Flux Elixir
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Flux Elixir

Has anyone used this? Comments?

Thanks!
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Two people who I really respect when I asked them about it said "buy it"!
That was good enough for me. The Flux Elixir is on my Christmas list.
Download a demo and see.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Download a demo and see.
I like the "3 stage" approach. Looks interesting. Thanks!
Old 28th November 2011
Actually 5 stages are available, but it becomes VERY processor heavy (and a lot of latency as well). Probably one of the most CPU intensive limiter plug-ins I've ever used, but it does sound REALLY GOOD! I've never heard a limiter as transparent as this. One problem I've found is that some multichannel formats aren't working in Pro Tools 10 (haven't tried it in PT9, and probably never will). For instance: Quad works, but there's no LCRS available, 7.0 doesn't work but 6.1 does, also 6.0 doesn't work, but 5.1 does. Go figure…
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

KK,
Chris Jacobson is one of the two people I told you about.
Trust him! I do everyday.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear
Only tried the demo, but noticed the high-resolution mode also increases CPU a lot, would be nice if it was as efficient as Massey L2007, but does sound a lot better. at €99 it's a bargain.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Only tried the demo, but noticed the high-resolution mode also increases CPU a lot, would be nice if it was as efficient as Massey L2007, but does sound a lot better. at €99 it's a bargain.
And it would be nice if a Bentley were as affordable as a Mercedes. No offense to Massey (I own, use and like all of his plugs).

I feel that Hi-Res is a must, but I'm not sure how many stages you need. 5 is nearly impossible as it's the largest CPU hog I've ever come across, but 1 is certainly acceptable, and 3 is manageable in most sessions.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Actually 5 stages are available, but it becomes VERY processor heavy (and a lot of latency as well). Probably one of the most CPU intensive limiter plug-ins I've ever used, but it does sound REALLY GOOD! I've never heard a limiter as transparent as this. One problem I've found is that some multichannel formats aren't working in Pro Tools 10 (haven't tried it in PT9, and probably never will). For instance: Quad works, but there's no LCRS available, 7.0 doesn't work but 6.1 does, also 6.0 doesn't work, but 5.1 does. Go figure…
Thanks for the analysis...good to know!
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good thread...thanks!
Old 29th November 2011
I've reported the bug/s to them and they said they're going to fix it int the next release.

Quote:
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Download a demo and see.
Be carefull my mate got burned with Flux.. Automation problems..
Old 29th November 2011
Yeah, I've heard that, though I haven't really used their stuff to really see it myself. I figured that the Elixir limiter is more of a set and forget tool, rather than something I'll automate much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
Be carefull my mate got burned with Flux.. Automation problems..
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that, though I haven't really used their stuff to really see it myself. I figured that the Elixir limiter is more of a set and forget tool, rather than something I'll automate much.
I've heard that automation works in this case, but beyond that why would I automate a final stage limiter? Yes, the option is there (and supposedly working) but that doesn't mean it's going to see a lot of use.
Old 29th November 2011
Yeah, exactly my point. I may even turn off automation completely on this limiter, as I don't really see the need for automating it except for maybe some specific sound design applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I've heard that automation works in this case, but beyond that why would I automate a final stage limiter? Yes, the option is there (and supposedly working) but that doesn't mean it's going to see a lot of use.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not only automation.. But my mate lost all his settings that weren't automated.. After closing and opening his session no plugins recalled and all the plugins went into default.

He now has $$$$$$ flux plugins he never uses.
Old 30th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ View Post
Not only automation.. But my mate lost all his settings that weren't automated.. After closing and opening his session no plugins recalled and all the plugins went into default.
They apparently released updates to a number of their plugins within the last week, and read/write/automation stuff seemed to be at the core of their fixes.

Haven't tried the new versions myself.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

related, free, but maybe not pro enough for you guys...
LoudMax (mac,pc)
http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_effects.../broadcast.zip (PC only)
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
related, free, but maybe not pro enough for you guys...
LoudMax (mac,pc)
http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_effects.../broadcast.zip (PC only)
Good for free, but people need True-peak limiters nowadays.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

what does that mean: True peak limiter?
sorry, I'm new here

Loudmax will pump when used wrong, but never distort, and an easier, helpful tool I've never found.
Broadcast gets weird but extremely usable.
I find both very usable. Maybe not a TRUE PEAK though?
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Head

I have been looking for a loudness meter plug-in (EBU128 compliant) and Elixir has caught my attention, but my question is: is it reasonable to use it as a (basic) meter, or, being a limiter, will this always affect the sound in some way ?

At this price point I have not found any other EBU128 meter, please someone correct me if I am missing something.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

DYNAMIC RANGE | pleasurize music!
kinda awkward to find the download now, but effective.
http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_other_a...ter%201_4a.zip
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, wwjd, but as far as I could see this is VST & PC only, I am running PT9 on an iMac.

Any input regarding the meter-only possibilities with Elixir?
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

The ToneBoosters TB Barricade plug-in (PC VST)TB Barricade
claims to..
"Last but not least, inter-sample peak (ISP) detection circuits that are in line with EBU R-128, ATSC A/85 and ITU-R 1770 allow to generate true-peak compliant audio signals."
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gato sapato View Post
Thanks, wwjd, but as far as I could see this is VST & PC only, I am running PT9 on an iMac.

Any input regarding the meter-only possibilities with Elixir?
ON the mac side:
Real-time audio spectrum analyzer plugin (AU, VST) - SPAN - Voxengo
Span is nice, but not sure if it is "True Peak" whatever that is, or EBU128, but does K system
Melda does mac:
MeldaProduction MAnalyzer, free audio effect
And my personal favorite cross platform is RND INSPECTOR:
Roger Nichols Digital Inspector – Audio Analysis Plugin - Kreativ Sounds
the meter on right is Peak, and the slim side meters are RMS
again not sure about "True Peak" or EBU128 compliance
so, sorry to run off topic here
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Here's a few docs that probably will be of interest in this discussion:

Terminology for loudness and level dBTP, LU, and all that
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/w...les/WHP202.pdf

EBU R128
http://tech.ebu.ch/webdav/site/tech/shared/r/r128.pdf

ITU-R BS.1770
http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/...7-S!!PDF-E.pdf

Cheers,
/Felix
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gato sapato View Post
I have been looking for a loudness meter plug-in (EBU128 compliant) and Elixir has caught my attention, but my question is: is it reasonable to use it as a (basic) meter, or, being a limiter, will this always affect the sound in some way ?

At this price point I have not found any other EBU128 meter, please someone correct me if I am missing something.
It doesn't give you the full feature set to do R128 metering to check the level of your mixes if that is what you are looking for. It just has a EBU128 compliant True Peak meter.

There is a freeware Win VST meter that does R128: KVR: Audiocation releases AC-R128 - Freeware VST Loudness Meter

Otherwise for Mac users I think NuGen VisLM is still the cheapest standalone R128 meter. Ozone 5 advanced also features a R128 meter. It works well but iZotope still need to fine-tune a few GUI things to make it practical for every day use. (But it works!).

I've been comparing the Elixir to the Ozone 5 limiter. At the moment I'm leaning on the side of Ozone but I need to do more testing.

Alistair
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It doesn't give you the full feature set to do R128 metering to check the level of your mixes if that is what you are looking for. It just has a EBU128 compliant True Peak meter.

There is a freeware Win VST meter that does R128: KVR: Audiocation releases AC-R128 - Freeware VST Loudness Meter

Otherwise for Mac users I think NuGen VisLM is still the cheapest standalone R128 meter. Ozone 5 advanced also features a R128 meter. It works well but iZotope still need to fine-tune a few GUI things to make it practical for every day use. (But it works!).

I've been comparing the Elixir to the Ozone 5 limiter. At the moment I'm leaning on the side of Ozone but I need to do more testing.

Alistair
Didn't think Ozone 5 was more than 2-channel?
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

I've been trying to work with this limiter, and while it is excellent in terms of being a transparent brick wall that you need in order to hit broadcast true peak specs, I am having too many issues due to the latency to be able to use it.

On my 8 core Harpertown HD6 system, with Eilxir on the FX stem, I have to set the HW buffer at minimum 1024 samples in order to avoid getting constant snits and snats. That makes the latency over 2600 samples, which is more than a frame delay. I can definitely see one frame of delay, so everything looks out of sync, and even at 1024 samples HW buffer, I still get the occasional anomaly. Until they come up with a DSP version that has reasonable latency, it is unusable for me. Too bad, because I could use a decent true peak limiter.

Using L1's to maintain a true peak of -3, I sometimes have to lower the threshold to -7 or -8 for gunshots and other big dynamic effects to compensate for overshoot, and that is too low - you hear the limiter too much, and backing off the source level sounds anemic. I need to find a solution, so if anyone has a good suggestion for a DSP based true peak limiter, I would appreciate a heads up.
Old 6th February 2012
Here for the gear

I would suggest trying the ML1 from McDSP. They currently have a TDM and RTAS version with AAX coming this year. I use it as a bus limiter and run it multi-mono.

ML4000

Tom Marks, CAS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search