Which reverb to buy for dialogue?

Currently looking at:

TL Space
Altiverb
Pheonix Verb or R2
Avid Reverb One
Any I missed?

1. I am on a tight budget - looking for best bang for my buck
2. I would like a go-to for all things dialogue (dont need cool music fx)
3. I'm on pro tools 10 (not HD)

Other side question - do I need "outdoor" presets? Or how do ppl make these?

For example, I have a demo of Reverb One and Pheonix right now, and to me Reverb One sounds better but Pheonix has some outdoor presets.

Thanks in advance for any responses, I know its kind of a newbie question.

Also, I have been reading threads on technique, this is just an investment question.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
if you could only afford one, altiverb has the most applications for dialogue imo.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Revibe, really the best verb I've found for dx matching.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Valhalla, but I do Doco and Commercial work, has a great sound, nice rooms also nice big creative reverbs for sfx.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Altiverb is convolution, works great.
IRs from mono, stereo to quad with different perspective/distances. You can also make your own.

ReVibe is not, works great.
Mono, stereo, quad, 5.1. Easy to automate and less DSP than Altiverb.

Either one will make you happy!
Old 21st August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a +1 for Altiverb.

You can create very useful IRs based on the production audio slates. It's not perfect 100% of the time, but if you have a clean recording of the slate (of the scene you are trying to match - or at least that location) you can create a custom IR for it.

Sometimes the IR can come out sounding a bit phase-y but when it works it's pretty golden.
I've never found it useful at 100% wet, but in my experience at around 30 to 40% your ADR really starts to settle into the scene nicely.

Also, I take a screenshot of the scene and save it with the IR so I'll have a visual reference in the future.
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I agree with Altiverb as you can get a wide variety of spaces
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Revibe.
Much more reliable and easier to deal with than Altiverb, which I've always found a PITA.
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I agree with Hench. I have Revibe, Altiverb, and several others. Revibe is my go to reverb for most applications. It's extremely flexible, and sounds very good.
I only use Altiverb if I need to match ADR to an odd sounding location. Usually because the dialogue is problematic. Then it can be useful. But 80% of the time, it's Revibe for dialogue for me. So if I had to choose one, it would be a no brainier for me.
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Get Revibe and Altiverb. They both work great. While I agree that Altiverb is a little clunky at first you get used to it and the next door IRs have saved my hide a number of times. If speed is king like what henchman has to deal with though, Re-Vibe all the way.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Revibe $45 on eBay
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Phoenix/R2, then Revibe then Altiverb.
Not a fan of Reverb One.
I want stability, flexibility.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Revibe.
Much more reliable and easier to deal with than Altiverb, which I've always found a PITA.
+1
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggstar View Post
1. I am on a tight budget - looking for best bang for my buck
Don't dismiss D-Verb. Will get you going with no money spent.
Especially for technicals like covering up edits and adr matching, the ambience algo works for me in most cases.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
TL Space works great for me & is my 'go to.'

Just got R2 & Valhalla cause It was picked for a project & liked it enough to keep it.

Altiverb is surely more popular, but the interface I find tedious and am too often unsuccessful with getting it to follow automation.
Old 21st August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoats View Post

Altiverb is surely more popular, but the interface I find tedious and am too often unsuccessful with getting it to follow automation.
And therein lies the problem.
I need plugins to follow their automation every single time, without fail.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoats View Post
TL Space works great for me & is my 'go to.'

Just got R2 & Valhalla cause It was picked for a project & liked it enough to keep it.

Yeah, I've been burned a few times by altiverb. Didn't they fix the automation issues in version 7? I haven't been brave enough to update yet.
Old 21st August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Really appreciate all the responses! Currently putting demos of most of these (along w D verb) in a session to see which I like the best.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
And therein lies the problem.
I need plugins to follow their automation every single time, without fail.
Does it snap shot, scene to scene ok?

Sent from my GT-N7000
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
Don't dismiss D-Verb. Will get you going with no money spent.
Especially for technicals like covering up edits and adr matching, the ambience algo works for me in most cases.
I too use D-Verb for mono matching. For real spaces in stereo and surround (with two stereo instances) I'm really really digging Air Reverb, also included in PT. I can recreate almost any space I've ever used from other popular plugins in minutes. I wanted to buy Revibe, but then discovered this one and realized I don't need anything else - it's highly tweakable and completely automatable. The downside is that it doesn't have almost any presets for post, so it will take you a lot of time to figure out some things if you don't have experience.... A good excercize would be to take some TL Space or Altiverb presets and try to recreate them with Air Reverb. Eg, you asked about 'outdoor' - the key here is to set the predelay to something between 100 and 200 ms (or more), and use it only on loud sorces, like someone yelling. Don't slap it on the entire dialog!
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Waves is passing around a coupon that can be applied to the already discounted IR 1 Con. Reverb. It's originally $500. On sale for $129, and then 50% off with coupon.

Anyone have any opinions on this verb?

thx.

-paul.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dverb is fine many times but my absolute favourite is Exponential Audio's R2.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
Waves is passing around a coupon that can be applied to the already discounted IR 1 Con. Reverb. It's originally $500. On sale for $129, and then 50% off with coupon.

Anyone have any opinions on this verb?

thx.

-paul.
I like the sound of it, but it was a struggle to get going. IR location is strange and I despise the interface. It feels 10 years old.... and just might be.

Altiverb and Speakerphone are still my go-to, but I've also started playing with the HOFA IQ Reverb. Too early to decide if it's diverse enough to work in tons of situations, but I was impressed out of the gate....
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I could only afford one reverb I would buy Revibe. I really like Altiverb for certain things, but I use it as a secondary reverb because I don't find it to be as reliable in terms of automation and there are some things it just doesn't do very well. I can get by fine with Revibe only.

There are new reverbs coming out soon from Exponential called Phoenix and R2 that are very promising but I haven't used them yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
There are new reverbs coming out soon from Exponential called Phoenix and R2 that are very promising but I haven't used them yet.
They are already out, and already PT11 compatible. I use R2 in virtually every session. Very, very good reverbs.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
you asked about 'outdoor' - the key here is to set the predelay to something between 100 and 200 ms (or more), and use it only on loud sorces, like someone yelling. Don't slap it on the entire dialog!
Thanks!

I will def work with D verb to see if I can achieve some of these fx. And it seems to me that I may shell out for R2 or Revibe - is compatibility with other people/stages something to consider? Would I just bring my ilok and install what I need there?
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
isn't ALTIVERB much faster (i mean: fast enough) in automation changes when used as RTAS / NATIVE?

i think the problem appears only when used as TDM - probably due to huge amonut of sample data beeing sent to TDM cards.

haven't checked this with HDX yet
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
isn't ALTIVERB much faster (i mean: fast enough) in automation changes when used as RTAS / NATIVE?

i think the problem appears only when used as TDM - probably due to huge amonut of sample data beeing sent to TDM cards.

haven't checked this with HDX yet
Altiverb on TDM is impossible. Snapshot automation is fixed in version 7. No need to bypass while changing snapshots.
Never had a problem on native, though it's a bit of a hassle.

I do miss ReVibe.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

The trick in AV 7 to make it reliable is to use only Atomation Preset for changing presets and not to mess it with anything else.
With being said, there are some bugs with not updating the "size" and "time" controls.
So yes, you should be careful with the automations...but it works for me 90%. I know it's silly but I like its simplicity and the sound of it.
Revibe is my number two reverb.
Old 23rd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
The trick in AV 7 to make it reliable is to use only Atomation Preset for changing presets and not to mess it with anything else.
With being said, there are some bugs with not updating the "size" and "time" controls.
So yes, you should be careful with the automations...but it works for me 90%. I know it's silly but I like its simplicity and the sound of it.
Revibe is my number two reverb.
90% isn't good enough.
It HAS to be 99.99%.
The .01 is for the minor minor things that happen regardless.
πŸ“ Reply