The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitoring ltrt Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

monitoring ltrt

Hello. I'd like to know the best way of monitoring a ltrt mix. Up till now, I've been using the built in pl2 encoder in my daw software (sequoia) to make the ltrt from my 5.1 mix, and checking the ltrt as stereo playback. The ones I have checked on a dvd player were what I expected, but I know i should be checking the decode on a regular basis. I'm looking at a new monitor controller (coleman) that will do a fold down, but that's not the same as checking the decode of the ltrt for steering problems etc...how do the big kids handle this? Thanks,
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

well, in a larger studio you'd be outputing the audio from the controller or mixer (from pro tools) through a dobly box into the speakers (decode), but, you can also use the neyrinck soundcode ltrt to decode the ltrt in pro tools, outputting those tracks to the speakers.

on a cheap basis, you could send the audio out as a stereo ltrt into a consumer amp, but this is calibrated so usually isn't the best.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
well, in a larger studio you'd be outputing the audio from the controller or mixer (from pro tools) through a dobly box into the speakers (decode), but, you can also use the neyrinck soundcode ltrt to decode the ltrt in pro tools, outputting those tracks to the speakers.

on a cheap basis, you could send the audio out as a stereo ltrt into a consumer amp, but this is calibrated so usually isn't the best.
Neyrinck does not have a decoder (I am hoping that is a yet). A consumer amp cannot take a PCM stream and decode it. AC3 out of a player is another matter.

You need a Dolby decode box (SDU-4, DP564), or,

Avid | Dolby Surround Tools
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Great thanks. I'll look into that plug. Hopefully they have a vst version.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppen View Post
Great thanks. I'll look into that plug. Hopefully they have a vst version.
It's TDM.

There is also SurCode from Minnetonka Audio.

SurCode for Dolby Pro Logic II - Minnetonka Audio Software, Inc
Old 6th September 2011
I just bought a Dolby SDU4 decoder on ebay for $30. Works flawlessly. Old analog technology like this can be picked up cheap. It has folddown options for stereo and mono too and a master volume.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search