The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Audio Technica's BP 4029 worth it?
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Is Audio Technica's BP 4029 worth it?

Hello everyone!

I'm considering on buying this stereo shotgun for multi purpose field recordings. I already own a 416 and I'd love and MS mic for a decent price. Can anybody give me a good or bad feedback about it? Is it detailed, noisy, responsive?! You know the deal...

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2012
It is a decent microphone. But sure there are better things. If it is working properly it shouldn't be noisy at all.

I love MS recording...it is all good !

Last edited by carlosj; 14th November 2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks carlos! Is there any better for the same price range?!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I do not like them.
They are not as reliable as a 416, and m/s with a shotgun mid does noet really make sense. Look at the polar pattern of the mid and side, they barely overlap.
An m/s shotguns sounds very stereo, but the stereo field doesn't make a lot of sense.
At a certain biggest sporting event in the world, (which is an AT only production, sponsorship deal) we "secretly" used 416's for the moto cams instead of the required 4029's because even with 2 condoms around the mic, they couldn't deal with very bad rain.. Also, because of the side figure of eight, you could hear the cameramen talking very close because the sid mic was aiming right at them..
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks huub good feedback there! The point is i want a portable stereo set up and the "one mic" formula appeals me. The BP4029 is the most affordable i've found... what do u suggest? Or else what would be a good figure-of-8 partner for my 416?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk
Old 11th May 2013
Here for the gear

and what is about selfnoise?
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Addict
You could get the Ambient emesser and stick that on top of your 416 for a cheap solution. no-one is pretending that it is a schoeps or high end stereo mic, but it will be workable compromise.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Buy the 418s. I have a new one for sale for $1200.00.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Don't know about the 4029, but the Audio Technica BP4025 is a great XY stereo mic. I don't really understand the concept of "stereo shotgun mic". That seems like a contradiction to me.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Don't know about the 4029, but the Audio Technica BP4025 is a great XY stereo mic. I don't really understand the concept of "stereo shotgun mic". That seems like a contradiction to me.
It is.

I use stereo shotguns because we have a bunch, and sometimes they're fine or even great sounding for crowd sound.

But really, either you use a shotgun, or if you want single mic stereo use a normal M/S mic with a cardioid center.

Like I said, the mid and side of a stereo shotgun barely overlap, and you use a shotgun for reach/isolation, why combine this with a figure of eight facing sideways?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search