The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Scene... new track? (PT9)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

New Scene... new track? (PT9)

Sup Slutz,
I have an inquiry regarding those of you who use protools to do your post... About a week ago I started working on a dialog premix for a low budget feature film. Now my job has consisted of cleaning up the Boom track (noise reduction, eq, compression ext) if it needs it and then blending in the ADR.

Seeing as every scene is either recorded in a different space or has different room artifacts or whatever I just create new boom tracks for ever scene so as to effect them accordingly... Is this incorrect? In a perfect world it would be super awesome to have some sort of function that allowed me to simply wipe the track clean of plugins at a certain point so as the make room for the new ones?... is this a function in protools? Any other mixing tips that will keep the clutter out of the session would also be appreciated!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hi coca,

In the post world, it's all about automation. on a typical dialog predub, a dialog mixer is fed somewhere between 8 to 16 dialog tracks, and 4 to 12 pfx tracks. The mixer then automates each sound accordingly. The dialog editor (you did edit the tracks, right?) will have split the tracks for each scene up by mic type and angle, (lav 1, lav2, boom etc, Close up Char 1, char 2, 2 shot... etc) so that each fader represents a specific type of sound.

and please, i'm sure you know this, don't associate music with anything to do with dialog mixing. they are two very different things. much less, if any compression, eq to make things sound natural, and to match the afore mentioned mics and angles, reverb if necessary. don't get to fancy.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
nIn the post world, it's all about automation.
Ok I get you, but here is how I like to work...
For example I have a scene here that requires a fair bit of tinkering. First I notice that the areas inbetween speaking have just a little too much background sound so I add just a touch of expansion. Second I will set the gain to something respectable (between -25 and -18 dB). Then add some EQ to remove this low huming I was getting in the background so I end up putting a cut at like Hz 100ish... Then fine tune to get as much of the room out of it as I can. ext ext

So when the next scene comes up and I need the EQ to do something totally different I should just automate it from the get go? For me it would be nice to get some settings that favor the track as a whole before automation instead of just automating from the get go. Does that make sense or is that the way it should be?
Old 9th September 2011

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search