The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV Broadcast Sound Specifications in European Countries
Old 26th June 2013
Arrow TV Broadcast Sound Specifications in European Countries

Hi all,

As a post production engineer for international brands who divvy their tv campaigns to numerous european countries I have dealt with all kinds of tv stations throughout the continent, each time having to ask whether R128 is already in place or what kind of other sound specs they are accepting. ever since then my wish for a thorough list of the latest state of any european network or station that we can think of is growing bigger and bigger.

However, EBU won't even supply a list of countries that already did switch to R128, so I'd just call my Austrian EBU affiliate or even a local studio facility somewhere in my target country for every new area that I'm confronted with and ask him or them.

I'm dead sure I'm not the only one having these nightmares. Hence I am starting this thread and hoping for your support in completing and regularly updating a list that I have been starting to create. Might even turn it into a website of its own once I have some time.

Here's part of what I have gathered so far, maybe it already helps some of you guys. Please correct me if I'm wrong or add a country that you know of. It's going to be much appreciated!

AUSTRIA
R128 in place with -23LUFS, true peak not exceeding -3dBFS on all national networks such as ORF, ATV, PULS4, SERVUSTV;
for any material longer than 2 minutes (e.g. shows, documentary) loudness range must not be greater than 15LU (in stereo) or 20LU (in 5.1).

local (province) stations may vary, so far I know that TIROLTV is still at 0dbFS.

ITALY
R128 in place, no other specs known at this point

FRANCE

GERMANY
R128 in place with -23LUFS, true peak not exceeding -1dBFS on all national networks. any exceptions?

SWITZERLAND
R128 in place with -23LUFS, true peak not exceeding -3dBFS on all national networks. any exceptions?

CZECH REPUBLIC
R128 with -23LUFS, true peek not exceeding -3dBFS. any exceptions?

SLOVAKIA
peak level -9dB for state-owned networks, no loudness implementation.
other stations vary, my knowledge is TV MARKIZA and TV JOJ with peak level at -14dBFS, no loudness. anyone who knows better please correct me!

SERBIA
peak level -6dBFS, no loudness implementation. crank the 2-bus!

UNITED KINGDOM
peak level -10dBFS, no loudness implementation. crank the 2-bus!

SPAIN
peak level -9dBFS, no loudness implementation.
the word is out though that they're planning to switch to R128 later this year. Any update on that?

ROMANIA
peak level -10dBFS, no loudness implementation. crank it!

SWEDEN
some stations use peak level -4dBFS, some -9dBFS, no loudness implementation.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

http://www.r128audio.com/

Might be of use in this thread too.
Old 26th June 2013
NORWAY
-12dB program peak limit. Crank The 2-bus.
-9dB commercial peak limit. Crank The 2-bus Even more.
Old 26th June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktoraudio View Post
SWITZERLAND
R128 in place with -23LUFS, true peak not exceeding -3dBFS on all national networks. any exceptions?
Local Stations like TeleZüri / Tele M1 / TeleBärn
-9dB (R68)

cheers and thanks
chris
Old 26th June 2013
thanks guys! @FullFrequency: cheers for the link! indeed I did not know this page, but information is a) scarce regarding e.g. true peak level and b) partly outdated as far as my knowledge goes - apparently Scandinavia has not yet made the step.
Old 26th June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
FRANCE
Yes, there's a tighter specification in France (for TV Broadcasters, it's a common spec) :
http://www.cst.fr/IMG/pdf/CST_-_RT_0...0_english1.pdf
which includes : max true-peak less than or equal to -3 dBTP, some margins for dialogs (measured with short-term meter) and a max short-term for ads.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktoraudio View Post
SERBIA
peak level -6dBFS, no loudness implementation. crank the 2-bus!
Only our national broadcaster (RTS) is asking for -6dBFS, most others (if not all) ask for -9dBFS.
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Nut

GREECE: oops. no broadcaster. not that there were any standards when it was still on
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head
UK? where do you get your info. Woefully out of date.
Sky transmit 5.1 in R128 from dolby E streams. The DPP (digital production partnership) which make up the BBC, SKY Ch4 ITV etc have produced this
The UK is in a transitional state and all programming myst be R128 and PPM (-10dbFS) compliant. Amen.
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerophonics View Post
The UK is in a transitional state and all programming myst be R128 and PPM (-10dbFS) compliant. Amen.
Hey Mike,

Perhaps I've read your post incorrectly, but with the UK you don't need to worry about PPM at all for the main channels. the reason they have both in the spec is because you can do either R.128 or PPM until they fully switch over. It's true that this is extremely unclear in the spec sheet. I have spoken to tech departments at BBC, C4, C5 and Sky to verify this.
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFrequency View Post
Hey Mike,

Perhaps I've read your post incorrectly, but with the UK you don't need to worry about PPM at all for the main channels. the reason they have both in the spec is because you can do either R.128 or PPM until they fully switch over. It's true that this is extremely unclear in the spec sheet. I have spoken to tech departments at BBC, C4, C5 and Sky to verify this.
Just finished a show for Cbeebies which we started delivering 7months ago, was told PPMs was fine to go with when I asked the question so I'm guessing the next season will be R128
Old 27th June 2013
cheers mikerophonics and danijel! thanks for updating. think I had my last uk master some time ago.

I'm updating my list on the fly so keep 'em coming

another update on SLOVAKIA: aforementioned stations TV MARKIZA and TV JOJ seem to be measuring the VU level which must not exceed -18dBVU, true peak must not exceed -12dBFS. Now that's quite an exception...
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

In Hungary we are way behind everybody, most if not all stations still require max peak at -9dBFS.
More and more considering r128 but no real action behind it yet.
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
Just finished a show for Cbeebies which we started delivering 7months ago, was told PPMs was fine to go with when I asked the question so I'm guessing the next season will be R128
Yeah, they've had it in the spec since just before xmas, and as long as you put it on the record report you can do either for now.
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

POLAND

Most stations -23LUFS +-1
some of them still use -9dB

There is one, where there is -23LUFS with peaks -9dB

best,
Kuba
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head
UK UPDATE: just spoken to Sky's Head Of Sound, the DPP will be updating the Uk delivery spec to R128 only probably within a month or so YIPEE! - so keep your eye on the ball peeps!

cheers

Mike
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
UK UPDATE: just spoken to Sky's Head Of Sound, the DPP will be updating the Uk delivery spec to R128 only probably within a month or so YIPEE! - so keep your eye on the ball peeps!

cheers

Mike
Any mention of 5.1 being mandatory by any chance? Thanks
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head
nope - but note:

for sky divergence on in vision dial/sync where C is 3-6dB greater than LR (nice - for TV this works very well), but OOV VO or Narr to be centre only.

stereo to be pref a downimxed LtRt (PL2)

best of all - sky are going to accept discrete files (as they ingest the dolbyE as discrete in their tapeless world anyway). Soon it will be bye bye E!

cheers
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Head
sorry also note:

for sky - HD stereo is downmixed in set top box from 5.1 according to metadata and SD stereo is the LtRt PL2 (mostly).

cheers
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
nope - but note:

for sky divergence on in vision dial/sync where C is 3-6dB greater than LR (nice - for TV this works very well), but OOV VO or Narr to be centre only.

stereo to be pref a downimxed LtRt (PL2)

best of all - sky are going to accept discrete files (as they ingest the dolbyE as discrete in their tapeless world anyway). Soon it will be bye bye E!

cheers
Quote:
sorry also note:

for sky - HD stereo is downmixed in set top box from 5.1 according to metadata and SD stereo is the LtRt PL2 (mostly).

cheers
Great thanks
Old 28th June 2013
Gear Head

Denmark.

National broadcaster TV2 - R128 max. True Peak -3dB

National broadcaster DR - R128

TV3 +9 dB Nordic scale PPM

SBS +6 dB Nordic scale PPM
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

For Belgium most commercial and public broadcasters ask for R128, -23LUFS TP -3dBfs.
Some have special requests such as limited dynamic range and a maximum momentary loudness of +8LU. But I don't worry to much about those things and mix by ear and it comes out fine. In Belgium there is hardly any QC. And I'm convinced that those limitations aren't to the benefit of listener, if it's mixed properly. If it's not up to spec, the loudness processor will "make it fit".
Old 29th June 2013
Here for the gear

UK 12 frame silence

One thing worth mentioning, apart from levels, I've mixed spots for U.K. where the spec included 12 frames audio silence at head and tail of spot. Sometimes requires music re-edit or sometimes worse (dialogue).
Cheers
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

Swedish radio is going to R128 with -23 LUFS in the fall
Most material there is already being done at -23 so that is what I would deliver even before the changeover.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

SR is?
For radio?
I'm slightly surprised as its not a system originally intended for radio as far as I know.

Swedish television is still evaluating the possibilities an limitations as far as I was told a month or so ago.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
SR is?
For radio?
I'm slightly surprised as its not a system originally intended for radio as far as I know.

Swedish television is still evaluating the possibilities an limitations as far as I was told a month or so ago.

AFAIK, the Norwegian radio, NRK have been using R128 for digital radio since early february

Here are the EBU specs for radio
http://tech.ebu.ch/webdav/site/tech/...h/tech3344.pdf
Old 5th July 2013
P_J
Here for the gear

In Finland national broadcaster YLE is already R.128 -23LUFS / -1dBTP and all the other major broadcasters are going R.128 by the end of 2013. For commercials there is -3dBTP limit (for the present).
Old 22nd August 2013
R128 in Spain?

hey all,

and thanks for all your time and intel. is there any update to the situation in Spain? as far as i know we still have R68 (-9dBFS peak level) in place, whereas catalan stations have already implemented R128 according to this article: Catalan broadcasters agree to adopt R 128

true/not true?
please share your knowledge, thanks!
matt
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeyh View Post
NORWAY
-12dB program peak limit. Crank The 2-bus.
-9dB commercial peak limit. Crank The 2-bus Even more.
So if I set the master in logic or any DAW to hit peak on -12. Then I´m ok?
And then do all the loudness processing in the mix and on a premaster?
Old 25th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakkes View Post
So if I set the master in logic or any DAW to hit peak on -12. Then I´m ok?
And then do all the loudness processing in the mix and on a premaster?
No True Peak measure. Brickwall limit to -12 and -9dBFS.
TV3 (Viasat) just changed their spec. They want a -10dBFS limit now.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear