The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making 5.1 files from quadro recordings DAW Software
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Making 5.1 files from quadro recordings

Hi all,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find any similar thread.

I've recorded several quadro atmoses (L, R, LS, RS) using a DPA 5100 Mobile Surround mic as well as other setups, and want to derive a centre and LFE channel to create 5.1 files. I've been trying to find out what the best way would be to do this in practice, but haven't been able to find any 'official' information.

My questions are:
Would it be so simple as to make the LR into a mono, for the centre channel? Would this create phasing problems? And would it even be useful, if the dialogues are in the centre speaker anyways? What's the dubbing mixer's view on this?
For deriving a LFE - I've heard that some simply take the centre channel and apply a low pass filter with cut-off at around 120Hz with a 12dB/Octave filter slope. Is it worth having something in the LFE even if there isn't much low end in the recording?
With my recording of passing traffic that has plenty of bottom-end, should I remove the low-end (below 120Hz) in the other 5 channels to 'keep' the low end for the LFE?

I've got both Nuendo 4 with the Matrix decoder, Pro Tools and Blue Sky surround setup, so should have all the tools needed.
Very grateful for any advice or info from anyone who has done this before!

All the best,
Anna
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Making 5.1 files from quadro recordings

Depends on the mixer you work with. If you just sum the LR into the C channel it'll murk up when folded down from 5.1 to stereo. My suggestion- keep atmos how they were recorded: quadrophonic. Leave the C for dlg and room tone and LFE for its namesake - low freq effects. That'll keep things kosher for all formats.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I would never put atmos in the lfe. So you could fold the l/r into the c at -3
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you for your thoughts - it's always good to have second opinions.
Makes sense. I guess, with leaving it quadro and not making a centre, it will keep things from becoming messed up further down the line, and the mixer can always feed a bit of room tone into the C anyways...

Thanks,
A
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Center (Waves) works pretty well if you want to create a Center channel from stereo tracks, it basically extracts the phantom center from the stereo channels, you should give it a try!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search