The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ok, silly moment... Condenser Microphones
Old 21st February 2012

ok, silly moment...

Here's a shot from a film called DEPTH CHARGE, the scene is set in the Engineering space of a Nuclear Sub... Specifically the control room for the Nuclear Reactor... Check out the rack of toys behind the navy guy that, in the film, operate the reactor...

I always new my gear was state of the art, but wow, I never knew it could have run a Nuke reactor!

cheers
geo
Old 21st February 2012

Here's the shot...
Attached Thumbnails
ok, silly moment...-snapshot-2012-02-21-16-51-08.jpg  
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Nut

Good thing they have so many jog-wheels, in case they need to restart the reactor...

On a side note - my father, who works at a nuclear plant, is one of the few who is not very impressed when entering my control room, since he's got more buttons and meters than me...

EDIT: spelling
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Meltdown?

Hit "Bypass", noob!
Old 21st February 2012
Gear nut

Decades from now, history will show that the unwarranted strike by allied forces which began World War Three was caused by a faulty sync generator.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Don't be going all nuclear on us Georgia.

I remember in Hunt for Red October the sonar operator had a Teac 3340 in his rack. You'd think it would at least be a Nagra.
Old 22nd February 2012
I wish I could remember the title of the low budget sci-fi film that featured a typical 70's era control room acting as the ship's bridge complete with a giant MCI (I think) console in the normal position, and another hanging from the ceiling. You just can't have too many knobs...
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

So that's where all the DA88s must have gone to die.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
remember the behringer gear in 2012?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...ie-2012-a.html

heheheh.
Funny stuff too...but as others have raised, it's not terribly surprising, as a machine room with racks full of audio gear could easily double for non-descript science-geeky stuff in a movie. From a production-designer's standpoint, why not? Especially the cheaper stuff from Behringer and Alesis, etc., the fact that most people won't recognize a rack preamp or compressor in the background as being something you use when making music, and the proliferation of large music chains these days with a return policy. The overall costs and resources are probably much less than building it all through your art department unless you're featuring them prominently in the story.

Admittedly, it irked me much more to see stuff like in that awful Showtime Hendrix move where they where playing Epiphones and Squiers, and I think through JCM 800's . Or a narrow-pannel tweed amp in 1955 in Back to the Future.
Old 22nd February 2012
My favourite silly gear in odd places pick...

Voila, courtesy of Bubbles...
Attached Images
File Type: png 2e3r6mv.png (296.4 KB, 158 views)
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

This is from "Contact" (1997) movie: go to 8'50"

Contact Part 7 of 10 - YouTube

There are 2 screenshots attached too...

I am sure, we all can name those devices

best,
Kuba
Attached Images
File Type: png Contact_1.png (185.9 KB, 119 views) File Type: png Contact_2.png (196.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

would you rather live near a reactor runing Logic or PT?
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search