The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NTG-3 vs. MKH 416
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

NTG-3 vs. MKH 416

Hello

I'm wondering if there's much difference between these two mics. I've heard, and read, vastly contrasting opinions from "they sound almost identical" to "the NTG-3 is not even in the same league" and it's difficult to know which opinions to trust.

I guess the biggest clue, is the price difference, with the Rode being almost half the price. But is the extra money spent on the MKH 416 representative of the quality gained? (Plus, I could get two rodes for the same price as one MKH 416)

I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who's used either/both of these microphones?

Cheers

(P.S. : I've searched for this topic on both this website and elsewhere and couldn't find a definitive answer I could trust)
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Pearson View Post
I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who's used either/both of these microphones?

Cheers

(P.S. : I've searched for this topic on both this website and elsewhere and couldn't find a definitive answer I could trust)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5866666-post71.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6107896-post3.html
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

On an ADR session the other day, I used the 416 as my primary mic with the NTG-3 about a foot behind the 416 (recording to a separate track). Sounds great, and would be a great addition to your collection.
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks minister, that was a great resource - who better than Charles Maynes to get an opinion on it eh? I must have skimmed over that because the thread title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMilner View Post
On an ADR session the other day, I used the 416 as my primary mic with the NTG-3 about a foot behind the 416 (recording to a separate track). Sounds great, and would be a great addition to your collection.
Thanks Joe. Would you say the two were comparable then?

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Pearson View Post
But is the extra money spent on the MKH 416 representative of the quality gained? (Plus, I could get two rodes for the same price as one MKH 416)
Hi Fred,
I've used the 416 once for a short documentary and heard it a few more times in projects recorded by my film school colleagues. I own the NTG-3 and I've done one 74 min. documentary, couple of shorter films and some ADR and FX recordings with it. I've also used two NTG-3s to record the on set ambience sound in stereo.

To me, the 416 sounds good and I definitely think that it's a good mic. The funny part is that the NTG-3 is as good as the 416. Each of them sounds a bit different, but it's not very significant. I know that Rode doesn't have the "pro" reputation as the Sennheiser has, but this model is IMO outstanding. It has a very low self-noise and sounds great on many sources, including musical instruments. I love my NTG-3 and will get one more ASAP.

So to answer the question I quoted - no, I don't think the 416 is worth the extra money.

Tom
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakir_cz View Post
Hi Fred,
I've used the 416 once for a short documentary and heard it a few more times in projects recorded by my film school colleagues. I own the NTG-3 and I've done one 74 min. documentary, couple of shorter films and some ADR and FX recordings with it. I've also used two NTG-3s to record the on set ambience sound in stereo.

To me, the 416 sounds good and I definitely think that it's a good mic. The funny part is that the NTG-3 is as good as the 416. Each of them sounds a bit different, but it's not very significant. I know that Rode doesn't have the "pro" reputation as the Sennheiser has, but this model is IMO outstanding. It has a very low self-noise and sounds great on many sources, including musical instruments. I love my NTG-3 and will get one more ASAP.

So to answer the question I quoted - no, I don't think the 416 is worth the extra money.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your opinion, it is exactly what I wanted to know. Seems like getting two NTG-3's seems to be the way to go!

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search