The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why did I just see Post Production Assistants credited before Sound Mixer?
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Head

Why did I just see Post Production Assistants credited before Sound Mixer?

Was watching Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and noticed that the Post Production Assistants' credits showed before the Sound Mixer.

Anyone here know why?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't take anything what so ever from credit orders. Depends on production company. I've been listed as dubbing mixer from anything from just after narrator at the start, to right before series producer at the end.
Old 29th May 2013
Some TV credits in the UK would sort of form a 'U' curve on a graph if charted by a perceived 'seniority' rank.

As mentioned, it varies.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

4 things about credits:

1: on many if not most shows they exist and are formed by the whim of the producer and director

2: many people's contracts specify where in the scrum their name has to be
(esp composers)

3: the logic of how non-contract-specified credits get assembled is often convoluted, and is also often ordered by someone's idea of task groups. Thus sometimes all the picture edit people incl interns are listed before the heads of the sound dept.

4: if you don't ask you don't get

philp
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
4 things about credits:

1: on many if not most shows they exist and are formed by the whim of the producer and director

2: many people's contracts specify where in the scrum their name has to be
(esp composers)

3: the logic of how non-contract-specified credits get assembled is often convoluted, and is also often ordered by someone's idea of task groups. Thus sometimes all the picture edit people incl interns are listed before the heads of the sound dept.

4: if you don't ask you don't get

philp
Makes sense, thanks.
Old 30th May 2013
The credits on most TV programs goes by so fast no one can read them.

When I worked in TV the credits were done in various orders sometimes alphabetical sometimes in descending order of who is important and sometimes the producer's nephew got top billing even though he was, in reality, a go fore.

As long as I get paid that is what is important.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The credits on most TV programs goes by so fast no one can read them.

When I worked in TV the credits were done in various orders sometimes alphabetical sometimes in descending order of who is important and sometimes the producer's nephew got top billing even though he was, in reality, a go fore.

As long as I get paid that is what is important.
And now in addition to going by at warp 10, they're all squeezed into a corner box or a bottom 3rd!

And I agree... I could really care less where my name ends up on that roll, as long as it ends up on "Pay to the Order of"
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

For TV, I agree that being in the credit roll no one reads is a courtesy, nothing more. (I DO want to be on the IMDB roster for the project though, that's important.) For films show at festivals it's more important to me, since people do look at those credits--kind of free adverstising.

philp
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

All I care about is the proper credit on IMDB, and, as Sonsey put it, a check that clears.
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
All I care about is the proper credit on IMDB, and, as Sonsey put it, a check that clears.
Well, as the guy who sound edited and mixed 80% of what Tony did with ZPZ (the production company behind A COOK’S TOUR, NO RESERVATIONS, PARTS UNKNOWN, all of which I felt very lucky to work on), I can tell you Henchman is quite right; I was happy to get listed and the order didn’t matter to me, but the production company likely grouped -post together (my colleague Steve Beganyi (Colorist) usually came right before me).

Since there rarely was a location sound mixer (sometimes more in later years when big groups sat at a table or celebrities went along, otherwise it was the cameramen who handled mic’ing), audio-post (at first sound design/mix, later sound edit/mix) was the only credit for audio, it made sense to group it with everything post, and the AE’s would have been before me since they were linked to editorial.

Have to say, I never really cared about the order, was happy to be listed in the program to begin with; many shows I work on list the Execs. and that’s it (rest online), or they wizz by (kind of insulting in my book).

Either way, yes..IMDB is key and I’ve often had to fight to get shows listed there.

No matter what, glad you watched the show!
Old 23rd February 2020
Lives for gear

I share the LAST card with the Online Editor
We are the only 2 on a single card as we are the finishers.
I don’t care who comes before us!!!

Oh and the checks come on Thursday morning every
week, and they haven’t bounced in11 years!!!
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

But I can’t help it, getting a title card up at the start of a film or the show does feel good.
To me it shows appreciation. As I am employed and not a freelancer little things like that matter.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp1337 View Post
Was watching Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and noticed that the Post Production Assistants' credits showed before the Sound Mixer.

Anyone here know why?
The people who want to find out will find out. The rest won't read the credits anyway.

The end roller is the producer's call. Some dept. (unions) have strict rules about where, when and how the producer needs to credit them.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennym View Post

Either way, yes..IMDB is key and I’ve often had to fight to get shows listed there.
There's no need to fight. Just sign up with imdb (even non pro is enough) and put your credits up yourself. Anyone can. There are a ton of nonsense credits from imposters on imdb. Often even the foreign language or trailer/teaser mixers list themselves on the original film's imdb page. Or foreign language voice artists list themselves in the original film's sound dept never to be seen on any end roller.

There's no need to wait for the producer to do it. Some won't anyway.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Guru

Couple things. 1., The person preparing the titles probably does most of it before the show's mixed. It's nonlinear so that shouldn't be a reason, but it carries over from the old days on tape. And 2., referring back to #1 , I can't tell you how many times I watched the layover from 1" video to 24-track and U-Matic and saw that the credits were already done. Be grateful your name's on there at all.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve had 1000s of film/tv credits, they’re all over the map. Sometimes head credits and readable, sometimes I’m lumped in a group of dozens for 2 frames of screen time at the tail.

Most likely, the post department had sex with the exec-pro and you didn’t. I recommend knee pads and vaseline.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search