The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Revibe automation problems...
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Revibe automation problems...

Hi! I have asked about this in another thread that was talking about reverb routing and so on but thought I'd open a thread for it specifically and hope that any other mixers out there that use Revibe TDM could give some word of advice.

I use Revibe TDM as my main reverb when mixing in surround but have one constant issue when snapshot automating reverb settings from one scene to the next. I often get some really annoying pops/clicks when the reverb snaps to a new setting. So far I work around this by temporarily muting/riding levels over the scene cuts to make sure the nasty noise isn't heard. However I wanted to know if there is any better way of approaching this and if this is an issue other Revibe users have had out there!

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

You need to run 2 verbs and a/b between them. Because reverb is so time sensitive you are probably always going to get pops when trying to do fast changes.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the advice! I've received similar advice from other sources so will definitely be doing so in the future. For now I have managed to get around it by automating a short mute/volume dropout to avoid any possible pops... It wouldn't be popping all the time but in some cuts it would when there was some content playing into it right near the cut.

I have several reverbs in the session with two for outdoors (slap and short reverb), a long reverb for special sound design elements, a hall/club reverb for some source music and various other elements and a surround reverb for atmos. Then I have a reverb for the ADR purely for matching to production sound and then had one reverb as my generic location reverb which I was receiving dialogue, ADR, foley and some FX. This is the only reverb I was automating on a scene by scene basis...so all should be solved by simply adding another one like it to "checkerboard" the scenes...

Thanks again for the input! Would be cool to just glide from one setting to another instead of a clear snap....would save on some precious DSP :P

Enos
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enos View Post
Thanks again for the input! Would be cool to just glide from one setting to another instead of a clear snap....would save on some precious DSP :P

Enos
Pro Tools HD has the ability to glide between automation states.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Pro Tools HD has the ability to glide between automation states.
Really?!

If I automate a preset change I can get protools to slide all of the prameters to the new state over an amount of time? I need to look into this.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Really?!

If I automate a preset change I can get protools to slide all of the prameters to the new state over an amount of time? I need to look into this.
Preferences, under the mixing tab
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFrequency View Post
Preferences, under the mixing tab
Tomorrow will be cool
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Wow! Nice stuff...Yea...had heard of/read of gliding automation but never used it yet...Probably the way to go then! I will check it out today! Might be a good solution!

One often gets pops/clicks with snapped volume changes on region boundaries too. How are you generally working around this? Just starting the volume snap earlier than the region start? Gliding for this too perhaps?
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Depending on the show, and what else is going on, if I still get pops even with gliding (it happens...), I may "creatively use the reverb's volume or send automation" and dip to cover.

Jeff
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enos View Post
One often gets pops/clicks with snapped volume changes on region boundaries too. How are you generally working around this? Just starting the volume snap earlier than the region start? Gliding for this too perhaps?
Only volume is almost sample accurate, all other parameters, pans, eqs etc. are NOT. I always write automation at least a second earlier and later around the regions.

When automating reverb I always write a manual glide between the changes. My preferred way of doing this is: selecting a plug-in parameter (with ctrl cmd click on any parameter in the plugin window), selecting a region 1 fr ahead and after the cut, under "Edit" select edit special: cut plug-in parameter - done.
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for those tips Matthias! Will put them to practice this week as I'm mixing a feature! Just saw you mixed on Run Lola Run! One of my favourite films! Nice work

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search