The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
.mov audio Problem
Old 27th February 2012
Here for the gear

.mov audio Problem

Hello,

I am working on a sound design piece for a TV Drama. I have been sent a low res .mov and the audio files for the project. However the client has sent me the audio files as .mov's. I assume this happened when exporting from Final Cut.

Is there an easy way to convert these back to audio files?

I have tried to change the extension but Logic is still not having it.

Cheers

Rob
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict

Download Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows and export the audio from the files. You can do a batch conversion by hitting Command+B

Quote:
Originally Posted by robturner88 View Post
Hello,

I am working on a sound design piece for a TV Drama. I have been sent a low res .mov and the audio files for the project. However the client has sent me the audio files as .mov's. I assume this happened when exporting from Final Cut.

Is there an easy way to convert these back to audio files?

I have tried to change the extension but Logic is still not having it.

Cheers

Rob
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict
Add movie to a new Logic file, and then extract audio.
Old 27th February 2012
Here for the gear

I had the same problem some time ago and I just converted the movie files to .wav in QT pro. Was no big deal at all and easily done. Roy's method is quite cool though!

Cheers, dave
Old 27th February 2012
Quicktime pro or if you have a newer mac Quicktime pro 7 will convert to aiff or .wav.

How come the editor isn't sending OMF's.... just sayin'

cheers
geo
Old 27th February 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, I will give those a try!

Rob
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Nut

You can also do it as a batch in Compressor if you have it as part of Final Cut Studio. But yeah...with QT Pro or Streamclip you can just export audio only files.

What probably happened is that the 'editor' used a command-E export and chose 'export audio' only...but it still labels/makes it a '.mov'. You have to chose export 'audio to AIFF', or 'audio to OMF' specifically.

Are the 'audio files' full-length tracks with 2-pop sync, or are they just chunks of exported audio that you have to somehow find what goes where? Already pre-leveled/mixed and such? As Georgia mentioned, they should know how to export the audio in a raw, editable format like an OMF with handles.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on omf

I had a guide mix supplied to me the other day as a .mov, just audio. I just changed the extension to .wav out of curiosity and it worked...
Old 28th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc99 View Post
You can also do it as a batch in Compressor if you have it as part of Final Cut Studio. But yeah...with QT Pro or Streamclip you can just export audio only files.

What probably happened is that the 'editor' used a command-E export and chose 'export audio' only...but it still labels/makes it a '.mov'. You have to chose export 'audio to AIFF', or 'audio to OMF' specifically.

Are the 'audio files' full-length tracks with 2-pop sync, or are they just chunks of exported audio that you have to somehow find what goes where? Already pre-leveled/mixed and such? As Georgia mentioned, they should know how to export the audio in a raw, editable format like an OMF with handles.
yes all the audio is synced so it should be fairly easy once I convert it to audio.
I have compressor so i think i will use that

Thanks!
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Believe it or not, try going to the "Add Audio" menu item in the Media pane in Logic and selecting the .mov files to add. Logic will quickly figure out that you just want the audio from those, and convert directly to .aif files.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_mattie View Post
Add movie to a new Logic file, and then extract audio.
Perhaps my option wasn't explained sufficiently.... When you add a .mov file to Logic, it will give you the option to 'Extract the audio'. This will import the audio from the .mov file as an .aif with the specs of the session... Ie. 44.1, 48, etc.

It's by far the easiest and fastest solution.

Matt
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
yes all the audio is synced so it should be fairly easy once I convert it to audio.
I have compressor so i think i will use that

Thanks!
Ah. Just keep in mind, if you don't already know, that you'll be getting their level/effect/fade/etc settings 'baked' into it since it's basically output as a mixdown, even if it is separate tracks. Maybe they zeroed out all the level changes, stripped the settings and gave you handles in their edit, etc...but you could run into some issues where you can't undo what they did. But yeah any of these methods mentioned should work fine...just try to politely tell the clients that they have to do it right if there's a next time. Good luck.
Old 10th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_mattie View Post
Perhaps my option wasn't explained sufficiently.... When you add a .mov file to Logic, it will give you the option to 'Extract the audio'. This will import the audio from the .mov file as an .aif with the specs of the session... Ie. 44.1, 48, etc.

It's by far the easiest and fastest solution.

Matt
Thats what I ended up using and yes it was very easy!

thanks muchly!
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Thats what I ended up using and yes it was very easy!

thanks muchly!
Glad it worked out for you!

Matt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search