The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo to Mono adapter question Headphone Amps
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Stereo to Mono adapter question

This is a super-simple question for the right person. I just wanted to get another opinion before placing my order.

One of the Producers that I frequently work with is deaf in one ear and is looking for an adapter that will sum stereo headphones (3.5mm) into mono in both ears. What is the simplest way to do this?

Seems like I need a male 3.5 TRS to female 3.5 TS. I just want to make sure I'm not just getting left or right, but rather a summed stereo.

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah...If you have a 3.5mm end on your headphones, you want this:

3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Mono Female Adapter - Cables To Go
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

splitting a signal to a pair of inputs is OK, combining a pair of outputs isn't - transistors aren't happy with another transistor trying to cram their signal up it's output. unless you know the particulars of the headphone amp circuit, you're better off making a summing network in a small project box:
Why Not Wye?
your circuit will resemble fig.2, except that your output jack will be trs, with both t & r coming from the node common to all resistors.
The values shown are for line-level circuits - you may want to push the 470's up or down to better match your headphone driver impedance, and use resistors @ double the wattage rating of your amp outputs.

This is easier:
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/head.../default/hb1xl
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

I have been looking if such a thing exists and I cant find the one I am looking for....

I have a tuner with a cassette player hooked up (double cassette player) and I only have 1 speaker so the sound would not be good in stereo.... (I really prefer MONO anyway)

Are there any stereo to mono adapters for a cassette deck (A pioneer) that hooks into a sony tuner?? (Its got standard cables for left and right channels)
Old 17th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I have been looking if such a thing exists and I cant find the one I am looking for....

I have a tuner with a cassette player hooked up (double cassette player) and I only have 1 speaker so the sound would not be good in stereo.... (I really prefer MONO anyway)

Are there any stereo to mono adapters for a cassette deck (A pioneer) that hooks into a sony tuner?? (Its got standard cables for left and right channels)
See PreSonus HP4 | Sweetwater.com

Mono button bottom left. It sounds GREAT!
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Addict

Thank you,I imagine it does sound good!!

I always wonder WHY they dont have a MONO button on these recievers to put WHATEVER IS COMING IN in Mono if you want!!

Some do have a mono switch BUT ONLY FOR FM RADIO,its stupid!!

Thanx bud!
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

I got a Y ADAPTER today for my cassette deck!! (I was @ this record store and the guy who owns it (Who is a friend) gave me one! (2 males to 1 male))

http://www.parts-express.com/rca-y-a...-male--240-129

Works excellent,SOUNDS SUPER!!!!!!!!

Now I can listen to my analogue music in mono (Well my cassettes anyway)
Old 26th May 2015
Here for the gear

thats what you are looking for

hey,

maybe i'm quite late but here's the thing you want. just bring L/R together is not the best idea - not reel mono...

MONACOR INTERNATIONAL : New products

don't know if you can get that in the us.

cheers
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Why not just send him a summed mono signal from your DAW?
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Why Not Wye?
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpgear
maybe i'm quite late but here's the thing you want. just bring L/R together is not the best idea - not reel mono...
Well if the recording was done right,IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!

My cassettes and 8 tracks all sound super in MONO!! (Well the 8 tracks that were done right do)
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I always wonder WHY they dont have a MONO button on these recievers to put WHATEVER IS COMING IN in Mono if you want!!

Some do have a mono switch BUT ONLY FOR FM RADIO,its stupid!!
Something is only stupid if you don't understand it.

The reason why most things don't have a mono switch is the majority of people have two working ears. But in this situation the person the OP mentioned only has one working ear. Another reason is if you have a PA situation (like a school or mall) so it's set up so that every speaker plays the same sound.

As for why FM radio has a mono switch, FM started out as mono and the system for FM stereo designed over 40 years ago actually weakens the signal and causes varying amounts of noise in radios, even under ideal situations. So the idea is when you're on your favourite station and it's noisy you can hit the FM-Mono switch to cut the noise level.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search