The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Distribution Deliverables Question
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Distribution Deliverables Question

Hello all,

Recently a film I did a stereo mix for brought back my way as they need to hit a deliverables spec for distribution. Because a lot of the film has sfx on the dialogue track I realize that to produce a "fully filled" M&E I will have to do some serious foley work. All the specs seem fairly straightforward... 5.1 discreet mix, LtRt mix, 5.1 M&E, stereo M&E, LtRt M&E, and DME or Stems. This is my understanding of them anyway. My questions are:

-Do they need both a stereo M&E and an LtRt M&E?

-What is a "stereo DME feature", and stems in place of that should be fine right?

Lastly,

-They mention "Printmaster" a few times on this spec. But since i believe it is for video distribution, and they dont mention an MO. Does this mean I would need to run my 5.1 and LtRt through an SR unit?

I apologize in advance if some of this stuff is obvious, I have been searching around for a bit for the answers without a ton of luck, and I figured some of you out there must deal with this every day. Most of my work is either sound design, or mixing for commercials where I dont see this type of thing that often. Any help you could offer would be tremendously helpful. My client is looking for a cost for this asap, and I need to better understand what is involved.

Here are the specs:

1. 6 track (5.1) & 2-Track Printmaster Feature: One (1) 6-track + 2 track printmaster recorded as WAV or AIFF files on DVD with the following audio configuration: 1) left; 2) right; 3) center; 4) sub; 5) left surround; 6) right surround; 7) LT; 8) RT. Other formats must be approved in writing by Distributor’s Feature Post Production Department.

2. Audio on HDCam tape should be configured as follows: Track 1) and 2) LT/RT mix; 3) and 4) M&E mix; tracks 5-10) 5.1 printmaster configured as 5) left; 6) right; 7) center; 8) sub; 9) left surround; 10) right surround.

3. Stereo DME Feature: One (1) mono/stereo master with separate dialogue, music and effects tracks delivered as WAV or AIFF files on DVD. Record in the following format: 6-track – 1) dialogue; 2) and 3) left/right stereo music; 4) and 5) left/right effects; 6) additional vocal effects and music (e.g., laughs, giggles, coughs, sneezes, burps, snorts, screams on screen, lyrics performed by cast, foreign dialogue, etc.). If the DME is not available, then II.B.4 (stems) must be delivered.

*3. 6 track (5.1) & 2-Track M&E Feature: One (1) 6-track + 2 track M&E recorded as WAV or AIFF files on DVD with the following audio configuration: 1) left; 2) right; 3) center; 4) sub; 5) left surround; 6) right surround; 7) LT; 8) RT. This element must contain fully filled sound effects (including those recorded during photography and those added subsequently), Foley, and music, but minus the dialogue (for use in the preparation of foreign language synchronized versions). Other formats must be approved in writing by Distributor’s Feature Post Production Department.

4. Stems: Delivery of separate (dialogue, music and sound effects) final mix “stem” masters with the audio configuration of 1) left; 2) right; 3) center; 4) sub; 5) left surround; 6) right surround.

Thanks again!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search