The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording a caned audience Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Recording a caned audience

My boss has been kind enough to allow me to record some caned audience sounds at our next big company meeting. I have two cardioid condensers I can use (Shure PG81). There will be about 50-100 people at the meeting in a large TV studio used for news broadcasts. Unfortunately, I can't use the station's new fancy schmancy digital audio board. (The only stipulation was I couldn't use ay of the station's equipment. Something about avoiding ownership issues.)

I'm looking for advice on how to place the mics. How High? How far away? The studio is huge compared to the amount of people, so I have virtually unlimited placement options. I'll only have two tracks available, though.

Thank you.

Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

I've heard that caning is still practiced in places like Singapore, but I think it's mostly done to individuals. An entire audience being caned at once should present a unique challenge. I imagine the shrieks of pain will require mics that can handle the sound pressure levels.

(Sorry to shamelessly exploit what was no doubt an innocent typo.)
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd put them in X-Y as high up & away as you can pointing at the crowd.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Can you use more than 2 mics? Depending on the sound quality you want, it may be better to use many microphones, closer to the people, mixed together into a pleasing stereo image. This is how I have captured studio audience in the past. Distant x/y is nice, but for audience giggles and laughs, many microphones is better I think. A dozen mics placed around is nice (a main x/y pair with lots of spot fills)

If I had only 2 mics but plenty of height, I'd x/y high over the crowd, maybe 1/3 back, pointing somewhat toward the back. Then you'd get the feeling of depth, yet still have some people closer. If the ceiling is not very high, I would consider 2 or 3 identical pairs. If you have no mixer, consider Y cables. Even with phantom mics, Y cables will usually work for 2 mics per preamp input. (This suggestion will probably bring a few hoots from other gs members, but it works. One of the finest orchestral engineers I ever worked with used Y cables on some string section mics when the orchestra size outgrew the board inputs.)
Old 2nd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Story View Post
I've heard that caning is still practiced in places like Singapore, but I think it's mostly done to individuals. An entire audience being caned at once should present a unique challenge. I imagine the shrieks of pain will require mics that can handle the sound pressure levels.

(Sorry to shamelessly exploit what was no doubt an innocent typo.)
Fred, I'm greatly relieved that you took the bait. I saw the original post last night before any replies and it took all my strength to just let it pass. Now I can relax and enjoy the absurd images that this subject produces!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

I'm sure I'll get my payback when someone pounces on one of my inevitable typos.

I'm glad there were some useful answers. I feel a little less guilty now.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search