The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Convert sample rate of production recordings for post?
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Convert sample rate of production recordings for post?

Hi,

I've received the production audio for a series of web videos that I'll be doing the sound post for, and it has all been recorded at 44.1k.

My first reaction was to think that I should batch convert all of the audio to 48k before starting the edit, however given that the final output will be for use on the web, should I just leave the files as-is and set up my PT sessions at 44.1k?

I can foresee that there'll be a fair amount of cleanup involved, with RX etc, so I'm interested in retaining the production audio at the best quality possible - but am i just splitting hairs worrying about a 44.1k-48k upconversion?

As a side note, if I do end up batch converting the production audio, does anyone have experience with relinking to converted audio files in FCP?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

I don't think converting to 48 Khz will make noise reduction any better.

If you really need a 48 Khz master, why not just convert the final mix and save yourself a lot of time and hassle!

Alistair
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I don't think converting to 48 Khz will make noise reduction any better.

If you really need a 48 Khz master, why not just convert the final mix and save yourself a lot of time and hassle!

Alistair
Hi, thanks for the response. I'd agree that upconversion probably wouldn't help the noise reduction process - was more wondering about the reverse - if it would be detrimental at all compared to working with the original files?

I have two reasons for considering converting the production audio
1. The guide audio track from the camera is at 48k, so OMF export from FCP will be simpler if all audio is at the same sample rate.
2. Any additional SFX/BG or music that I add to the mix will be coming in at 48k.

Still, if working at 44.1k is smarter, I can always convert the final mix, as you say!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovenz View Post
Hi, thanks for the response. I'd agree that upconversion probably wouldn't help the noise reduction process - was more wondering about the reverse - if it would be detrimental at all compared to working with the original files?

I have two reasons for considering converting the production audio
1. The guide audio track from the camera is at 48k, so OMF export from FCP will be simpler if all audio is at the same sample rate.
2. Any additional SFX/BG or music that I add to the mix will be coming in at 48k.

Still, if working at 44.1k is smarter, I can always convert the final mix, as you say!
If you have to pull in audio from other sources (archival, SFX library, library music, music from composer) all that stuff is likely to be 48k. If it was me I'd convert the OMF to 48k and move on...

phil p
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Audio for web final?
convert away...

-my two cents

(if it were me, I'd convert the lesser amount of files/departments--so yes if location sound was 44.1 [sorry---head scratcher...], that gets the thumb)

Jeff
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks all, for the help.

The mixes will be primarily production audio, so sounds like I may as well set up my mix session running at 44.1k.

FWIW I haven't encountered the sync issues I've read about when exporting mixed sample rates to OMF from FCP, so turns out I don't need to worry about external batch conversions after all..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search