The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
izotope RX3
Old 4th October 2013
Gear Head

Getting great results running DD in manual mode and automating on a clip by clip basis here.. Very easy to tweak and get good results

Then maybe and instance in auto mode with very minimal reduction on the dx chain..

As for dereverb, haven't been able to get any remarkable results there yet, but everything else is great for my needs.
Old 4th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
I jumped for the offer price, and really like the declipper and declicker improvements. Haven't had time to test the rest, except for the Dialogue Denoiser but have to say - I (so far) prefer the sound and results of a C4. I might not be as good with RX3 as with the C4 yet (new tool that the DDN is), but the very slightly chirpy artefacts I get there put me off it compared to the purely dynamic work of the C4. For now and the material I have tested it on so far that is!!
Be aware that sometimes noise masks problems with the recorded dialog. I've definitely had instances where listening to the dialog the first time it just sounds noisy, then after denoising it sounds 'clean' but with artifacts. But then going back to the original what sounded like artifacts was there all along, just covered by noise. Of course, hitting the denoiser hard will make the voice crappy, but in some cases it's more a matter of unveiling defects in my experience.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat Media Grp View Post
As for dereverb, haven't been able to get any remarkable results there yet, but everything else is great for my needs.
Nothing "remarkable" here yet either, but definitely "enough" for dialog to be brought "forward" enough to satisfy clients. It's a bit tricky to set though, but careful denoising will help perceived pumping I find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Been using the Dialogue denoiser pretty extensively on a save-a-faulty-radio-mic job. It's been extremely successful but only in manual mode (and I wish there was a makeup-gain slider right on the panel!)

Auto-mode, it does nothing! heh

That pic is hilarious! The reference made me laugh, thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Be aware that sometimes noise masks problems with the recorded dialog. I've definitely had instances where listening to the dialog the first time it just sounds noisy, then after denoising it sounds 'clean' but with artifacts. But then going back to the original what sounded like artifacts was there all along, just covered by noise. Of course, hitting the denoiser hard will make the voice crappy, but in some cases it's more a matter of unveiling defects in my experience.
That's a good point there. However the (only) material I have tested it on yet was MKH50 going into SD 788T. So I doubt that this was in the signal. Maybe pushing too hard, maybe a not ideal situation, but multiband expansion for me quite often seems to win over these FFT (or in this case probably combined) noise-print style algorithms. But in this case it was marginally. Then again, on my brutally revealing speakers, it is "there".

How does a Cedar work? Does anybody know? Very fine multiband expansion?

I'll keep ABing in the near future of course
Old 18th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
The only drawback I see is that Dialogue Denoiser takes 7% CPU on my i7 (the first instance, the later ones don't add anything, as someone else reported), so I'll have to think twice about using it in a big project, where every CPU cycle counts....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
Ok, so I found something a bit unnerving about the DX denoiser: At 96k, ONE instance of it maxes out my 8 core Mac Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
It's a bit of a CPU hog where my CPU percentage will jump 30% when it isn't bypassed, but I didn't notice any power stacking at all when having multiple instances working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I can confirm that it's a moderate CPU hog (about 18% on my Core i7 2.66 running Windows 8), but the drain doesn't increase with added instances.
There is now RX 3.01 out, where Dialogue Denoiser runs almost twice as fast (without any quality loss). Please check it out.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Downloaded. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Gear Maniac

Cool!

I don´t see the optimization of Diadenoiser on the featurelist. You should absolutely mention it there.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Whoops!

Seems to be a bug in 3.01 where dia-denoiser and dereverb won´t recognize the ilok when in RTAS or AS. Standalone and the others seem fine.

PT 10.3.7
Mac os 10.8.4
newest ilok drivers
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_lode View Post
I don´t see the optimization of Diadenoiser on the featurelist. You should absolutely mention it there.
It's in the feature list of the Advanced version.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I´m an idiot.

I downloaded RX3, not RX3 advanced.

Move along, nothing to see here.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
There is now RX 3.01 out, where Dialogue Denoiser runs almost twice as fast (without any quality loss). Please check it out.
Yep, just opened a current post project with a number of DD's running, and I gained back 10% CPU in Pro Tools 10 HD. Thanks for the Friday Freebie!
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

i picked up RX3 (non-advanced) to remove some micro ear bleed on a new show coming in december ... very impressed with the Spectral Repair ... if all goes well this will save a network show ... and I have not read any manual - just a few youtube videos over the last year ... did not really have a need for it up until now and now i feel like i wish i had this type Repair Kit all along ... thank you Izotope ... can anyone compare this to the Sony Version ?? if they are complimentary I may pick that up as well, but if they both do relatively the same I will save some cash for another tool .. thank you john
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

What's micro ear bleed?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

micro ear's are IFB's that are RF .. without the need for an over the ear Clear Tube Loop - fits in the ear ... crank them up to loud or they are loose and you can get bleed into mic's ..
Old 28th October 2013
The DeClipper is brilliant!
Old 28th October 2013
Trying to decide if RX3 Adv is worth it... it seems like it gains a ton of features over the RX3, which is probably why it costs so much. I can't afford Adv in any way right now, but I feel like if I was to get RX3, it would have to be Adv...
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Redjacket on here is selling advanced copies for five bills. Look him up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 28th October 2013
I used DD on some audio recorded on a beach and mic'ed too far away. Typical nightmare audio. It was a quick no-time-for-the-manual fix... and... amazing results.

+ 1 for a makeup gain (maybe auto-makeup gain too). And maybe a Presence knob for after processing like Unveil has, I lost some highs that had to be eq'd back in.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOmix View Post
I used DD on some audio recorded on a beach and mic'ed too far away. Typical nightmare audio. It was a quick no-time-for-the-manual fix... and... amazing results.

+ 1 for a makeup gain (maybe auto-makeup gain too). And maybe a Presence knob for after processing like Unveil has, I lost some highs that had to be eq'd back in.
Agreed.

Old 28th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Since we are in feature-request-mode:

I would love to see a gain function in Audio suite mode.
Sometimes it is easier to lift what you want out of the noisefloor than to reduce the unwanted sutff, and in stand alone mode RX has this function. Would be a great addition to spectral repair.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Oh .... i need to learn how to do this ...

"lift what you want out of the noisefloor than to reduce the unwanted sutff"
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Oh .... i need to learn how to do this ...

"lift what you want out of the noisefloor than to reduce the unwanted sutff"
I disagree with this methodology.
I tend to view out as much noise that I can without effecting the quality of the dialog.
Reason being, so you don't hear things pumping when raising quiet lines or end of sentences that drop off. Also, you might have mixed a noisy scene, leaving lots of noise in, because theres music to help hide it.
Then, after playback, someone decides they don't want music there, and you have to remix the entire scene.

I also find it simply being lazy.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Also, you might have mixed a noisy scene, leaving lots of noise in, because theres music to help hide it.
Then, after playback, someone decides they don't want music there, and you have to remix the entire scene.
This deserves being repeated. In type of programming I've done this has often been the case, and having to deal with it on the spot when music has been pulled out is just wasting the client's time (when attending the mix playback).
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

maybe i am thinking about this process described the wrong way ... i agree i would be cleaning up the surrounding noise First, as my process is ... but pulling say a word out of context in a noisy program might be helpful ... i do not do episodic - mostly i get a few things here and there that are unusable at best ... and sometimes just need to not touch anything but this one element that needs to poke out a bit ... in that case it could be helpful to know how to do it ..

but again i agree as you say clean the surrounding area / pushing the noise away from the wanted elements ...

i hope i explained that well ...

the earpiece bleed i am about to start dealing with is the producer yelling into the ear of the talent on set / and then leaving his finger on the Momentary button too long and you hear the director calling cameras as well .. and he was loud ... EQ'ing the 3k bleed touches the dialogue to much IMHO, but the Spectral does a nice job of attenuating the bleed to a usable degree ...

mind you, no producer should be talking to the talent that much during a taping but it happened .... and I used to Production Mix "Change of Heart" years ago and the producer fed every single line to the Host through his IFB ... i had a fostex speaker in the booth and would listen to this direct IFB feed - brilliant it was .. as the host could listen and repeat while speaking - he was an animal at it ... and no one knew the better ... the production i am speaking of cleaning was not as smooth by any means ...

cheers

john
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

How does the noise reduction sound compared to rx2. I really didn't like it at all ( personal taste as I know lots of you like it) if it sounds the same i wont upgrade at this point, might save for a cedar instead

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I disagree with this methodology.
I tend to view out as much noise that I can without effecting the quality of the dialog.
Reason being, so you don't hear things pumping when raising quiet lines or end of sentences that drop off. Also, you might have mixed a noisy scene, leaving lots of noise in, because theres music to help hide it.

I also find it simply being lazy.
Over use of De-noiser units including Cedar make your dialog sound worse than with the noise there..
I've been hearing lots of overuse on TV and even a motion picture .. Please back off on the noise reduction.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
mind you, no producer should be talking to the talent that much during a taping but it happened ....
It's a new world out there. They know anything can be fixed in the mix these days. I have video editors place room tone for me to use (thanks) which contains the producer(s) talking to the host and others on set without an earpiece (but not thanks) all the time. Apparently they can't hear it in the edit suite and think all is well. Nobody ever tells the producer of course.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's ok, my last room tone was preroll.... lol

Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
Over use of De-noiser units including Cedar make your dialog sound worse than with the noise there..
I've been hearing lots of overuse on TV and even a motion picture .. Please back off on the noise reduction.

Sent from my Nexus 4
I don't disagree.
It's knowing how to use and not abuse your tools.

I think the big problem is that work people want to use a tool like CEDAR to do the whole thing in one go. And it doesn't work that way. I have heard of people using 3 instances of CEDAR ONE on their dialog tracks.

It just doesn't work that way.
But it's not hard to get clean dialog, using a variety of processes at the same time.

I recently saw a movie, outside scene, nighttime. And even though there were additional crickets cut, I could hear the little surge of additional production crickets on each line. That should have been notched out. It's not that hard. I also don't want to hear a chorus of production crickets all over my dialog either.

I approach my TV dialog, the way I would a feature. Clean, full. Every camera angle, every shift, every character,every word, has to match as much as possible. Anything less is lazy.
📝 Reply