The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5.1 mixing with lm-100 DAW Software
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

5.1 mixing with lm-100

Hello. I'd like to know the proper way to monitor a 5.1 mix with the lm-100. I have an Rme ufx, so it's easy to rout all 6 channels to the aes input on the lm100. Should I be concerned with how the channels sum before sending them to the dolby box? Ie, 3db down on the center and rear surrounds , or just send them all at unity gain? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Anyone? Is it a secret?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The proper way would be to encode the 5.1 into a Dolby-E stream, not feeding it a stereo downmix from the DAW.
Cheers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ok thanks for that. Looking into encoders has been on the list.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

When mixing with the LM-100 before I would send the center channel into the AES input. You have to go into the menu and tell the LM-100 that you are sending just one channel instead of two. We have long since abandoned the LM-100 in favor of the Dolby Software meter.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppen View Post
Hello. I'd like to know the proper way to monitor a 5.1 mix with the lm-100. I have an Rme ufx, so it's easy to rout all 6 channels to the aes input on the lm100. Should I be concerned with how the channels sum before sending them to the dolby box? Ie, 3db down on the center and rear surrounds , or just send them all at unity gain? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks Randall. So your 5.1 mixes were passing broadcast qc when you were monitoring dialnorm off just the center channel? What's so great about the software that would make me pitch a $3000 investment? Thanks,
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

In my case they were passing QC yes - this was with both NatGeo and Discovery.

I use the Dolby Software meter in two ways: 1st I have it up on an Aux in Pro Tools during the mix, so I can tell where I am at any time - just like the LM-100. After the mix and print out, I can verify levels faster than reel time. Some of my clients have asked for measurements for each Act break. Now I can select the whole 5.1 for act 1(as an example) verify loudness in LKFS and DialNorm as well as output a spreadsheet that shows that what I am delivering is correct. I usually send this spreadsheet along to the client in an email when I deliver the tapes or the files. I understand that the LM-100 can do that as well, the DMM is just faster and more configurable - especially ver 2.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppen View Post
Thanks Randall. So your 5.1 mixes were passing broadcast qc when you were monitoring dialnorm off just the center channel? What's so great about the software that would make me pitch a $3000 investment? Thanks,
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Cool, thanks for the great info.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

New update for LM100 available now!

phil p
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

I just got the email from dolby tech support
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
The proper way would be to encode the 5.1 into a Dolby-E stream, not feeding it a stereo downmix from the DAW.
Cheers

some broadcasters are measuring the fold-down of the 5.1 a well as the 5.1 itself.
and with a wierd foldwon technique. like no lfe.
and both have to pass.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

That sounds like ltrt no? I wonder if many qc folks are only setup to look at srereo material.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search