The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Deliverables for 2 different networks
Old 2nd September 2011
Deliverables for 2 different networks

Hello everyone!

I have an upcoming series in which I'll need to create 2 separate sets of deliverables for 2 different networks. One is the standard stereo discovery type (limited to -10, -27 dialnorm, undipped M&E) The other network is requesting DIPPED stereo M&Es and stems, an "un-squashed" stereo dialog limited at -4 (with no dialnorm) and a ProTools session. Apparently, the network wants to create their own surround mix using my stereo stems.

This is new territory for me and seems like they're asking a lot. Has anyone ever had to deal with this type of request? Would the "un-squashed" dialog stem just be a matter of creating a new dialog buss and raising the level 6 dB (and maybe lightening up the compression a bit) or would I have to remix the entire show? Seems like I'd have to adjust the level of the music to compensate for the differing dialog levels. My head hurts just thinking about the massive template I'm going to need to create to fulfill all these requests.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Jeff, get good at setting up PT busses. For the Un-squashed Dx stem, It sounds like they are asking for the Dx mix, minus any compression/limiting that you would be doing to make the track hit -27. If you are using a master Dx bus compression chain, this Un-Squashed Dx track would be feed before that.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Hello everyone!

I have an upcoming series in which I'll need to create 2 separate sets of deliverables for 2 different networks. One is the standard stereo discovery type (limited to -10, -27 dialnorm, undipped M&E) The other network is requesting DIPPED stereo M&Es and stems, an "un-squashed" stereo dialog limited at -4 (with no dialnorm) and a ProTools session. Apparently, the network wants to create their own surround mix using my stereo stems.

This is new territory for me and seems like they're asking a lot. Has anyone ever had to deal with this type of request? Would the "un-squashed" dialog stem just be a matter of creating a new dialog buss and raising the level 6 dB (and maybe lightening up the compression a bit) or would I have to remix the entire show? Seems like I'd have to adjust the level of the music to compensate for the differing dialog levels. My head hurts just thinking about the massive template I'm going to need to create to fulfill all these requests.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2011
Thanks Randall, that's what I was thinking. This template is going to be a doozie.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Does the PT session have your stems in it, or is it meant to be your "working" PT session w/ all the edits and plugs etc? Weird--why would they want to remix w/dipped fx and music....

phil p
Old 2nd September 2011
I'm assuming they want to use the dipped stems with the "un-squashed" dialog mix to create the surround mix. The second network is a spanish language network, so they may need both to keep their re-voicing options open, but I'm really not sure. That's just what they're asking for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search