are always happy with how they sound as well.
Old 25th October 2013
What everyone said. I always check on smalls, Avantones or Auratones. Sometimes I'll spend a good deal of time mixing on them too. It has to sound great on good speakers AND bad speakers.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

The T racks from IK mulitmedia eq plug, it has a tv eq curve to test your mix on, but as the guys said might be better just to get it sounding great in your room, if you listen watch m tv etc the music mixes by Pensado ie snoop etc sound great just cause they are great mixes.

disclaimer I do not watch m tv and dont like snoop dog lol
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

cheers
geo
Perfect time for it. I miss that.

I try to mix so it sounds great on good systems and agreeable on mid to low end systems(TV speakers). People with lowend TVs usually just want to understand the dialogue and do seem to know that a bad speaker makes for a bad sound.
Old 27th October 2013
Alf
Here for the gear

I surprised nobody mentioned the use of emulators like the DP570 or Aero QC. Combined with a set of small speakers would give you a sense of what all your different viewers' equipment will do to your signal.
Alf
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search