The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Project? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

DIY Project?

I'm investigating parabolic reflectors for field recording but some of the commercially available ones cost plenty $$$ - so was wondering about making my own. Has anyone managed this? - I was thinking about a small sat dish on a camera tripod or maybe a wok on three chopsticks if money's low.

Also most articles I read recommend using an omni at the focal point - wouldn't a card or hypercard would be better ?

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've thought about this too. There is someone selling parabolic dishes on Ebay every now and then that are made of the same plastic for less than the commercial ones. You'd need to make your own mic mount though. They also sell the whole parabola/mic mount combo-- still cheaper than a Telinga, but maybe not worth the difference in price.

I think a sat dish might be heavy and the focal point might be too far out, but if you have one sitting around, it might be worth experimenting. A wok probably isn't truly parabolic, but you could test it with a laser if the surface is reflective enough. If it's a really parabolic, no matter where you point the laser at the surface, the reflection will travel through a single point. Figure out where that common point is, and that's your focal point.

I would use an omni mic because you want to capture the sound from all around the mic, particularly from the sides, now that the parabola is bouncing sound from the sides towards the focal point. If you use a cardioid, much of what your mic will be picking up is coming from off axis-- coloring the sound.

-Richard
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks Richard.

Good idea about the laser, though initially I was thinking you meant one of these:

DO YOU EXPECT ME TO TALK? - YouTube

I'll try the low power version
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezahp View Post
I'm investigating parabolic reflectors for field recording but some of the commercially available ones cost plenty $$$ - so was wondering about making my own. Has anyone managed this? - I was thinking about a small sat dish on a camera tripod or maybe a wok on three chopsticks if money's low.

Also most articles I read recommend using an omni at the focal point - wouldn't a card or hypercard would be better ?
i have seen it done
old popular electronics magazine
used a kids sled or somesuch
worked so so but was cheap

sat dish would be much better

mike angle should see the entire dish
so the focal length of the dish will matter.

if the mike sees too much then put a baffle around the edge to help block sound from the sides.
if it sees too little then you could use a smaller dish.
or get a different mike.

if you use an omi and put another reflector behind it that might help a little but not as good as properly angled mike aimed at reflector

you might try a corner reflector
they are easy to build and very efficient
though not as directional
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I've thought about this too. There is someone selling parabolic dishes on Ebay every now and then that are made of the same plastic for less than the commercial ones. You'd need to make your own mic mount though. They also sell the whole parabola/mic mount combo-- still cheaper than a Telinga, but maybe not worth the difference in price.

I think a sat dish might be heavy and the focal point might be too far out, but if you have one sitting around, it might be worth experimenting. A wok probably isn't truly parabolic, but you could test it with a laser if the surface is reflective enough. If it's a really parabolic, no matter where you point the laser at the surface, the reflection will travel through a single point. Figure out where that common point is, and that's your focal point.

I would use an omni mic because you want to capture the sound from all around the mic, particularly from the sides, now that the parabola is bouncing sound from the sides towards the focal point. If you use a cardioid, much of what your mic will be picking up is coming from off axis-- coloring the sound.

-Richard
i dont think so

the parabola is to get rid of sounds from teh side and focus on a distant source. any other pick up is noise that would tend to hide the signal.

he needs a mike that picks up the entire parabola and is nulled on the sides and back so as to focus all the signal on the mike without any distracting noise.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

3 words: charcoal grill lid....

;-)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search