The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3rd Party Sources...Should I Compress Them?
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

3rd Party Sources...Should I Compress Them?

I'll be doing video projects soon where the end result will be posted to the web (YouTube, Vimo, etc).

I'm taking great pains to ensure the VO is compressed so the peaks are even and I can utilize the available headroom properly.

However, the show will have an intro and a logo sting at the end. Each piece of footage has audio loops that were purchased from the Envato Marketplace (a community for audio professionals to sell their work).

My question is this:

I'll be using my audio program to uniformly bring all the audio sources to the same level of "perceived loudness" (my intro music, the actual show featuring the vocal track I have already mixed and the tag/logo sting at the end).

However, should I take these 3rd party audio sources at the beginning and the end into my audio program and compress them first to even out the dynamics to ensure everything is even? My program says it accounts for "perceived loudness" when evening out the levels.

I just want everything to sound as if it were mixed all together, in the same session, and not three different sources...as it actually is.

Thnx!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGroove64 View Post
I'll be doing video projects soon where the end result will be posted to the web (YouTube, Vimo, etc).

I'm taking great pains to ensure the VO is compressed so the peaks are even and I can utilize the available headroom properly.

However, the show will have an intro and a logo sting at the end. Each piece of footage has audio loops that were purchased from the Envato Marketplace (a community for audio professionals to sell their work).

My question is this:

I'll be using my audio program to uniformly bring all the audio sources to the same level of "perceived loudness" (my intro music, the actual show featuring the vocal track I have already mixed and the tag/logo sting at the end).

However, should I take these 3rd party audio sources at the beginning and the end into my audio program and compress them first to even out the dynamics to ensure everything is even? My program says it accounts for "perceived loudness" when evening out the levels.

I just want everything to sound as if it were mixed all together, in the same session, and not three different sources...as it actually is.

Thnx!
What program is that? If you are mixing and delivering the whole package then yes you should make all the pieces work together level-wise. I mean, that's kind of your job, isn't it?

phil p

phil p
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

The app is Adobe Soundbooth...and this is a personal project.

The reason I ask is that I assume the artist mixed it during his final stages before uploading, and compression was no doubt part of it. Would I not just be going back over and redoing his work needlessly?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
However, should I take these 3rd party audio sources at the beginning and the end into my audio program and compress them first to even out the dynamics to ensure everything is even?
We can't answer this question. You have to listen and decide if those pieces need compression or not. Obviously if they have already been compressed to death you don't want to compress them any more. Likewise if they have had no processing whatsoever and don't sound right with your material you will have to deal with it.

I think the best is to forget what source they are and just listen and decide what to do based on what you hear.

Alistair
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
The reason I ask is that I assume the artist mixed it during his final stages before uploading, and compression was no doubt part of it. Would I not just be going back over and redoing his work needlessly?
See my previous post. Don't assume anything, just listen. :-) Even if it has been compressed before, you might want a more compressed sound to fit with your material. So don't think too much about the provenance, just use your ears and personal taste. Try some compression and if you feel it sounds better, use it. If you feel it sounds worse, take off the compression...

Alistair
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Don't assume anything, just listen. :-)
I second UnderTow's comments. Use your ears and your creative judgement. Mixing is more than just making sure every element plays at an identical 'perceived loudness' level. Things should sound like they fit together and play well together, not like they were just normalized together. Find the balance in everything, don't just shoot for a number and let that be the end-all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search