The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
True Grit Post Sound Control Surfaces
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

True Grit Post Sound

There's a cool article about True Grit, at mixonline, the film was mixed ITB at Sony. The final was done at the Burt Lancaster stage, using Avid/Euphonix MC Mix fader packs.
True Grit Movie | Mixing True Grit Movie in Mix magazine December 2010
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Very cool, love the two photos on the second page of them with the euphonix controllers resting on top of the large console.

I have yet to see the movie but I have always thought that the coen brothers films had great sound.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I'm really looking forward to watch it in the theater!
Had the opportunity of sitting in a foley session so i'm really curious to hear it mixed in
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

True Grit Post Sound

I saw it last weekend and thought the sound was fantastic. Thought the dialog was some of the best I'd heard all year.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
I saw it last weekend and thought the sound was fantastic. Thought the dialog was some of the best I'd heard all year.
Watched it in Stereo on my plasma. The whole mix was excellent. At no time did the mix take me out of the story. I was more focused on seeing the new version vs the John Wayne version. Great acting in the latest version. Solid movie. Two Faders up!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Watched it in Stereo on my plasma. The whole mix was excellent. At no time did the mix take me out of the story. I was more focused on seeing the new version vs the John Wayne version. Great acting in the latest version. Solid movie. Two Faders up!
The sound in Coen Bros. films is always superb. I wish the Academy would sometime nominate something other than a "loud" film. Their teams deserve some kudos.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Two faders up ? Now there's a recommendation for ME.

Thanks for the link Emmanuel.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Very cool. I am a big fan of the sound in Coen bros movies.

I like their workflow. It really seems to be an efficient way to work if your sound team is organized. I bet it keeps the bloat to a minimum and let's them have precise control over the mix.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a huge fan of Skip, Craig and and Greg. Really incredibly talented guys. Skip and Craig have been instrumental in erasing the barrier between editing and mixing, which I applaud with all my heart, and Greg Orloff is one of the nicest, most personable and talented people I have ever met, and I am really impressed that he has been so successful at coming out of a traditional mixing role to collaborate with the new breed of editor/mixers who have broken down the walls that have defined post production sound in Hollywood for so many years.

I know that this model has existed for a long time in the margins of the industry, but these guys have brought it into the mainstream, and they deserve serious kudos for that.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Let's face it. Virtual mixing is simply the only way to go.
This is just another example of that.
Being able to do changes quickly and efficiently, is what directors and producers want. Without having to go into massive overtime.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

The article also mentions that they used a Wacom Cintiq. Has anyone here ever used it with PT? I'm curious as to how it was used.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Let's face it. Virtual mixing is simply the only way to go.
Thumbs up from this guy. thumbsup

Just came back from seeing the film and, yep, look someone has a thread going about the sound! Nice work Skip, Craig, Greg, and crew!

Honestly, I found some of it a bit mumbly (hahahahahaha for those that have seen, will know).

Excellent use of music and the winds and rumble served their places very well.
(not the thread for it, but just saw Black Swan last night and also good--I'll go out on a limb and predict both for mixing)

Dialogue, yeah, some nice location recording and clean up by the crew. Some neat uses of perspective and frequency shelving and verb (ie: not much of a spoiler----Rooster's first intro scene).

And great ADR performances.

Wish all films could take sound seriously like that and not have to have a film that is wall to wall carpeting, I mean 'underscore.' (And I'd still like to see someone put out an audio track on DVD of the rough cut audio)

Job well done, like all the Coen films I've seen. Good team; keep it going. Like the trend.

Jeff
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

I need to verify it, but I think they might have been at Sony to just do tweaks and printmaster....

I will try to ask Gregg this coming week....
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

That was a great article, thanks for posting. Btw, I'm assuming it does, but does that Euphonix MC Mix kit work with PCs? The demo just keeps referring to it as working "with your Macintosh."
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighttwelve View Post
That was a great article, thanks for posting. Btw, I'm assuming it does, but does that Euphonix MC Mix kit work with PCs? The demo just keeps referring to it as working "with your Macintosh."
No...

From their site:

Does the Euphonix Artist Series control surface work on a PC?

Euphonix Artist Series control surfaces work on Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

Euphonix Pro large format consoles and controllers do support EuCon on a PC...
Euphonix :: EuCon
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighttwelve View Post
I was told by an Avid sales rep in New York last month that PC support for artist series controllers is in the works. He mentioned the technology preview, where they showed them being used with a PC at a trade show and said there are some bugs to work out still before release.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks guys. Bummer, seems like an incredibly versatile piece of equipment.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search