The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
T.C. Icon: Faders Control Surfaces
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

T.C. Icon: Faders

Hey, I post this here since I guess most of the rerecording-guys have used the System 6000 over the years.

My Icon's faders are not really working good anymore. Did anyone of you have the same problems?

If I push them up after going down, the value often keeps on decreasing.
Also, it's difficult to adjust tiny steps, because the values often 'jump'.

So, anyone with experience on that? I don't have the time to send in the Icon-controller to T.C., use it every day.

Thanks in advance!
Old 31st August 2011
Warning RANT ON: ....don't even bother tying to send the ICON in for service.... I've requested a repair number about 3 weeks ago for my ICON CPU unit... I finally got an email telling me that they are a bit backlogged and will be in touch to set up a repair order in a few more weeks.... Last time I purchase hardware from TC ELECTRONIC....! I own 2 fully loaded System 6000s and ICONS and you'd think after spending over $40,000 for gear, the bloody company might give me a phone number to talk to someone. It used to be nice, I could just call the local rep, bidda bang, bidda boom... done. now 6 weeks and I still don't have a repair number...

RANT OFF....
sigh...

cheers
geo
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Here is their US number:
+1 (818) 665-4900
Old 31st August 2011
cool.. thanks DR

cheers
geo
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

TC Electronic has one of the worst reps in the business for customer service. At least they finally communicated w/ Geo about her TC6000. For lesser stuff I have never gotten any response from them at all. Even places that were authorized to do "factory service" could not get help/parts etc from them. They also own Dynaudio, and made a company that formerly had decent support into one that had virtually no support at all.

phil p
Old 31st August 2011
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Hey, I post this here since I guess most of the rerecording-guys have used the System 6000 over the years.

My Icon's faders are not really working good anymore. Did anyone of you have the same problems?

If I push them up after going down, the value often keeps on decreasing.
Also, it's difficult to adjust tiny steps, because the values often 'jump'.

So, anyone with experience on that? I don't have the time to send in the Icon-controller to T.C., use it every day.

Thanks in advance!
Mine should be now nearly ten years old and works just fine (non-smoker). I don't know if you use MIDI connections for automation or sysex dumps. One time I had accidentally a MIDI loop thru my DAW software and the symptoms were quite similar as you describe.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Mine should be now nearly ten years old and works just fine (non-smoker). I don't know if you use MIDI connections for automation or sysex dumps. One time I had accidentally a MIDI loop thru my DAW software and the symptoms were quite similar as you describe.
Yeah, I use the MIDI for sysex dumps.

Gotta see if I have a loop.

Thanks nkf and everybody to chime in.

Georgia, sorry to hear your problems. I'm in Germany, so maybe I'll have more luck if the tip above doesn't work.
Old 31st August 2011
mine works fine except the ICON remote screen bounces between a variety of solid colors..... so it's either the screen.... or the 1 rack space PC head for the ICON...

cheers
geo
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
mine works fine except the ICON remote screen bounces between a variety of solid colors..... so it's either the screen.... or the 1 rack space PC head for the ICON...

cheers
geo
well, I had a screen-issue some years back as well. Everything turned into a psychedelic red kinda.

Try to reseat the cabling between the CPU and the remote.
Old 1st September 2011
sounds like my problem... I've tried re-seating the cable, but i'll try it again just for fun.

cheers
geo
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, it's too far back in time, but it could also have been a ribbon-connection inside the Icon-CPU-unit.

Make sure to check that out as well. It was 100% a cable not seating perfectly.
Old 6th September 2011
Over here there is a good company that services TC Electronic units. I had an Icon go down, and it was repaired within the week.

My biggest gripe with the 6000 (which I otherwise love) is that you cant save automation files on the network, and have to be stuck with those crappy floppies.
Oh! And the mess they call the MKII. Come on!! It's 2011 and they still cant upgrade the CPU to run 4 5.1 reverbs???
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

After the customer support I got for ProControl, I don't think I could purchase another Avid control surface. Customer support was completely non-existent.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
After the customer support I got for ProControl, I don't think I could purchase another Avid control surface. Customer support was completely non-existent.
Rick,
This is for the TC Electronics Icon on the 6000
NOT the Avid Icon.
If you thought Avid support for your Pro Control was bad
TC is worse.
BTW I have had nothing but great experiences with Avid.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Do you still have problems wih your ICON, kosmokrator? What OS Version do you have?

You should have at least 3.60. If not, go to the TC homepage and download it there... Check out the version history, a similar issue is described there (at the very end of the document).

TC Electronic | System 6000 MKII Support

Looking for someone who has to sell an ICON with remote CPU... Do you know anyone?
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

The ICON remote software is free now, you may want to try it. It puts one or more ICONs on your desktop monitor and would be viable while getting a hardware ICON serviced. I sometimes use several instances to keep open different parameter pages at the same time. Doesn't replace hardware faders but still very useable.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
Do you still have problems wih your ICON, kosmokrator? What OS Version do you have?

You should have at least 3.60. If not, go to the TC homepage and download it there... Check out the version history, a similar issue is described there (at the very end of the document).

TC Electronic | System 6000 MKII Support

Looking for someone who has to sell an ICON with remote CPU... Do you know anyone?
Thanks for the tip echo, but I have a newer OS than 3.60.
Check the thread in the mastering forum, there was someone selling his ICON, but I don't know if it includes the remote CPU.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
I have an old 6000 in storage.
We never really liked it much.
Using lexicon 480/960, Altiverb or valhalla, I can quickly dial in a nice sounding verb. Not so on a System 6000 I always found the TC verbs way to tweaky and a tad to artificial sounding.

Email if interested. But the unit is in Sweden so it might cost a bit much to ship.

Email:erikeuropasoundse
Old 30th January 2012
Here for the gear

We have two 6000s with Icons for sale. PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Nick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search