The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need recommendations on a VO Chain Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need recommendations on a VO Chain

I'm setting up a VO chain using a U87 which I have already and I'm interested in your recommendations for a MicPre and Compressor or a combo unit. Any recommendations is appreciated.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
I've been getting great results from my Portico 5015. Nice clean, but full tone and a super transparent compressor thats easy to set up. It's also small enough to travel with if necessary.

Rupert Neve Designs – Portico 5015 – Mic Pre / Compressor
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mike-E
Empirical Labs
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

We use TLM49, Peluso 22 251, AT4050>API's The Channel Strip>Distressor

hope this helps

kjb
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

For transparency, I use my Buzz Audio MA-2.2 and either no compressor or an Aphex 661. When I want mojo and size (most of the time) I use my Aurora Audio GTQC, which is a full channel strip. And a killer one at that.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Any thoughts on the Avalon 737? Does anyone have suggestions on a more budget friendly solution. I'm exploring all options at the moment so thanks for your suggestions.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
Any thoughts on the Avalon 737? Does anyone have suggestions on a more budget friendly solution. I'm exploring all options at the moment so thanks for your suggestions.
Safe Sound P1

Either that or dig up an old Focusrite Green series strip. They can be found very cheap, and will work well. I think I still have one if you're at all interested.

The Avalon is fine. I'm not a huge fan of the compressor, but the pre and eq are good. I've used one to record many VO's for TV shows I've mixed, and no one has complained, but me. Definitely not on the cheap.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
Neat sound, but a tad noisy. Depends where your VO is going to end up in. For audio books, I wouldn't really recommend it.

I certainly like the old Green range preamps of Focusrite. I used them to record thousands of lines with mics like the AKG414, MKH40 and Neumann CMV567(M7 capsule). Great little unit.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head
Focusrite One - cheap flexible and sounds great (same bits and bobs as red series) and the ability to change input impedance is a a great way of altering character.

Otherwise John Hardy if you have more £

Ps flog your u87 and get a Lawson
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

x2 on the Hardy M1 and I'll add a Purple MC77.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not the first time I hear about Hardy being great. The prices are fine.

Is it just neutral clean ? I prefer that actually.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head
NO it has some soul - not ultra clean and pristine like a Grace

I settled with a Focusrite ISA One and Mojave MA201 - and people often comment positively on my VO sound.

For TV post VO - this is a great set up. Low noise and rich - but versatile. Great sound per pound. Especially when combined with Sonnox dynamcs!

The extra £ I saved went on a Cedar DNS ONE instead
Old 19th May 2013
Here for the gear

Someone mentioned the Portico - it's great. I have a Portico 5015 in mint condition I'm going to sell if anyone wants to buy one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search