Which reverb to buy for dialogue?
Old 24th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➑️
90% isn't good enough.
It HAS to be 99.99%.
The .01 is for the minor minor things that happen regardless.
The way I make Altiverb 99.9% reliable is to set up a reverb I like and never change it. Since I mostly like the exteriors and 3 or 4 different rooms, I can have 4 or 5 instances of my favorites and just bus to those reverbs when I want them. However, that's only 99.9% reliable because half the time when I open up my template it doesn't remember the presets I chose, but once I set them they tend to stay there. If I need to change reverbs in the middle of a mix, I try to stick with Revibe.

The only thing that sometimes bugs me about Revibe is that if I hit a long reverb with a loud transient it sometimes gets too splashy. Altiverb tends to be much better for those loud transients, IMO.
Old 24th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➑️
90% isn't good enough.
It HAS to be 99.99%.
The .01 is for the minor minor things that happen regardless.
How do you measure the percentage?
Well, its my fault and I started it. But I agree, this issue with automation in AV is unacceptable.
The problem is that its not always re-producable, so I can't send the session over to AudioEase to fix. This is the worst thing.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honestly, I have never had Revibe cause any problems whatsoever.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
For a tight budget, non-TDM, convolution reverb I have been using Liquidsonics Reverberate with extremely good results. Very nice people at support too, not that I ever needed it very often, all the updates have been extremely stable so far (I am with PT 9.0.6 on OSX 10.6.8).
Old 1st September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have TL space, you can download the presets online and they work great as far as I concern.
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Head
The altiverb is very good and the altiverb 7 sounds really better than the TL space! I love the tc6000 for dialog, there are some good impulse response for altiverb of that
Old 2nd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've used Revibe extensively in the past. Never had an issue. There are lots of rubbish presets but if you spend time listening through them, you often find little gems that just work. I have a folder of great presets that are my go to settings for almost any situation.

I have dabbled with Altiverb recently but it's lack of AAX DSP is a big turnoff and I haven't yet got into the interface.
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich ➑️
The trick in AV 7 to make it reliable is to use only Atomation Preset for changing presets and not to mess it with anything else.
With being said, there are some bugs with not updating the "size" and "time" controls.
So yes, you should be careful with the automations...but it works for me 90%. I know it's silly but I like its simplicity and the sound of it.
Revibe is my number two reverb.
Unfortunately it is not true. I have automated only the Preset, and it still took couple of seconds (sometimes even more!) to change it on TDM. On Native I haven't experienced any issues.
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Greatgonzo: could you please write which presets you like for post?
Old 14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes ➑️
Dialogue presets are just great.
Old 14th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love Exponential Reverbs for Dialog. They are excellent!
And now they are 7.1 AND 5.1 !!
Deleted e479b20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound ➑️
I love Exponential Reverbs for Dialog. They are excellent!
And now they are 7.1 AND 5.1 !!
.1 for reverb?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They pass the .1 right through without touching it.
If you go to the website you will see the various
settings:
Mono
Stereo
LCR
LCRS
Quad
SDDS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e479b20 ➑️
.1 for reverb?
It's just to keep the LFE aligned. Most of the time, you're not going to put 'verb on a main stem (there are .0 variants of everything). But if you decide to pop on one last verb on a .1 stem, I delay it by the plugin delay, just so everything stays together.
Deleted e479b20
Hm. Why would I want to pass the direct .1 signal to my reverb via a send and have it come back untouched and add to the direct signal via the reverb return?

Maybe I'm blind but I can't see why I would want to do that.

But since there's a 5.0 version too I guess I'm fine.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was just going to buy the stereo Phoenix and R2 before the news of surround versions release. Will you provide any upgrade path?
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri ➑️
I was just going to buy the stereo Phoenix and R2 before the news of surround versions release. Will you provide any upgrade path?
Yes, I just bought the stereo versions (excellent reverbs!!), and will be very interested in the surround versions if there's an upgrade path
Old 15th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep. Will be picking these up ASAP.
Old 15th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
+1 for Phoenix and R2. I also end up using Valhalla for SFX and BIG spaces.
Old 17th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➑️
Hm. Why would I want to pass the direct .1 signal to my reverb via a send and have it come back untouched and add to the direct signal via the reverb return?

Maybe I'm blind but I can't see why I would want to do that.

But since there's a 5.0 version too I guess I'm fine.
I guess that would be for someone using it as an insert with the dry/wet thing, like many do for acoustic music recordings.
Old 18th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've been demoing the Phoenix. It sounds really great!

I will be buying the surround when it becomes available. I know there are no plans for a dsp version, but that would be killer.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Couldn't wait for surround and bought Phoenix and R2 right now. Hope for a nice upgrade path...
Old 19th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri ➑️
Couldn't wait for surround and bought Phoenix and R2 right now. Hope for a nice upgrade path...
Hmm, good thought, especially with the great deals available right now on the stereo versions. Tempting...
Old 19th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm very intrigued.
Which one is more appropriate for post (dialog mixing) - R2 or PhoenixVerb? Can't find this in the FAQ. Which one would you get first?
Old 20th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis ➑️
I'm very intrigued.
Which one is more appropriate for post (dialog mixing) - R2 or PhoenixVerb? Can't find this in the FAQ. Which one would you get first?
Hi,
They're both used for dialog. R2 may see a little more action because of the gate. You can use it to put that little reverb handle around ADR so that it matches up a little better with heavily-edited production dialog. But I know some facilities that use only Phoenix Verb for dialog. Both have a lot of small-room presets.

Michael Carnes
Lives for gear

Michael,

If you instantiate your new surround verbs as stereo or mono instances, do they take less CPU? It always seemed to me that Revibe sucked the same amount of juice, no matter where it was inserted.

Just curious.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec ➑️
Michael,

If you instantiate your new surround verbs as stereo or mono instances, do they take less CPU? It always seemed to me that Revibe sucked the same amount of juice, no matter where it was inserted.

Just curious.
Hi Chris,
They scale,both in terms of memory and CPU needs. In mono or stereo, they're not as light as the stereo versions (more complex early stuff), but they're close. They also don't burn any CPU in bypass, and they have their own dynamic processing that shuts them off if they're not doing anything.

Michael
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Virsyn's Reflect is quite nice for dialog

Very good at mimicking small rooms, which is great for matching ADR. Takes impulse responses if'n you want

E_REFLECT
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've used Altiverb, liked it. I've used TL Space, M'eh, it's okay but not my favorite. Never used Avid Reverb One, though it looks good. I've played with Phoenix and liked it a lot.

There are loads of other reverbs out there, but the ones above I have specifically used on dialogue. About the only thing I could add would be for you to take a look at Reverberate. It's a bit daunting and the UI could be better, but it's a fun little IR reverb rathole that you can do a lot with. Plus they have a fully featured demo.

Other reverbs I like (but haven't used on dialogue) are Sparkverb, 2CB2.

Let me know what you choose and if you like it.

Thanks

Aaron
πŸ“ Reply