The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
izotope RX3
Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
How does the noise reduction sound compared to rx2. I really didn't like it at all ( personal taste as I know lots of you like it) if it sounds the same i wont upgrade at this point, might save for a cedar instead

Sent from my Nexus 4
I find it better than RX2 in most cases, less artifacty. DeClipper and Spectral are better than previous versions also. You are not paying for a CEDAR so don´t expect one.
Show replies
Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
How does the noise reduction sound compared to rx2. I really didn't like it at all ( personal taste as I know lots of you like it) if it sounds the same i wont upgrade at this point, might save for a cedar instead

Sent from my Nexus 4
I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons, but my intuitive impression is that it is better than RX2 at everything.
Show replies
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

RX3 just saved my ASS on a VERY noisy cave track. No alt takes, no nothing. I was able to GREATLY reduce the noise, without adding too many artifacts. With some RT added in, it's pretty much unnoticeable. Brilliant!
Show replies
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons, but my intuitive impression is that it is better than RX2 at everything.
I like the other tools in rx2, but I'm not a fan of the de noiser. I've got other tools that I get better results with

Sent from my Nexus 4
Show replies
Old 6th November 2013
I used DeReverb on a couple clips for a Dirty Dancing promo, with some Dirty Dialog (groan). It's not as amazing as Unveil but it did a really good job. I seems to lose its 'tracking' with dirtier sources, stuff that Unveil handles really well. And when I bypassed it and un-bypassed it the sound seemed to change. Maybe just me, it was 10 minute tweak.

If I already had RX and didn't already have Unveil I wouldn't spend the extra $ on it, at least for my work. It is better, but for what I do it wouldn't be worth it. For a dialog editor or mixer with a lot of cleanup, absolutely
Show replies
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

I was blown away by several uses of Unveil. I've only had one go on iZotope de-reveb but found it a very different beast... and completely and utterly useless!

I was using typical 'a but too reverby' interior dialogue.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Unveil is an order of magnitude better in my experience as well.

Although there's an argument for having a de-reverb module in RX3 and that in itself is not too bad if you use it as a "restoration console," if you do anything half-serious then the Zynaptiq tools need to be in your arsenal anyway.

No doubt iZotope will improve the bits that aren't perfect yet though, they are clever that way. RX4 should be killer!
Show replies
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
I've only had one go on iZotope de-reveb but found it a very different beast... and completely and utterly useless!
agreed. it's sounds like applying a multi-band expander. pretty useless on reverb.

Unveil is in a totally different league regarding de-reverbaration.
Show replies
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Nut

I had similar experiences after using DeReverb for the first time last night. There was basically no workable middle ground between so much processing it was artifacty and so little it, well, did nothing. And this was after spending 20 minutes plus on a single clip. Haven't used unveil yet, so can't compare, but definitely wanna download a demo
Show replies
Old 19th December 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainspin View Post
I had similar experiences after using DeReverb for the first time last night. There was basically no workable middle ground between so much processing it was artifacty and so little it, well, did nothing. And this was after spending 20 minutes plus on a single clip. Haven't used unveil yet, so can't compare, but definitely wanna download a demo
This part of RX3 seems to not be ready for prime time quite yet but the rest of the suite is INCREDIBLE. I have not been so excited since WL6 was released. Kudos to the team at Izotope...They have another winner on their hands.

I just declicked and noise reduced a record transfer project for a client . I did it quickly and without a lot of problems and it sounds like virgin vinyl. WOW!!!!
Show replies
Old 2nd April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

Just bought the standard RX 3 earlier on this afternoon, I'm looking forward to learning & using it to its full potential!!
Show replies
Old 4th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Although there seems to be plenty of support for upgrading to RX3 advanced in this thread, does anybody have an opinion whether it's worth it to upgrade from RX2 to Rx3 standard at the $99 upgrade price?
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Although there seems to be plenty of support for upgrading to RX3 advanced in this thread, does anybody have an opinion whether it's worth it to upgrade from RX2 to Rx3 standard at the $99 upgrade price?
To my ears every single function in RX3 is better than it was in RX2. Due to how the feature set is distributed, going Advanced was mandatory for me, but if it's a decision between staying with Standard or not upgrading at all, I say spend the 99 bucks.
Show replies
Gear Guru

Quote:
IZ is running a 499 upgrade from RX2 standard to RX3 advanced, and Insight....

that is a freaking good deal.
Show replies
Old 5th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
IZ is running a 499 upgrade from RX2 standard to RX3 advanced, and Insight....

that is a freaking good deal.
ATM, there's a huge discount on RX3 till May 1st

RX 3 Advanced: $1,199.00 ---> $749.00 USD
RX 3: $349.00 ---> $249.00 USD
Show replies
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

At JRRshop.com, RX3 Advanced is the cheapest I've seen - $636 when you add it to your cart. That's even cheaper than Audiodeluxe, which is usually the cheapest.
Show replies
Old 5th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Is the spectral repair tool upgraded from RX2?
Show replies
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
This review appears to have concluded spectral repair remains very similar but with improvements to the interface.

iZotope RX2 vs RX3 – What’s Changed? | Creative Field Recording
Show replies
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
This review appears to have concluded spectral repair remains very similar but with improvements to the interface.

iZotope RX2 vs RX3 – What’s Changed? | Creative Field Recording
Great link, thanks!
Show replies
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Anyone with RX3 Advanced. Are you able to use the bundled Insight on a separate machine/iLok? Want to use RX in edit suite and Insight in mix room.
Show replies
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

dmitri- they are two independent ilok licenses, so you should be able to do that...
Show replies
Old 19th April 2014 | Show parent
I use it.
However I've chosen the serial authorisation method instead the iLok one.
When you upgrade to RX3 Advanced, just choose this option not the iLok.
iZotope also doesn't waive your older RX1 or 2 auth from the iLok account.
They take your word for it not re-selling them, though you theoretically could.
Respect to those who respect!
Show replies
Old 23rd April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Charles, Michael - thanks for your advice. I've bought RX3 advanced a week ago and I'm amazed with the possibilities and speed of workflow. Can't imagine working without it, although I have DNS-3000 and Sonnox Restore. Spectral repair does wonders. I tried RX1 just after it's release several years ago and was not impressed. They've done great work since then...
By the way, for the nearest future I'l keep both new toys (RX and Insight) for me, the mixer, and not my editor.
Show replies
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Anybody know if I can run RX 2 and 3 on the same computer or does the 3 installer overwrite the 2 installation?
Show replies
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, they can coexist.
Show replies
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your quick reply Alexey!
Show replies
Old 27th April 2014
Here for the gear

Question about the spectrogram in RX 3.

Is the computing time for demanding spectrograms (adaptively sparse, high frequency overlap, high time overlap) purely CPU based? Or is the GPU a factor as well?

I've noticed that the 4 cores of my CPU will be used, but the 4 hyperthreaded virtual cores stay parked. Is there a way to set up RX 3 to use all 8 cores?

Any input on how to maximize RX 3/my computer for heavy duty spectrogram work would be appreciated.
Show replies
Old 27th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Upgraded to RX3 advanced + Insight a few weeks ago but I've only used them extensively the past few days.

Overall, very happy I jumped on the offer.

RX2's declipper was already a life-saver but the newer one is absolutely superb.

The adaptive denoiser is very impressive, I've been automating the threshold/reduction by scene and gotten great results.

The upgraded interface in both stand-alone and the plugins is very intuitive.
Show replies
Old 27th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg14 View Post
Is the computing time for demanding spectrograms (adaptively sparse, high frequency overlap, high time overlap) purely CPU based? Or is the GPU a factor as well?
It is CPU-based, GPU is not used. What is your processor model and OS?
I'm using advanced spectrogram modes only occasionally, mostly staying with the quick “Auto-adjustable” setting.
Show replies
Old 28th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
It is CPU-based, GPU is not used. What is your processor model and OS?
Thank you for the response!

OS is Windows 7, CPU is i7-2600K (second generation i7).

Computing/rendering time with high settings is not too long, but wanted to make sure I had everything optimally set up.

Show replies
📝 Reply