The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Interview with a lot of unwanted voices
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Interview with a lot of unwanted voices

I'm doing a doc, all interviews sound decent except for one.

This one has been taken outside, with a boom, with a lot of people behind the interviewed, in the range of the mike. The noise, actually, are other voices, even if indistinguishable.

Opening the file on RX, it's even difficult to 'see' the wanted voice against the others: it's very clogged in the main tonal zone (100 hz - 1000 hz).

Denoiser and dialog denoiser don't seem to work.

How would you deal with this? Thank you.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd tell the people you work with to subtitle it or re-record. They probably won't like that answer though, but what are you going to do? Sometimes they record crap and expect miracles. There is no such thing as miracles.

If anyone has suggestions I too would love to hear them.
Old 16th October 2013
ADR in a doc is almost never done, but subtitles are quite acceptable.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Subtitles...

...or, pop out a C4 and use it to really hone in on that voice and suppress the rest, and then just surround it with some fill. It doesn't work all the time, but its an option to try out.

Also, subtitles.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

A little expansion, if the interview subject is louder than the BG, otherwise do the same thing with edits and dropping the parts of the clip where the subject isn't speaking by a little--chip away at the problem with several tools. You can prob make it a little better, or at least enough better that the audio can be successfully supported with subtitles! I have ADR'ed docs, but only for short statements, no whole interviews!

philp
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thank you for your replies.

More precisely, consider that the interview at issue is like 6 seconds long, just one continuous sentence, with virtually no pause between words.

I'm trying to suppress the voices UNDER the interview, not between words.

Therefore expanding in not possible since the signal is just the phrase, no pause. Maybe a multiband expander would work? Does it exist? I'm gonna try multiband compression now.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

You really can do much more than eq. I have seen this a lot
Not enough separation for an expander to work.
C4 can help but must often extra compression just brings up bg

Isolate the the 1k area , apply a cut 3-6db adjust the q. Now you will need to compensate with some hf or high mid. So find a useable, semi clear band and nudge it up. Maybe something in the 100-200hz range will help if you can boost without muddying
Was this boomed or lav? If boom, then most sound ops will have used a lav. Is it possible you haven't been given it? If camera mic only you may have added issue if gain reduction or auto gain has been applied in camera.
In these circumstances you really can only nudge it a bit clearer. Id start with trying reduce gnarl
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Thank you for your replies.

More precisely, consider that the interview at issue is like 6 seconds long, just one continuous sentence, with virtually no pause between words.

I'm trying to suppress the voices UNDER the interview, not between words.

Therefore expanding in not possible since the signal is just the phrase, no pause. Maybe a multiband expander would work? Does it exist? I'm gonna try multiband compression now.
You can usually cut or suppress (manually or auto) between words/syllables even if there isn't a long pause. It'll sound choppier to you maybe but the audience might not think of it that way. It may help focusing on who's talking so it's easier to track the dialog we want the audience to hear simply because the edits follow the syllables of the dialog we want.

But as we said; they were dumb or careless when they recorded this and apparently didn't think audio was a priority, so now they get to suffer from that decision. Subtitles is my recommendation.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
...the interview at issue is like 6 seconds long, ....
Have you thought about making it available for several of the "Noise Ninjas" that frequent these parts to take a crack at cleaning it up? (Get permission first)
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

That's the file. It's in italian so it's not easy for you to work it out since you don't know the language.

It's the male voice, it says: 'Organizzazione e livello del concorso fantastico, davvero, livello professionale, livello artistico altissimo'. (Fantastic organization and level, really, very high professional level and artistic level).

In the first part is possible to see the very low and very high frequencies, so is workable to a degree. The second part is much worse.

I'm trying to cope with it with the brush tool, sine after sine, since it's just a few seconds. If you have any suggestions you're welcome.
Attached Files

Interview To Clean.wav (1.40 MB, 79 views)

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's the file. It's in italian so it's not easy for you to work it out since you don't know the language.

It's the male voice, it says: 'Organizzazione e livello del concorso fantastico, davvero, livello professionale, livello artistico altissimo'. (Fantastic organization and level, really, very high professional level and artistic level).

In the first part is possible to see the very low and very high frequencies, so is workable to a degree. The second part is much worse.

I'm trying to cope with it with the brush tool, sine after sine, since it's just a few seconds. If you have any suggestions you're welcome.
That's not going to to be better with any tool. Different maybe, but not better. Just tell your client to subtitle it.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not in the studio ATM, but you should try Unveil and iZotope Dereverb on this. I'm almost sure one of them will make it much better, maybe even intelligible (perhaps at a price of sounding weirder!)
Old 17th October 2013
Here's my quick attempt (mostly an excuse to more fully explore RX3 Advanced) It's a bit better in terms of broadband noise, but to get the female voices out, you'd have to go into Spectral Repair and really pick all the little bits out.
Attached Files

Interview To Clean-processed.wav (1.40 MB, 120 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search