The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mono to Pseudo stereo Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mono to Pseudo stereo

I'm working on a doco and have a stack of archive commentary and crowd effects in mono that I would like to widen, I have set up a q10 on an Aux and I'm using the pseudo stere setting. I have also set-up a bit of verb.
It really needs a stack of effects sweeteners.. But I have a tight deadline.

Any other quick plug-ins or tricks I could try?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Buss to some chorus. It can widen stereo image pretty well. If your on PT, check out some presets on AIR Chorus for a start.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Or make a copy and offset maybe around 7ms. Pan original left or right, and the copy the opposite of original.
Old 6th September 2011
Cut the crowd track in the middle, put them on timeline both on two channels, and send 1st part to left, second part to right
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

i liked the widen plugin from AIR on PT9. you have to tweak the settings to make it stereo enough to fool QC but not enough to get chorusing sfx. that plus reverb.

now, other threads mentioned something about phase problems when making a LTRT that will decodes properly when using these such techniques.

id like read more about this if anyone is interested. still pertinent to the main thread.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Plugins can be nice, but I haven't come across on that does it for me to feed in a Mono & get back a nice Stereo all the time.

Mono ambiences can be cut on a track for Left, then chop in half and use the mid point to start a Right. Watch for the same voice-bird-clank-__ cycling around too often.
Slipping a few Ms might work, but seems scary to me as its still very close. Heard voice overs or FX with a bit of delay going to one side to spread it wider, but it usually doesn't play well Mono'd or in an LtRt.

A Mono button on your monitor controller would be very useful here.
I use mine a lot.
Also listening your 'downmix' or Left-Right, through a Pro-Logic decoder is a very good idea.

The difference can be big between your 5.1 and the broadcast's LoRo, which a huge number of people might listen to as a LtRt.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search