The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a Talk Back solution. Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Looking for a Talk Back solution.

I'll be recording voice over's with a friend and we are using a make shift room that has an isolation booth and we are looking for a talk back system that will allow us to have at least 2 talk back buttons to talk to the talent during sessions. As of now there are 3 of us in the room listening back to the recordings on headphones which doesn't seem ideal, and we have to keep asking the person recording to turn up a fader on our mixer so we can use a patched in SM58 every time we need to talk to the talent. I'm not familiar with talk back systems and was looking for suggestions in all price ranges. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Since you're using a dynamic, you could make a box with a relay inside that shorts pins 2 & 3 while at rest, and use 3 normally-open switches in parallel with the relay coil....any of the methods mentioned in the link below will work with paralleled normally-open switches, however, the premade boxes will require mods to allow you to add switches 2 & 3.

Wiring advice for momentary talkback footswitch

you could probably e-bay a few mics like the shure 450 series II if you have the input channels - additionally, these will allow you to communicate directly with a taxicab.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I made a little black box that has a couple stick-ons from RDL: high-quality audio, video and control modules
One is a mic pre and another is a relay, so when I close a contact switch (in my case, a foot pedal) it opens up the mic. It was pretty simple to build.

There are also a ton of options that you can buy off the shelf. Control Room Speaker/Talkback Controllers Switchers/Routers/Combiners/Source Selectors Audio & Sound Equipment from Full Compass

-Richard
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I made a little black box that has a couple stick-ons from RDL: high-quality audio, video and control modules
One is a mic pre and another is a relay, so when I close a contact switch (in my case, a foot pedal) it opens up the mic. It was pretty simple to build.

There are also a ton of options that you can buy off the shelf. Control Room Speaker/Talkback Controllers Switchers/Routers/Combiners/Source Selectors Audio & Sound Equipment from Full Compass

-Richard
Me too--works well. RDL stuff is great.

phil p
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

If you are using Protools get this plug in

Source Elements / Source-Talkback

I have it rigged up with a few wireless mice programmed for the "\" key and it works beautifully
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search