The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Dynamic Drive Pool users in LA?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any Dynamic Drive Pool users in LA?

I am looking into different Pro Tools SAN solutions and one that sounds interesting is Dynamic Drive Pool. Is anyone using DDP for post production sound in the Los Angeles area, and if so what is your experience? I am specifically concerned about support, but also about track counts when working with DV25 and DVCproHD.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Based on the lack of reponse, I'm moving DDP off my list of serious contenders. Doesn't appear to be a large enough user base here in SoCal to inspire confidence. I'm leaning towards Facilis Terrablock or SNS EVO.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Our 7 audio studios and 5 video sets are connected to a Rorke Data SAN with Fibrejet software. This works great (read: very reliable! And very easy to maintain) but is limited to volume sharing (one write / many read). The SNS solutions are comparable. The studio across the street is using it, and I have never heard anyone complaining.

The studio I used to work bought Terrablock after I left. I heard that in the beginning there were some problems. (The video side worked fine but there were some problems with the sharing of Pro Tools sessions, but now they have 2). With the latest version and PT 9 it seems possible to have a true file sharing SAN. It locks the Pro Tools session that one computer has opened.

If we would invest in a new SAN, We'd try the Terrablocks first. At the IBC they offered to drop a unit at our place to testdrive, I am sure you can find a representative near you that will do the same thing.

DDP works more or less the same, however I have heard some horror stories from a former collegue who has worked with it.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Geert, I've had a couple of conversations with Facilis and they also say that Terrablock can do file level sharing with PT9 as well. i haven't heard FiberJet or SNS make that claim, but it may be possible with them as well. Volume level sharing isn't quite as convenient, but it sure beats sneakernet.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Only Facilis and DDP do filesharing with Pro Tools.

I agree that filesharing is way more convenient, how many computers do you want to connect and what will be their role? We manage to do quite a lot of collaborating with our volume sharing system, but we also have to merge pro tools sesisions in the evening. But luckily that's quite easy to do with pro tools. We never copy large sessions. Only the freshly recorded audio. We have quite a streamlined workflow for this.

Basically SNS also sort of mention filesharing on their website but it's not true, unless they changed something recently. It's still volume sharing. Their hardware can do filesharing just not with Pro Tools. Or it can but then it's via Ethernet while pro tools is running via fibrechannel in volume write mode.

However I think SNS offers a great solution. What we've running is a bit an old configuration. We record to a JBOD, which is back upped to a RAID every evening. I think that with SNS it is at least possible to record to a RAID directly.

On our system we can access the RAID's (we have 3 units) from the pro tools workstations but playing PT sessions of those isn't working. It immediately gives a DAE-36 error. We have video playing from the RAID's though from within the Pro Tools sessions.

The reason that Facilis works is because it is emulating an Avid ISIS 7000, which of course plays nice with Pro Tools.

Either way you won't regret going with Facilis or SNS. The SAN has been the best investment that has been made in our company IMHO. And your video requirements don't seem very high. Both systems will cope with that easily.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search