The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone use SW10 sub for 5.1?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone use SW10 sub for 5.1?

When using a sub like this for surround, how do you prefer to achieve an input for all 5 channels into the sub?

It only has inputs for L, R and Sub so I'm thinking make my own crossover in my sequencer, sum all 5 channels below my selected frequency and send it to the sub channel. Seems silly to only receive sub info from the L and R, doesn't it? I would of course highpass the satellites at the crossover frequency.

Any thoughts on phase issues doing this?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

You don't set up subs for surround in the same way you do for music. With music, you put the left and right into the sub, let it do the crossover, then come out to your left and right monitors.

With surround, the sub is only for LFE effects, and you have a dedicated LFE output that goes to it.

This assumes that your main monitors are full range and can handle most of the lows. However, you can simulate the bass managed experience of consumer systems by setting up a crossover in the software like you mentioned, or using a plugin that does that such as Waves Surround manager.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

I'm confused, are you trying to set up a system with bass management? Normally in 5.1 the sub only has one input, the LFE (the .1)

Edit: nst said this far more eloquently than I did
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You don't set up subs for surround in the same way you do for music. With music, you put the left and right into the sub, let it do the crossover, then come out to your left and right monitors.

With surround, the sub is only for LFE effects, and you have a dedicated LFE output that goes to it.

This assumes that your main monitors are full range and can handle most of the lows. However, you can simulate the bass managed experience of consumer systems by setting up a crossover in the software like you mentioned, or using a plugin that does that such as Waves Surround manager.
Right, this is what I forgot to clarify here...

Yes I want to use the sub for bass management of 5 surround speakers.
I could switch it out to LFE if I need to check that, but for most mixing I will be needing it for the low frequencies lacking in 5 monitors.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Again, would I be summing all 5 channels to mono, then applying the filter cutoff?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Okay, it sounds like you know what you're doing, and I may have misunderstood. Hopefully someone can chime in about how to do this with your DAW, barring any specialized software or equipment.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Monitor matrix or patch bay would be the way to go. You could setup some busses in Protools or other to do what you want but that is fraught with issues. I'd put all the inputs on a patch bay so you can patch discrete or through bass management (x over)
I have a martinsound multimax EX that I got second hand and I am pretty sure I can configure it to do this.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Again, would I be summing all 5 channels to mono, then applying the filter cutoff?
Yes, you could do it that way, but for bass management you also want to hi pass the satellites. Normally you would use separate crossover filters on the individual outputs to split the signals into their high and low frequency components prior to summing for the LFE. I use 4 pole Linkwitz-Riley hi and lo pass filters for the crossovers.

Here's some technical info on Linkwitz-Riley crossovers: http://www.rane.com/note160.html
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search