The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Music cue sheets
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Music cue sheets

What are the TV mixers here supplying the music supervisor for music cue sheets? I've been creating a separate session with just the MX tracks and exporting a .txt file. Doesn't seem to be working for my current show.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

A music cuesheet, of the deliverable variety, usually requires:

* Cue title and M-number
* Cue duration
* Composer or artist
* Applicable collection society
* Perhaps the name of the publisher
* Usage type : Background or Visual, Instrumental or Vocal
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
I'll have my DAW make a pdf of the tracksheet, for just the music tracks. It's got the titles and start/stop times.

IF I've supplied the cue (like, some minor source or scene-setting cuts from a needle drop library) then I'll provide the PRO info as lines on a spreadsheet.

If the cue has come from the music supervisor or producer, I don't worry about the xls. They'll know the publisher details better than me, and can prepare the cuesheet based on my track sheet.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not being asked to prepare the music cue sheets, I'm being asked to provide them with a way of reading the tracks and times from my session. I don't have the publishing or rights info for the music. They have settled on looking at their own Avid timelines to get the info, but I feel that I may be overlooking a way to help them out.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
What are the TV mixers here supplying the music supervisor for music cue sheets? I've been creating a separate session with just the MX tracks and exporting a .txt file. Doesn't seem to be working for my current show.
This is what I've done for cue sheets, and thus far the music folks have been fine with them. What about it isn't working for them?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Apparently they import the .txt file using some conversion software called Pfylebryte into an Excell sheet. Something was not working for them. I'm trying to be helpful, but I don't know what else to do.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apparently they import the .txt file using some conversion software called Pfylebryte into an Excell sheet. Something was not working for them. I'm trying to be helpful, but I don't know what else to do.
Remember Pro Tools 10's text exports are difference that 9.x and before, software that was designed to read text exports up to 9 have to be updated before they'll be able to read 10's. 10's text exports have an extra column to show wether a region is muted or not.

I looked at Pfylebryte briefly and it's a web app, it's not clear what version of Pro Tools it uses. (Ironically I originally wrote Agent Orange to be a web app that people would pay a dime a page for, this thing seems to work the same way.)

Actually, if you imported the text export into Agent Orange and then exported it from AO, you might get something this dingus can read.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not being asked to prepare the music cue sheets, I'm being asked to provide them with a way of reading the tracks and times from my session.
The problem is that this doesn't give accurate usage timings -- you might be fading into the middle of a song on the fader, or the music might start several seconds into the region, neither of these will be reflected on the cue sheet.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

For this show, that doesn't happen. Pretty much wall to wall music. I thought of that too, fortunately in this case it's not a problem.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search