The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT9 out of memory error Turntables
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

PT9 out of memory error

I'm using PT9+CPTK on a win7 64bit machine with 12gb Ram. I know PT is 32 bit and I understand the RAM limitations.

Is there a way to get PT to use 4gb of un-used ram? because it seems to only be interested in the ram that is also being used to run my OS which is considerable.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

4 gigs for now
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Vienna Ensemble Pro lets you open instances of it and use all of the ram on your machine, leaving PT it's own 4 gigs to work in.
L.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's what I figured. I moved the job over to Nuendo. thanks
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just ran into this on a second job now.

So, to the long time protools user, what exactly is the point of CPTK? just for editing while most of the tracks are disabled? I mean it says that I can run 192 tracks at the same time.. I guess that means with out audio on them.

I do like knowing that if I wanted to and/or had the means, I could bring a hard drive to an HD room.. but the reality is that if I had projects with budgets that could afford that, I'd have just picked up my own HD rig.

Boooooooo

I hope 64bit comes soon.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jesse, what is eating up your RAM? Can you describe your session a bit? Are you just mixing or are you using some soft-instruments as well? Maybe switching from Altiverb to TL Space would solve the issue? I haven't used PT/CPTK on any bigger projects, because it gets sluggish after you pack enough audio in it, but I never noticed any unusual RAM consumption (compared to 32bit Nuendo).
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Something isn't right. I've run cptk session near 192 all the time. I'm on pt native now but I have sessions easily at 180 tracks. Are you sure your disk isn't dragging down?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

The film isn't even 20 minutes long. The last job this started happening on was 4 minutes long.

I have disabled plug ins one by one to see what the biggest hogs are but even with them all shut off it only saves me maybe 300mb of ram.

I'm doing lots of volume and send automation, that is being thinned out but most tracks are auto enabled most of the time. I have 10 dialog tracks, 8 mfx 8sfx 4 BGs and 10 music. everything is routed directly to stem busses, 2 Dx altiverbs, 1 sfx air verb, 1 music altiverb. No virtual instruments or samplers. No elastic audio. There are a handful of vca faders going also.

All the stems are routed to a master aux and all of it is monitored through a record enabled track so I can hear only what is going to be printed. There is also an LtRt encoding track that is using surcode and the neryick stereo plug. that is not being monitored. Like I said, disabling all the plugins does not really free up much space.

If this seems like something PT should be able to handle I'd love to know what I can do to make it work more efficiently. other pt guys I know say that I probably won't be able to do what I want to do with out HD.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I worked for a little while with Eucontrol and the avid controls off. This free'd up another hundred or so MB of ram and I was able to do a little more work. But now I'm getting access violation at location 0x00000000 messages.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I imported sesh data for the whole film into a new session - getting slightly better performance and no more errors... for now.

I went throught the film and deleted any unused automation that was being written by vca faders. I consolidated a few FX tracks that really didn't need their own tracks. Got the idle ram consumption down about another 150mb. In the grand scheme this isn't really much.

I watched a ram meter while I went through the film and it will fluctuate up and down but it seems to steadily climb as I go. What would cause this?

I've focused so much on getting up to speed with editing and mixing on PT but I really don't know much about it's quirks.

All that is certain is that this simple job seems to be the very limit of what is possible with this system. I'm going to keep digging but I'm still just shocked that this is the case.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Clearing unused tracks and regions help a bit, also consolidating everything so there is minimal fades is key. You can further cut down by printing your fx and buss processing. Have you played much with the parameter under the playback engine? If you're happy to sacrifice and have the system less responsive, you can free up some ram. If you haven't restarted for a while, wasted ram data space accumulates. Also wherever your playback marker is, once you push play, protools is already calculating what is up ahead, so if you're automation starts getting more involved, that will definitely make the system choke a little more in ye midst of your session. Hope this helps or gives you ideas to streamline better
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

One of the Nuendo versions a long time ago had a memory leak, where you could watch the memory consumption climb steadily until crash.
Another possible cause of memory increase can be Altiverb. Watch the memory meter while it switches the presets - I don't use Altiverb anymore, but I remember it had this problem, which probably means that it is not clearing the previous impulse data, but only allocating more ram on every impulse change, even if you alternate between the same presets.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you Beau.. That's exactly the info I'm looking for. Coming from 64 bit nuendo, resource managment is not even something I think about. My largest feature job this year ate up 60% of my CPU and I don't think I even know how to make it use more that 8gb of ram. It's really a Ferrari.

I have fades all over the place. The edit is finished at this point and I could theoretically duplicate those edit tracks and work with only consolidated versions of them. I'm going to try that and hide/disable the edit.

Danijel thank you for the altiverb tips. I'm not actually automating anything in altiverb on this job but good to know that that is a sticky point.

In the meantime I've been researching ways to get win7 to chill out a little on it's needs and I've been able to shave off another couple hundred MB there too.

I will report back, thanks so much for your help guys
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

After cleaning up the session and consolidating regions I now have the whole thing running under 3gb. I have not yet played the whole thing back but I think I'm out of the woods for now.

So is the general rule of thumb in PT to always consolidate things you don't think you'll need to tinker with later?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I dunno. I have a session open right now with 8 22 minute shows in it and 180 tracks.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

After working on this for a while now I think the main problem is how much ram my OS is using. PT is only really using about 1gb right now after the clean up.. but that's on top of everything else.

Windows 7 has a feature called super fetch that stores commonly used items that you use often in the RAM. It learns you as the user and the computer seemly just gets faster and faster as it gets to know you. Now this cache is supposed to be usable by other programs when it's needed but for some reason it doesn't look like protools is telling it to free up this space.

I can't figure out at this point why my OS needs 1.8gb to idle. but there's the problem I believe
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

is protools running as administrator?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Jesse-

I am not very saavy on the ins and outs of WIN PT, but I know on the mac, that region groups can eat up a lot of memory.... if you are using them, you might try ungrouping the regions....
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
After working on this for a while now I think the main problem is how much ram my OS is using. PT is only really using about 1gb right now after the clean up.. but that's on top of everything else.
With 32bit versions of windows, the OS and the programs had to be all packed into the same memory space of 2-3Gb (depending on the configuration).

With Win7 64bit, every program (even 32bit) has its own memory space of up to 4GB. Knowing your machine is packed with RAM, I guess your OS RAM consumption doesn't relate to your problem.

Are you using an AMD processor by any chance?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, not running as admin but I'm set up so everything runs as admin.. I'm working away from my set up today, I will double check this though, I've see something about this before.

There were a fair amount of region groups in there, now consolidated. Good info thanks Charles.

Speaking of groups and fades and whatnot.. a disabled track is totally shut off correct? all that is left is the graphical representation that there is something available to activate more or less right? I ask because I'm always going to want access to my edits if I need to change something and I'm hoping that leaving it on a disabled track will help manage resources.

No AMD, intel i7. Non digi plugins are also a factor here.. I can't remove some of them at this stage cause there just isn't time to redo the work, but this has been a good lesson learned. I haven't worried about resource management since Studio Vision Pro haha so I'm finding my feet again slowly.

Thanks to all you guys.
Old 6th September 2011
Hey Jesse, what file format is your video? Pro Tools has been known to eat it when h.264 comes along.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Originally I had H264. playback was great but really chunky durring editing and nav'ing. So I added a 2nd vid track that is DVCpro and activate that when I need it smooth and switch back to h264 when I need it clean.

I know that this is taxing, but I didn't think it's be that bad.

I'm on the lookout for anything that can convert to apple prores on a PC.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

HA it was not running as admin. That just shaved off another 1300mb of ram consumption. Thanks a lot
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice. I knew it must of been something weird.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

!!???
Old 7th September 2011

PT does not access 4gigs - maximum is 2.75 - realworld is more like 2...

get Vienna Ensemble Pro if you are programming a lot - flawless integration

Gamechanger....
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not composing here, just simple edit and mix. but thanks for the heads up tools

I think I spoke too soon. I was getting great performance last night but at this moment, PT + google chrome are running.. Ram use is 3400 and I'm getting access violation errors.. unable to back up errors and out of RAM errors. I also can not exit due to Ram.

System usage window says I'm using 30% rtas and 0% of everything else.. when in play back, disk use maxes out at 11%

This same exact session was running at 2300mb ram last night

I just don't get it.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
PT + google chrome are running..
In my experience, Chrome is a resource-hungry beast, since each page and plugin run as their own processes. I have all kinds of trouble if I try to do anything media related with Chrome running.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not composing here, just simple edit and mix. but thanks for the heads up tools

I think I spoke too soon. I was getting great performance last night but at this moment, PT + google chrome are running.. Ram use is 3400 and I'm getting access violation errors.. unable to back up errors and out of RAM errors. I also can not exit due to Ram.

System usage window says I'm using 30% rtas and 0% of everything else.. when in play back, disk use maxes out at 11%

I just don't get it.
Have you tested your ram?

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:

I just don't get it.
look at activity monitor - RAM usage in tools is nothing like constant...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search