The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5.1, Stereo, and Progressive Enhancement in DVD Authoring Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

5.1, Stereo, and Progressive Enhancement in DVD Authoring

Ok.. so yesterday I was asked if I could create a little music for a DVD that needs to be finished by.. the end of this weekend. I was already.. doing some graphic design / motion graphics / basic stuff for it.. and might be doing some of the DVD authoring.

Trouble is I don't really know too much about DVD authoring.. I've got a subscription to Lynda.com though.. and Apple's DVD Studio Pro.. as a part of Final Cut Pro... so.. I'm ok but...........

What I'm wondering is if there's a way where... I can have a 5.1 audio track that plays.. and if people just have stereo.. that they can still hear two of those 5.1 channels.. so that I can put 5.1 audio in places like.. the menu..

That way I make it in such a way that.. it'll work in stereo... and be all groovy.. but.. if they have 5.1... then it's like something, in the tradition of Church Lady.. extra special.

I've started this basic project in Ableton.. thinking I'll improvise out multiple version of what I'm working out.. and then kinda refine them into these different 5.1 mixes... for the sections they want the audio for...

It's like a Yoga DVD for kids with special needs.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Every DVD player/ Dolby Digital decoder will downmix 5.1 to stereo for stereo playback systems so you can safely use 5.1 AC3 for all your audio.
Old 31st December 2010
Yeah just mix it in 5.1 and include ac3 file as menu audio. Dolby digital will downmix to stereo on the fly before outputting to dvd player LR outs. You can fine tune the downmix settings in the metadata of the ac3 file.

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/z...data.Guide.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search