The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Radio Broadcast Levels? Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th April 2018
  #61
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
[I]In my experience, the cleaner it sounds in your studio, the cleaner it'll sound after Omnia*.
That's the issue I have with the Sennheiser 416 for VO. Guys like how they sound on them, but they're very spiky and not terribly clean, and station processors can make them sound small.

The waveforms of SM7's and RE20's, on the other hand, are relatively un-spiky and make it all the way to air sounding fatter.

But what we know and what they want are two different things, so 416 it is. :-)
Old 29th April 2018
  #62
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Here's my .02 worth after having mixed well over 50,000 commercials for radio over the past 40 years, both in house at radio stations and in a variety of studios, including private ad agency studios... all the extra dynamics you add before sending it will not make it louder on air. For maximum loudness don't add extra compression to the final mix on your end, but do EQ it mid heavy, normalize the track, and send it through a maximizer plug in.
The broadcast facility, no matter who they are, will compress the snot out of it with their Optimod or equivalent which sets the overall on air volume level. But your mix can be perceived to be louder with good Mid based EQ, normalizing, and maximizing.
Old 29th April 2018
  #63
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
... all the extra dynamics you add before sending it will not make it louder on air.
Actually, the one thing you can do to make it louder on air is leave the music out.
Old 13th February 2019
  #64
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Here's my .02 worth after having mixed well over 50,000 commercials for radio over the past 40 years, both in house at radio stations and in a variety of studios, including private ad agency studios... all the extra dynamics you add before sending it will not make it louder on air. For maximum loudness don't add extra compression to the final mix on your end, but do EQ it mid heavy, normalize the track, and send it through a maximizer plug in.
The broadcast facility, no matter who they are, will compress the snot out of it with their Optimod or equivalent which sets the overall on air volume level. But your mix can be perceived to be louder with good Mid based EQ, normalizing, and maximizing.
Wow, that's a lot of commercials! Assuming a 5 day work week, there are a little over 10,000 work days in 40 years. You mixed almost 5 commercials per day?!

*** EDIT: Oops, sorry. Forgot I was reading an old thread. Didn't mean to necro-post.

Last edited by Ebeowulf17; 13th February 2019 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: noticed age of thread
Old 3rd March 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeowulf17 View Post
Wow, that's a lot of commercials! Assuming a 5 day work week, there are a little over 10,000 work days in 40 years. You mixed almost 5 commercials per day?!
yes, it is...you'd be surprised how much product a busy production studio can crank out in a day. especially if they have a seasoned, fast team who know the software and production libraries.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #66
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeowulf17 View Post
Wow, that's a lot of commercials! Assuming a 5 day work week, there are a little over 10,000 work days in 40 years. You mixed almost 5 commercials per day?!
If they're simple spots, that's no big deal.

If you're working on a complicated, sound-design-heavy spot for an ad agency with a zillion opinions and layers of approval, it's not unusual to mix (and re-edit) the very same spot 5 times in a day. In the ancient times they'd be sitting there on the couch right behind you; now it's email and/or ftp and you're on a tight leash until they get back to you with notes.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #67
Gear Addict
 

All respect to you guys! I'm glad I don't have to work at that pace. Sounds intense!
Old 3rd March 2019
  #68
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeowulf17 View Post
All respect to you guys! I'm glad I don't have to work at that pace. Sounds intense!
At times it was crazy but with the entire First Com library and just about every sfx library available at my disposal it didn't take long to knock out a run of the mill radio spot. You have to have your production elements libraries memorized for instant access with limited search time, get in the zone and stay in it, become a production 'machine', and just get it done.

I thought the work pace was fast when I was working on an Otari 16 trk tape deck. But things got really fast when we went to Pro Tools in '95. All I can say is that kind of 'in the trenches' on the job training prepares you for anything, especially the slow days when you have the luxury to really get creative and work on something more challenging.

There were times when we spent all day on just one spot that involved sound design, original sfx, custom music, etc. But often it was slam bang theater when all clients were active with new creative and on air delivery deadlines were approaching.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #69
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
I thought the work pace was fast when I was working on an Otari 16 trk tape deck. But things got really fast when we went to Pro Tools in '95.
The thing for me that really amped it up in a bad way was that with DAWs you never had to time anything. With analog tape you'd do your first build and then play it down and time it. So you'd get a little 60-second vacation.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump