The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No. 1 best director/producer note in 2010
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

No. 1 best director/producer note in 2010

Below is from an email I received from a director who could not attend the mix of his movie. He thoughtfully sent me some guidelines on how to approach his film. It is, by far, one of my favorite notes ever and the winner for 2010.

Please feel free to add your own 2010 highlight. Happy New Year everyone.

Guys,

Please call me or email me from the mix with any questions. My general preferences are:

1. Lots of dynamic range with screaming highs and deafening silence

2. ADR only when absolutely necessary and sometimes not even then unless the line of dialogue is a plot point

3. Music and SFX/foley should not fight, but let music rule the roost sometimes and let SFX rule sometimes

4. The movie should be a drama with action elements so use that general template for levels

5. [Producer's name] is very good in the mix so hopefully he can take up some of my slack
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

lolol I cant I looked through some but eh cant risk it. i did respond to a set of notes with this one time this last year.

Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

That is great...here's to a 2011 with more like that.

My favorite one this year was "You know what to do, just send me a copy when you're done"

There's nothing quite like a director/producer who is not married to the temp and who trusts the people they hire to do their job.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

My favorites were the several variations on:

"How do I open a .rar file?"
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

That is pretty funny.

I haven't ever gotten any written notes like this, but I have gotten verbal notes from producers prior to the mix.

My policy is: I am the default authority as to how the mix should sound until someone on the stage who is higher up the food chain expresses an opinion that trumps mine. The person on the stage who is highest up the food chain at any given time is the ultimate authority. If someone can't be bothered to show up, then they cede their authority to the person who does show up. If no one shows up, that person is me (Yes, sometimes that actually does happen).

Regarding your tag about levels, I have found that 1dB is the minimum change that is required by any client note. There have been instances where less than 1dB does the trick, but I think that is probably a psychological phenomenum rather than a perceptual one. Often clients don't even perceive changes of less than 2 or 3dB.

In terms of thinking in terms of percentages, the scientific calculation of acoustic power is pretty useless. You just have to get a feel for each client's sensibility. It also depends on the audio content and context. Sometimes a couple of dB is negligible and other times it is a significant change. I think of percentage notes as pertaining to changes in emotional impact rather than acoustic power.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

This reminded me of a note form QC that was the exact opposite of Erics note.
We were hired to remix a documentary for a regular client, who went somewhere else that was cheaper, after they received only one not back form QC.
It said "This is all wrong. Please remix".
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

This year a client told me that a section of the mix of a doc was "too triumphant". Not the music, but the whole mix. Another memorable moment was being asked to rescue a track recorded on a Canon 5D camera with external mic turned off (but still plugged in). Yes, you could just about tell that the intermittent sounds drowning in noise were voices. No I could not rescue them (the patient died).

phil p
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
There's nothing quite like a director/producer who is not married to the temp and who trusts the people they hire to do their job.
No. That's a foreign concept to me. There IS nothing like that...

Jeff

Fave quote of 2010? Geez, that's a toughie.

Ok, pursuant to Gary's comments, I'll pick my quote as:

"That has to be a bit louder. I don't know, what...a couple of dBs or whatever?"
>>>(make 2dB louder adjustment)
"couple more."
"bit more"
"still more yet."
"yeah. Right there. Okay play that back?"
"Yeah. That's good. How many dB's was that?"
>>>"14"
"oh. Is that too much?"
>>>"it's a bit loud, but does it sound right to you?"
"yeah"
>>>"okay. Moving on!"

And also:

"that's a bit loud. Turn it down a touch."
"mm, too much."
"bit more?"
"too much. Back the other way."
"can you play the original level?"
"yep, ok, play where we have it now?"
"ok. good. right there."

Total change: .6dB

That's not good ears, that's just familiarity. NO DEAL!

And, to Brian's:
My fave 'I don't know...' quote has to be:
"2 pop? What's that?"

But the overall winner has to be:
"What are you asking ME for? You're the sound guy! Just make it sound good! Hahahaha"

Jeff
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
This reminded me of a note form QC that was the exact opposite of Erics note.
We were hired to remix a documentary for a regular client, who went somewhere else that was cheaper, after they received only one not back form QC.
It said "This is all wrong. Please remix".
Dude, you got a note back from QC like that????
I trust that QC engineer is no longer working there.

Jeff
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
"This is all wrong. Please remix".
Awesome.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
"This is all wrong. Please remix".
A friend of mine, who is a composer (and he is a really good one) has received a similar phone call:
- This is all wrong!
- Ok, but what, mood, instrumentation, tempo?
- No, no, this is just all wrong. Please recompose it!

So this means, that similar stuff happens at both sides of Atlantic Ocean

ALL BEST FOR THE NEW 2010 FOR EVERYBODY !!!

Kuba
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah View Post
Dude, you got a note back from QC like that????
I trust that QC engineer is no longer working there.

Jeff
Thing is, he was right.
The mix was horrible. A perfect example where they slammed compressors across all the busses, and rode the masters.
It really was simply all wrong.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

hehI'm doing a theatrical feature, we are close to the final mix, but the director is so busy with his next project, that he can't come to listen to the mix (here is in another country). He asked to send him what is ready, and I sent my 5.1 channel rough mix. I received back 92 notes (for an hour-length piece) of this sort "The phone ring doesn't sound like the phone is in the character's pocket." When I asked, what the monitoring conditions were, the reply was: "The picture editor has rendered a QT movie in FCP with sound folded down to stereo and I listened to it on my iPad."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search