The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favourite dither? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th September 2011
Your favourite dither?

Getting mainly 24 bit source stuff these days to mix, but still have to deliver 16-bit PCM stereo mixes in most cases parallel to any other encodes (LtRt, AC3 etc) - sometimes it's actually the *only* thing I deliver (for web videos, for example).

What sort of dither do people here use? I tend to use the iZotope MBIT+ in Wave Editor after a final QC listen... but sometimes wonder if I should just use a 'flat' algorithm.

Haven't run into a single problem yet with the way I've been doing it, just thought I'd check to see what others are up to...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Are there really any noticeable differences between different dithering software?
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljustice00 View Post
Are there really any noticeable differences between different dithering software?
That's one way of summarising my initial post. What do you think?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ya there are differences in dithering. Some software dithering plugins have selections on what kind of dither you want for example, Waves L2 limiter. It shapes the overall sound differently depending on what selection you pick.

I personally use a clean transparent dither called UV22HR. It sounds nice and doesnt really change the sound.

But you should experiment with different kinds and see what you like the best.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is a very interesting post regarding dither by Steven Massey. I don't want to post it here without his permission and there is no direct link so please go to Massey Plugins Inc. click on "blog" and scroll down to the 7th post from the top. The post is called "Dither: A solution in search of a problem".
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
There is a very interesting post regarding dither by Steven Massey. I don't want to post it here without his permission and there is no direct link so please go to Massey Plugins Inc. click on "blog" and scroll down to the 7th post from the top. The post is called "Dither: A solution in search of a problem".

Very cool article. So the Sarcon dither at about $2000 is a waste of money? How surprising!!
And the Amarra plug-in which I demo'd at $1000 at the time (now at $600) I'd place in this basket. I've visited the SRC site Massey is referring to and IZ and Sarcon are quite visibly the cleanest of the lot - until you go deeper into the fine-print on how the test was performed - I'm really quite offended by some of these guys (Weiss for example) that play on their name and charge stupendous prices for a SRC program.
Please separate that statement from is hardware offerings.
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljustice00 View Post
NULL TEST.. ...
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

I use apogee UV22hr when going from 24bit to 16bit

J
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

my favorite dinner has got to be....

ham, egg and chips.....

ooooooh you said dither!

sonnox dithering is the bomb!

best

jim
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
I gave it a quick read and there's at least one error. Dither does not mask quantization noise.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I've visited the SRC site Massey is referring to...
No, you did not. You are mixing up dither and SRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
I gave it a quick read and there's at least one error. Dither does not mask quantization noise.
I have to say that I also disagree with some other posts, like the one about -0.3 dB normalization ("Mastering Irony").
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
No, you did not. You are mixing up dither and SRC.

I have to say that I also disagree with some other posts, like the one about -0.3 dB normalization ("Mastering Irony").

yup I meant dither - lack of sleep

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search