The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Free sound FX - urgent... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Free sound FX - urgent...

I didn't realize how much I was relying on the "Free sound project", which is currently down for upgrading.

I am just finishing a certain radio play production and I need urgently some nature - meadow, bees, etc. ambience and an ambience of a village...

I could easily find this on "free sound", but as mentioned - it's down.

Do you know of any similar sites like this one... anything I found was rather limited in scope, trying to sell me something or being completely untransparent, unsearchable... I'll try and "google" those FX some more, but for other cases when "Free sound" is down - do you know any at least remotely similar (in quality and scope of FX and easy search by tags and key words) free sites? I love that project, I also contribute sounds, participate in the community, but it also became my "go-to" source for the variety of FX for professional radio and audio book production. I'm rather lost without it.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I realized there are NO other sites such as the Free Sound Project.

It is completely unique in scope, diversity, tagging and easy and quick search and auditioning style, REAL free and legal use of the sounds, big community, enthusiasm, sharing... etc. and now I value it even more.

Had to dig up an old CD of mine (literally had to clean the dust from the cover of it ) with nature FX and fake the village with combining some of my own old recordings of a certain little town market place with some nature ambience to make an illusion of a "middle-eastern" nomadic countryside village.
But I KNOW there was for sure some recordist guy on vacation in some Sahara or Middle East area that contributed something to Free Sound and I could use the real thing instead of this fake.

"Free sound" please come back!!!! http://www.freesound.org/
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ah, and it's back after several days... but I managed without it...

Anyway, no replies, hmmm... maybe we can expand upon the original question (to which the answer is - no, there are no other sites like that one really) and it can turn into a short debate what do you think about this amazing (to me) project and do you also use it and contribute to it?

I am getting used to the new looks, I prefer the old one, but hey, that's always like that.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

If your livelihood or reputation depends on having sound effects, frigging buy them.

If you are doing student films or are a hobbyist, there are a lot of free sound effects online. On occasion I've downloaded free sounds from various sites but anyone serious about working in audio post-production has at least one full general library and an account with one of the paid sound FX sites for sounds they don't have.
Old 8th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
I am a big fan of Soundsnap. $250 for a year of unlimited downloads. There are a lot of great sounds (and a few not great sounds) on the site.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hoffman View Post
I am a big fan of Soundsnap. $250 for a year of unlimited downloads. There are a lot of great sounds (and a few not great sounds) on the site.
Yes, this one looks usable, but if you only need one simple sound at the particular moment, you don't decide to join it... it is not really an alternative for Free sound project, which is even bigger in scope and variety of FX... (good and bad) and what is even more important - interactive - you can exchange sounds, request specific sounds, communicate with members...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
If your livelihood or reputation depends on having sound effects, frigging buy them.

If you are doing student films or are a hobbyist, there are a lot of free sound effects online. On occasion I've downloaded free sounds from various sites but anyone serious about working in audio post-production has at least one full general library and an account with one of the paid sound FX sites for sounds they don't have.
Well, this is only one part of my work, most sound libraries that are affordable are somewhat generic and average and not at all as flexible as using Free sound project with all its interactivity and sharing possibilities and a really crazy sound diversity. And whatever I found free was not even close to Free sound scope and diversity of FX.

Just for fun I typed "berber village" a minute ago - and guess what - Freesound.org - sound search (bare in mind that previews are not in original quality - for being quicker - but for downloading you have to sign in of course)

Or you find a speech of a mayor from Timbuktu, ambient of some remote village on some Meditteranean island, zillion synth fx, pre-desinged sounds, great raw material, close up recordings of materials, fabric, steps, metal, wood, nature, household items, some quick foley when you don't have time to record it yourself (quick jobs - some commercials needed to be done in an hour, etc.), sexy female speech, monsters, screams, underwater, whatever, etc.

What is great is this sharing thing - I maybe only do some 10 radio plays a year and some stories, etc., so I don't need some expensive libraries and I love to record my own ambients, FX and "foley", and after I use it and also the things I didn't use - I share with the rest. They only need to credit me (the license I chose) and the same for other users when you use their material. So you get all sorts of feedback who used your sounds and you contact them - some student of animation used my sounds for the final work he did and asked me if I could record some more specific sounds of percussion - castanets, bongos, udu, ocean drums, etc. that he would like to use in it. I did it and a year later the animated film was shown at some festival in France, with my credit and all. No money in it, but nice exchange and fun. And on other occasions I get sounds for free that I use commercially - so it all more or less evens out - but having this vast variety of sounds at your disposal for FREE whenever you need them... and you can even request specific sounds and most of the time you get something you can't record yourself at the moment... Like snowstorm, when there's summer in your part of the planet.

It is a very unique project and I am not aware of any library as vast and growing as this one.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
This sounds like a love letter to Freesound.org
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
This sounds like a love letter to Freesound.org
Ha, or an advert for them
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFrequency View Post
Ha, or an advert for them
heh Love letter then, since they don't sell anything... (OK, a T-shirt and ask for voluntary donations... but that's all)

P.S. Did I say I REALLY like that project.

OK, enough of this emotional **** from me... I needed some alternative to this, they're back with a renewed site and I'm fine. End of story.

This was really not intended to be some sort of advertisement for the Free Sound Project... I was really searching for something similar online, but couldn't find anything. My emotional outburst in praise of this project is sincere.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

For example - where else can you find such an exchange:

Freesound.org - forums - Sample Requests - very unusual sample needed - silver birch leaves, no trafic

A guy looking for a recording of silver birch leaves shaking in the "transparent" wind with no traffic or insects - and he gets a recording from someone!! - it is even geotagged - so you can even see where it was recorded.

Isn't this worthy of a love letter? heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
The one thing about the freesound project is the creative commons licence. I'm not sure which one they're specifically using, my client does not want their video/ad/etc. under a creative commons licence because I use sounds from freesound. If you get what I mean?
Old 9th September 2011
Yes you need to pay attention to what kind of creative commons license is being granted. ie: non-commercial, no derivative works, share-a-like, attribution in the credits of the work...?
Old 9th September 2011
If the license grants usage in commercial projects there should be no problem. Your production is not automatically licensed under Creative Commons if you use sounds from freesound.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Own a microphone and recorder? How much time could have been saved by just creating your own sound effect while the site was down?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you would read the whole thread you would know that of course I do and I also like to share. Driving out of town to get what I was searching for was not really a time saving option, plus it was raining, which is not exactly perfect to get a faux middle eastern village atmosphere. :-)

About the licences - some explained it a bit already and now with a new version they only allow three, for the ease of use. Check the site for more info.

There's really nothing else online that could compare to that project. I fully realised this just know when it was down when I needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerins View Post
Own a microphone and recorder? How much time could have been saved by just creating your own sound effect while the site was down?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, it seems each sound sample has it's own licence. Don't know how the attribution thing would work if I don't get credited for my work on a project! (Some projects just come and go with no credits given to anyone at all).
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

lmao love the sheep showing up in that sample. So random.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
Yeah, it seems each sound sample has it's own licence. Don't know how the attribution thing would work if I don't get credited for my work on a project! (Some projects just come and go with no credits given to anyone at all).
You credit where you can. Or if you can't in the project (radio jingles, etc.), you mention the credits in the description of the work you did. You can also ask such questions on their forum. I'm sure people would clear it. Everything can be debated... and most people even don't care about the credits, they just want to contribute and also use the variety of sounds...

I wouldn't fear using this database for legal reasons... it was based on completely other mentality than "mine-yours" - it's about participating, exploring, sharing, etc.
Old 11th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
The sound fx on that sure are shocking. Maybe ok for radio but nothing else.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Concept View Post
The sound fx on that sure are shocking. Maybe ok for radio but nothing else.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Well, the quality varies... there are tens of thousands members with hundreds of sounds shared by each one of them, some even share thousands of sounds. So among all that there is a lot of quality stuff, too.

One sound was even used in a mainstream movie - "The Children of Men" and properly credited by the rules of Free Sound.

Bare in mind that the preview is compressed and in ****ty quality, just to give you an idea what the sound is about - you have detailed info of the original resolution and usually even the description of the technology used to record it and all... so you can judge before downloading it.

You also develop a sense what might sound good despite the compression of the preview...

Anyway, I don't expect that everyone will write love letters to it, but it is a unique project none the less. I would be even glad if there would be more similar projects, to have a choice... but as it is - it is the one and only of its kind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search