The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problems importing AAF into Logic X (from Avid MC)
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Problems importing AAF into Logic X (from Avid MC)

I'm trying to mix/compose/sound design several scenes in a film in Logic X--yes, Logic X, and I don't want to get into a discussion about Pro Tools vs Logic. I use both, but Logic is the choice for this project for some of its composition and sound design options.

I'm having a bunch of frustrating problems importing an AAF file (created in Avid Media Composer). When I try to import the AAF file directly into LPX, several audio regions do appear. However, it quickly became apparent that 1) these regions were way out of synch with each other (with gaps between regions, totally screwing up the edit) and 2) a number of audio regions--entire tracks--were missing all together.

I've been working with the video editor to find the right combination of AAF export setting from Avid MC, but so far none of them result in a file that Logic X can open properly. The only workaround at this point is to import the AAF into Pro Tools 10, and then re-export that Pro Tools sessions as either a new AAF or OMF. THEN and only then does Logic cooperate. (If I didn't know better I'd say Avid is conspiring to keep me in the fold.)

Clearly this workaround isn't practical for an entire feature film. Any ideas why Logic X isn't importing these AAF files correctly? Clearly all the data is there in these original AAF if Pro Tools can read it all properly. Why won't Logic X play ball, too? Or do we need to choose different AAF export settings in Avid MC? Unfortunately my video editor says OMF isn't an option for HD projects. (OMF Export - Avid Community)

The goal here is to have the video editor send me an audio-only AAF with embedded audio files, and have Logic X open it natively without using Pro Tools to convert.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Can't help you, but if you use Logic for composition and sounddesign, I would just ask a stereo mixdown from the editor, use that in Logic to build upon and after completion just import all that and the final AAF in Pro Tools. If you know and use both Logic and PT, I'm sure you'll choose to do the final mix in PT.
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Stereo mixdown just won't cut it in this case; I need to be able re-time regions, re-cut edits, play with handles, etc. I'm pretty frustrated because I've never had this problem importing OMFs into Logic (or Pro Tools). AAF should be up to the task. Logic is supposed to import AAFs. The AAF I have works in Pro Tools.

Near as I can tell, it's either that Avid Media Composer isn't exporting a proper AAF (or we haven't hit on the right combination of settings) or something's wrong with the way Logic X imports AAFs. And if it's the later, as a longtime Logic user I want to make sure Apple knows that a feature they advertise as part of Logic doesn't function properly.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

For what it's worth, I spent some time on the phone with Apple's support center, and they claim to be looking into the problem. Here's crossing my fingers that they're able to suggest a fix or revise AAF import in an software update...
Old 27th November 2014
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am trying to import an AAF from AMC into Logic X and all I get are empty tracks. Any Advice?
Old 29th November 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesura View Post
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am trying to import an AAF from AMC into Logic X and all I get are empty tracks. Any Advice?
I work in both PT and LPX, and I run into this problem all the time. This usually works:

- Open the aaf in protools.
- export omf or aaf.
- open that in logic.
Old 29th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protone View Post
I work in both PT and LPX, and I run into this problem all the time. This usually works:

- Open the aaf in protools.
- export omf or aaf.
- open that in logic.
That worked pretty well. All the regions were lined up. The only minor problem is that the track names did not transfer to Logic. Have you had any success with that?
Old 29th November 2014
Here for the gear

No, unfortunately the track names don´t seem to make it to logic...
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

I've been on Logic since V5. It has had problems correctly importing OMF and now AAF ever since they added the feature. Clip volume & panning automation do not import correctly from Media Composer or anywhere else via AAF/OMF. Track names have never come across. Logic also won't import MXF audio media which is commonly used by Media Composer. (You have to get the editor to consolidate to AIF or WAV). Logic DOES work great using iXML when coming from Final Cut.

Sometimes I would import the OMF into SoundTrack Pro and reexport to OMF/AAF for logic. (Logic likes audio embedded in an OMF and in a separate folder for AAF. Helpful hint.) Often that worked out. I also bought AV Transfer at somepoint to help make OMFs compliant when coming from various editors. (AVID, FCP, Vegas, etc.)

Long story short: I finally bought Pro Tools for dealing with material that originates from AVID Media Composer. Major reduction in headaches in project import via AAF. And that meant more time mixing & sound designing for the projects at hand.

2 cents,
Sam
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search