The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Essential learning for video game sound
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Essential learning for video game sound

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in working in video game sound design (like a whole lot of people ). I have a year of experience working in post-prod for TV and Film as an assistant editor and VO editor, I've done some pre-mixes...I'm pretty good at sound design and mixing as I've been making electronic music for 5-6 years. Problem is, every job position seems to involve a bit of programming, using middleware, etc... All stuff which I have never touched.

Could any of you in the field point me to essential stuff I have to learn, good tutorials, good practice when applying for positions?

I also considered taking gameplay clips from various games and recreating the sound from scratch to act as a demo reel of sorts. Is this useful, considering it's basically linear video and not "game audio", or am I better off trying to work with indie devs on games and mods to show my work?

Thank you!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head
I am no expert, but you should look around here;
GameAudio Forum • Index page

Nice folks and some good resources.

Reading books might help a little, Aaron Marks book on Game Audio, while geared mostly towards composers, can shed some light on the process. Designingsound.org is a great resource.

I would think your VO editing skills would translate well. Most middleware can be downloaded for free. So you can grab it and get familiar with it.

Designing sound to a game capture is certainly worthwhile. What seems to shine above all else is original content and avoiding recognizable commercial SFX like the plague.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledub View Post
I would think your VO editing skills would translate well. Most middleware can be downloaded for free. So you can grab it and get familiar with it.

Designing sound to a game capture is certainly worthwhile. What seems to shine above all else is original content and avoiding recognizable commercial SFX like the plague.
Cool, I will make sure to put emphasis on that. I figure a huge chunk of games these days is dialog.

Of course I was planning on recording/creating everything myself as much as possible, maybe include a bit of "making of" video in the reel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search