The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1032s for surround mixing Studio Monitors
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

1032s for surround mixing

Hello! I've been using Genelec 1032s for 12 years and have become accustomed to mixing music with them. Not everyone's favorite but they do the job for me. I'm looking to expand to surround (music mixing only) and I'm wondering if anyone has any positive or negative experiences they'd be willing to share regarding 1032s in a 5.1 environment. I'm on a budget so my other consideration would be trying out something smaller that would cost close to the three 1032s and 7070a sub (it's a small room).

In my case, the final user is primarily broadcast.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks!

Ag
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM View Post
Hello! I've been using Genelec 1032s for 12 years and have become accustomed to mixing music with them. Not everyone's favorite but they do the job for me. I'm looking to expand to surround (music mixing only) and I'm wondering if anyone has any positive or negative experiences they'd be willing to share regarding 1032s in a 5.1 environment. I'm on a budget so my other consideration would be trying out something smaller that would cost close to the three 1032s and 7070a sub (it's a small room).

In my case, the final user is primarily broadcast.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks!

Ag
I have 1032's all the way around. The set-up is very balanced. If you go this way you'll be happy. My issue is room ergonomics and dealing with the substantial size of 1032's used as surrounds. Clients and VO talent need to be very careful when walking down a ramp that passes by my Right Rear Speaker. It's really a miracle I haven't had to replace the woofer from someone putting their head through it. I've often thought a smaller surround speaker would sound fine and be less hassle.

FWIW - I've had Genelec reps claim to me that all their speakers are designed to have the same "sound". Meaning you could safely match a smaller Genelec with a bigger one in a surround set-up.

PS - The Genelec sub's built-in Bass Management is a nice and convenient feature.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks Nathan. I'm already part way there with the stereo set (and I'm comfortable mixing on them) so it seems like a safe transition for me to make.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's kind of a waste to use 1032As for surrounds. 8050As or even 8040As are plenty robust for surrounds, especially if you are using bass management, plus they will be a lot easier to mount.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks. Good advice. It would be great to save a bit there. I've also had the HT 208s recommended as a good match for the 1032s. Crazy talk?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search